Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring 3-bed Victorian semi-detached house

Options
  • 12-08-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the ball park figure for rewiring a 3-bed VIctorian-era house (95 sq m) might be? Also then replastering it. Is there such thing as partially replastering a wall (just where damp was) or should the whole lot be done to keep it uniform?

Also, in this era of powerline ethernet connection, should I go to the bother of rewiring with ethernet cables? (I mainly thinking it might be handy for media center in livingroom accessing PC upstairs. Not a huge use otherwise.)

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Are you doing an oily rag restoration on the house or you gutting it back to bare wall and removing ceilings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Are you doing an oily rag restoration on the house or you gutting it back to bare wall and removing ceilings?

A bit of a mix - on ground floor, needs to be replastered up to about 4 feet. Ceilings etc seem fine.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

where ceilings are retained it means taking up floor boards for access so will make the job more labour intensive and expensive. Having you suspended timber floors on the ground floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Sir Arthur: suspended timber floors with floor boards on timber joists. All bar the kitchen floor which is solid.

What decision apart from the number of sockets are there for wiring? I'm going to go for Cat 6 cabling with the hub located possibly in the attic. I'm also going to ask for it to be wired for burglar alarm - might as well do it now? Is there any other considerations I need to take into acccount?

Advertisement