Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe business owners

Options
  • 12-08-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, I am setting up a cafe in a regional town and besides rates that I will have to pay the council, there seems to be some sort of levy on the fact that I can't offer customers parking (so they will have to use the towns parking instead which I need to pay for). I believe I will be charged based on the number of tables in the cafe. But can anyone else tell me anything about this kind of charge? I'm particularly interested to know how much you pay and what location. But also if you don't have parking for customers but don't have a charge like this. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Never heard of this 'levy' before. Is it legal? What if all your customers cycled to town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Never heard of this either.

Where does the information come from?

I know at one of my premises where we have an instore cafe, there would be a levy if we put tables and chairs outside as we would in a way be extending our trading area, but I have never heard of a parking levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trmartin

This web site provide some information: businessregulation.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

trmartin wrote: »
    This web site provide some information: businessregulation.ie

specifically?

Good link though!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hi, I am setting up a cafe in a regional town and besides rates that I will have to pay the council, there seems to be some sort of levy on the fact that I can't offer customers parking (so they will have to use the towns parking instead which I need to pay for). I believe I will be charged based on the number of tables in the cafe. But can anyone else tell me anything about this kind of charge? I'm particularly interested to know how much you pay and what location. But also if you don't have parking for customers but don't have a charge like this. Thanks in advance!

If it's a local council charge/levy, it may be specific to your area. Have you called the council?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Graham wrote: »
    If it's a local council charge/levy, it may be specific to your area. Have you called the council?

Can local councils make up spurious taxes?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Can local councils make up spurious taxes?

I don't think they can invent brand new taxes but they can certainly find new and inventive ways to apply existing ones.

OP, phone the relevant local council. There's no point us all speculating when we don't know the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think the OP is referring to some sort of planning levy when the use of a premises is changed. It would be a once-off charge.

Just my guess, the OP needs further advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mandarin

I've heard of a few new cafes being affected by this, one such story covered here - http://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/several-new-shops-hit-with-huge-charge-27148159.html

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mandarin

• Advertisement
Advertisement