Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Independent Article on 'Sniper' Near Clonsilla

Options
  • 12-08-2014 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

"A DOG walker has spoken of her shock and fear at stumbling across a man out hunting with a rifle less than 20 feet from a public track."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/the-gun-was-huge-it-even-had-a-silencer-on-it-mother-stumbles-upon-sniper-near-dublins-royal-canal-30502416.html

This strikes me as quite an alarmist article with lots of missing information. I'm not a gun owner and I can understand that someone seeing this might get a bit of a fright at first. The more I think about it though, the more it seems an overblown reaction to someone doing a bit of sport shooting (quite possibly on Clonsilla Gun Club land - anyone know?). An article like this one must really irritate hunters and other people who shoot for sport.

One thing that might have helped is some sort of information sign. So I'm curious: is it common practice for gun clubs to put up signs where their land borders public roads or footpaths? Should it be the done thing, particularly in an area like Clonsilla?

(Sorry if this is the Shooting equivalent of a Helmets thread in Cycling :) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I like how the 'expert' knew what brand the scope was from a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Well i know what brand it is and so would most lads on here and what brand and caliber the gun is and he is wrong ,and he is wrong about the distance it would travel by a long long way,expert me hole.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'd tell yer man to buy another Mod if she heard "two loud shots, followed by another"". :D

To the uneducated it might look like a "sniper rifle", but it's a standard set up. The "expert" got it partially right with it being a standard rifle, but the extras are no more or less expensive than what most of us have on our guns. Also how can he tell the caliber, and other specifics of the rifle?

The woman's re-action tell two stories. One of an alarmist that is ""shocked" by this, but another by the fact that her Father/family hunt and she knew what it was. Hence the reason she did not call An Gardaí.

The chap pictured is far from a sniper. Not in ability, as i did not see him shoot, but in his appearance. He is not even wearing camo. He is in a t-shirt, no hat, etc. IOW not even standard gear for a hunter.

The key facts missing, and while touched on were not investigated or explained, are the permission, direction, and status of the land. So:
    • Did he have permission? - Most likely. Lads know too well the repercussions of trespassing.
    • Was it gun club land? - Possibly only the chap can tell. However personal/individual permission would cover him to bee on the land.
    • Direction of the shooting? Was he facing into a solid/secure backstop and by doing so making the shot/shooting safe? - I would say so especially given the area of the land/shooting. Anyone that shoots in or even close to any sort of building, house, or public area knows to make sure what is behind the target/game. Even with a successful hit the bullet might go through so this is paramount in all shooter's minds when they fire.
    • Was it a public walkway or a "shortcut"? - Most shooters know their land and what is around/on it. If this walkway is a public right of way then the shooter would know and fire away from it. However close he is to the walkway the fact is the rifle/bullet will go away from the path. If it's a shortcut people have made themselves through land they really should not be on, then the onus is on them to not trespass or to be aware of shooting that takes place on said land.

All gun clubs post notices that the land people might be on is gun club land. For people with individual permissions the same onus is not on them to post such notifications, and even if they could would the farmer/land owner allow it or want it? In country areas where there are wide open expanses shooting is a simpler task. In areas surrounding towns, and cities the lads have to be more vigilante than most and be aware of possible problems/dangers than some of us might not have to face.

Our sport is one of the most rigorously self policed ones in the country. From target shooting on a range to hunting in the fields we know as shooters/hunters that any one instance of a mistake will have a detrimental knock on effect to everyone with a firearm. It's the reason why we choose not to take some shots, as airing on the side of caution is easier to do than risk a stray bullet. As all hunters know once the trigger is pulled there is no way to call back a bullet.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

Thats awful rubbish to be publishing. Id be more concered about someone behaving suspiciously in the bushs with a camera along a public walkway that a lad doing a bit of shooting in an open field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Lotharmike

Its the Indo,that says it all really.Absolute populist rag among many in this country that masquerade as media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Well i know what brand it is and so would most lads on here and what brand and caliber the gun is and he is wrong ,and he is wrong about the distance it would travel by a long long way,expert me hole.

looking at the floor plate or magazine base, it appears to me to be a bit more than a .22 also the supressor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Looks like a centrefire mod to me, so not a 22 rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

clivej wrote: »

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Typical rag running blown out of proportion sensationalist crap journalism on a topic that the media love to jump all over and grab headline space with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

clivej wrote: »
    it is a cz anyway looks like from the barrel and mod your looking at something bigger than .223

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I had a nosey bitch like her rush down to my local Garda station to report me when she saw me in a field with my rifle a couple of years ago, luckily the guard on duty had the cop on to tell her it was fine and they know who hunts there.

