Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intrum Justitia

Options
  • 12-08-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi, I got a letter from Intrum Justitia saying there giving me an opportunity to pay or else they will,

Add additional costs and interest
    A collector will call to my house
    They will publish in Stubbs Gazette

now I find all this to be very cheeky of them with these threats, who are they to add interest? call to my house that is trespassing and Stubbs Gazette looks like a cheap made up website, the debt is 250 euro and littlewoods are the company,

any advice on what is the best course of action?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stubbs Gazette is real, but the chances of them bothering for 250 quid are close to non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

liam650 wrote: »
    Hi, I got a letter from Intrum Justitia saying there giving me an opportunity to pay or else they will,

now I find all this to be very cheeky of them with these threats, who are they to add interest? call to my house that is trespassing and Stubbs Gazette looks like a cheap made up website, the debt is 250 euro and littlewoods are the company,

thanks

Pay the debt you owe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

thanks

Its very cheeky of you not to pay your debt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Read the T&C from Littlewoods. Of course they are entitled to add interest and to pursue to debt. Is the debt legitimate? Do you owe the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

thanks

Yes, pay what you owe them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Why did you think you could take out debt and not pay it? I hope if you don't bother to pay it, they follow through on their threats. Teach some personal responsbility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

thanks
    it could be that nothing will happen

they make a lot of noise about stubs gazette and court proceedings

they may even send out phoney court proceedings and stubbs gazette entries

they also have an affiliated firm of solicitors who no doubt will be in contact too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Honesty is the best course.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭liam650

Thanks for all the replies, my understanding is that for debts of under 1000 euro it is much harder and not worth their while to re coup and a court order is needed for someone to enter a house, from what i have been reading about intrum justitia they can do nothing and send out so called scary letters to people and in the end nothing ever happens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Thanks for all the replies, my understanding is that for debts of under 1000 euro it is much harder and not worth their while to re coup and a court order is needed for someone to enter a house, from what i have been reading about intrum justitia they can do nothing and send out so called scary letters to people and in the end nothing ever happens

It doesn't matter that it's harder you need to take some personal responsibility and pay the money you owe.

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter that it's harder you need to take some personal responsibility and pay the money you owe.

I do not see the point, why should I pay money which i could put to better use to a company that scams people into paying huge amounts

paying child support is being responsible, helping out a friend is being responsible, being an overall good person and not hurting anyone in society is being responsible but this is just pointless, nobody benefits from it

I do not see the point, why should I pay money which i could put to better use to a company that scams people into paying huge amounts

paying child support is being responsible, helping out a friend is being responsible, being an overall good person and not hurting anyone in society is being responsible but this is just pointless, nobody benefits from it

The company doesn't scam people they're debt collectors and I wouldn't call someone who refuses to pau the money they owe an overall good person now really.

OSI wrote: »
    Congrats on the theft OP.

its not theft, there are circumstances around it, if you buy a coat for 100 euro and it turns out the quality is awful and there are full or rips and tears in it you expect to be given a refund or replacement

its not theft, there are circumstances around it, if you buy a coat for 100 euro and it turns out the quality is awful and there are full or rips and tears in it you expect to be given a refund or replacement

If the quality of something isn't good you return it you don't just keep the product and not pay for it.

If the quality of something isn't good you return it you don't just keep the product and not pay for it.

yes you return it and get a refund or replacement, anyway I havent decided on anything yet its just this crowd intrum dont seem to be nice

yes you return it and get a refund or replacement, anyway I havent decided on anything yet its just this crowd intrum dont seem to be nice

This crowd take the debt after you haven't paid after a long period of time. You can't just keep mthe product and take months to decide. Because you've waited you've lost all protection under the distance selling regulations and the company will just claim you caused the damage.

Also op its not up to you to decide whether you want a refund a replacement or a repair its up to the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

years ago I.J sent me loads of letters,nuisance phone calls all hours of the day/evening and in the end because they added so much to a debt I was trying but struggling to pay off I told them to fcuk off unless they reduced it back to what I owed,as I genuinely was trying so much I even went to MABS.they went away eventually,so did I!

Also op its not up to you to decide whether you want a refund a replacement or a repair its up to the company.

well if a product isnt up to standards then it should be replaced, its not as tho it was some item picked up in the sale bin for a fiver, it was a coat and i was very dissapointed i couldnt enjoy it

well if a product isnt up to standards then it should be replaced, its not as tho it was some item picked up in the sale bin for a fiver, it was a coat and i was very dissapointed i couldnt enjoy it

Have you returned the coat or not? How long has it been since you bought it? What contact have you made with the company about the quality of the coat. Have you worn or used the coat since you purchased it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

???

a) This debt must be outstanding for months and months if they've passed it on - bit late to be returning the coat now.
    b) A 100 euro coat and a 250 euro debt - something doesn't add up there Liam.

By all means stick it out, chances are they won't bother taking you to court for recovery if it's only €250, just don't be surprised when you go looking for a loan and the bank says "oh, you've got a negative credit history, sorry."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Any affiliation with debt collectors will make life difficult for you later too if you need a credit check to secure loans, overdrafts, mortgages.

As said above, debt collectors only appear after a certain period, usually well after a reasonable period to resolve any issue with goods. The correct course of action is to pay them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Good grief! You do realise everybody else buying from Littlewoods ends up paying for your debt. Life will be a hard road if you spend time coming up with excuses for not paying your debts. Did you ever plan to pay for your purchases from Little woods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Mother of god, even the "Yeh, sock it to the big company!" crowd aren't standing up for the OP in this one, such is the sense of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

You are a very foolish person, actually change that to stupid, if you are willing to get a negative credit rating for 250 euro.

marienbad wrote: »
    You are a very foolish person, actually change that to stupid, if you are willing to get a negative credit rating for 250 euro.

i heard though that only debts over 1000 can be reported as a negative credit rating

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

i heard though that only debts over 1000 can be reported as a negative credit rating

That is news to me. Just because you are not entered in Stubs doesn't mean you are not on a data base some where - all of which are accessible to financial institutions .

Your outlook is ridiculous -man up and pay your fcuking bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Technically a single missed payment on a loan can mark you with a negative credit rating. That's why it's such a big deal when the banks have issues, it took months to sort out my credit rating when ulster bank had their massive outage, and I missed a single 40 quid payment for a phone bill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Just pay the debt, why do I have to pay for all my clothing? and everyone else for that matter, grow a pair and pay in full

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP, here is what I've heard. Please correct me if I'm wrong

You purchased an item from Littlewoods
    You were not happy with the quality
    You did not return it to Littlewoods for a refund etc
    You didn't pay Littlewoods

If all of the above is true, then Littlewoods are perfectly entitled to chase you for the debt. In this case, they've engaged Intrum Justitia, who may or may not take a court case against you for the debt. If they do take you to court, and they secure a judgement against you, this can be register and posted in Stubbs Gazette (which may not affect your ICB credit rating, but can be used by other companies seeking to credit score you). There are a lot of "ifs" here, but it's all possible.

Advertisement