Seriously sensational story, "sniper"???? Face palm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Great article!:rolleyes: So they admit they do not know if he had a license or owned the property. i.e. We have no idea if he is doing anything illegal, but we'll run the story anyhow! All we have come to expect from the Indep.

So he breaks no laws and goes out of his way to decrease the sound of his firearm and they still complain.

I would like to let a few fly from my 30-06 and see what fido would do.

Such unwarranted bias and misinformation. Note the use of the word "gunman" as opposed to sportsman. The word gunman is usually used for criminals.

Also, hunting? Maybe, maybe not. However, I guess they have to report something. A story on a young fella out shooting cans just wouldn't be as catching. If he was passed out in that field because of a night on bing drinking, no-one would bat an eye.

I am surprised they didn't note that he was shooting from a grassy knoll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Cringe worthy, I wrote them a letter of complaint. I am sick of reading all this sensationalist bullsh1t.

juice1304 wrote: »
    Cringe worthy, I wrote them a letter of complaint. I am sick of reading all this sensationalist bullsh1t.

Thought about doing the same. What did you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

I checked clonsilla train station on google maps, nothing but open fields and the odd golf course in the direction of dunboyne. Otherwise known as "the countryside"

The lad in the field should call the paper to give his story of a female peeping tom photoing him as he went about his lawfull business.

The indo must be job bridging for "journalist" now!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

FISMA wrote: »

I am surprised they didn't note that he was shooting from a grassy knoll.

In a snipers clothes....

Sniper Rifle really ....standard set up im sure most of ye have had a bipod, silencer or scope on your rifle at some stage or have all three like me at once!

Whats this wooden coloured weapon ****e...wooden stock mr expert!

Thank god it wasn't a synthetic stock... haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Reminds me of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Forgive me, but how would she get an awful shock and her dogs bolting if it had a silencer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

pablo128 wrote: »
    Forgive me, but how would she get an awful shock and her dogs bolting if it had a silencer?

Because it's not a silencer, it's just the indo trying to make a story.

If I was the lad in the photograph I would be ringing the indo asking them why my photo was in the paper.

• Advertisement

pablo128 wrote: »

The crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier can be quite loud, a moderator just quietens the initial bang. They don't actually make it silent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

The silencer makes the effective range less ... I stopped reading there. Nothing like a call of duty "expert" opinion. Must give the indo a shout and let them know my three year old is available as an expert for any future articles on quantum physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Knowing the Indo,its proably a certain "doctor" who did a stint of officer corps and now teaches in a college in Dublin ,and is the proclaimed media expert on tap for all things firearms related??

Hmm so this woman also admits to trespassing on Inroad Eireinn private propeerty in the article...Very naughty under the railway acts and byelaws.
    The Indo is now getting as bad with firearms coverage as click bait central.The journal.ie :mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Typical rag running blown out of proportion sensationalist crap journalism on a topic that the media love to jump all over and grab headline space with.

Not to mind that they sat on it for four days as well....Slow.News.Day.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Not to mind that they sat on it for four days as well....Slow.News.Day.

They had to bring in an expert to get their facts right :p

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Jesus, a weapon like that shouldn't be near any public track and as for the rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Meh, its the Silly Season. this is when all the (HA HA HA) professional journos in the Indo go to Magaluf for a few weeks. and anyone who's left in the office has to scrounge / find / make up stories to fill the spaces around the ads. just take the entire story with a sniff of...cordite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I believe the man was on private property, I hope she asked him for permission before she took the photo.

Could be intresting that point.Considering where she might have taken it from herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I'm sure you'ld see a lot worse goings on in the ditches around Clonsilla if you really wanted to.

Advertisement