Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry Requirements and Repeating

• 12-08-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I was just wondering if anyone could clarify this for me with regards to repeating and entry requirements. I did my Leaving Cert this year but I will be repeating as I did not study and will not get anywhere near the 560 mark Actuarial and Financial Studies in UCD. I know people always say "you never know, you might do better than you think" but I know I didn't try and I'm fine with that.

I know that you must take your points requirements from a single Leaving Cert. I know that you can use the second Leaving Cert to satisfy a particular subject entry requirement. However, I'm a bit confused on the following and was wondering if anyone could clarify.

"Leaving Certificate: Passes in six subjects including English, Irish, Mathematics (Min HB1) & three other recognised subjects. Two of the six subjects must be minimum HC3."

I don't plan on taking English or Irish when I am repeating. I did not get a B1 in Maths this year. The thing that is confusing me is do these all have to be from the same Leaving Cert? As in, if I get say 600 points and an A1 in Maths but don't do Irish or English, will I be able to get into the course?

Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

As far as I'm aware you can combine grades from separate sittings to satisfy requirements unless it explicitly states otherwise eg. "The requirements for a pass in X, Y and Z and a minimum HB1 in Maths must be obtained in one sitting" or something to that effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Oscar. wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone could clarify this for me with regards to repeating and entry requirements. I did my Leaving Cert this year but I will be repeating as I did not study and will not get anywhere near the 560 mark Actuarial and Financial Studies in UCD. I know people always say "you never know, you might do better than you think" but I know I didn't try and I'm fine with that.

I know that you must take your points requirements from a single Leaving Cert. I know that you can use the second Leaving Cert to satisfy a particular subject entry requirement. However, I'm a bit confused on the following and was wondering if anyone could clarify.

"Leaving Certificate: Passes in six subjects including English, Irish, Mathematics (Min HB1) & three other recognised subjects. Two of the six subjects must be minimum HC3."

I don't plan on taking English or Irish when I am repeating. I did not get a B1 in Maths this year. The thing that is confusing me is do these all have to be from the same Leaving Cert? As in, if I get say 600 points and an A1 in Maths but don't do Irish or English, will I be able to get into the course?

Thanks for any assistance.

You are right on the first point: your points score must be from one year.

The subject requirements and specific grades in those subjects (in this case maths) can be from any year.

The only exception to this rule is Medicine and that doesn't apply to you.

So if you have passed English and Irish this year you don't have to do them again next year.

So you can take 6 subjects next year and you will have to include Maths if you don't get the B1 tomorrow ( but it would make sense given the bonus points scenario) and 5 other subjects if you think you can score higher in them than English and Irish. Your English/Irish requirements will be met by this years results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Exactly what rainbow said! Thank god i didn't have to do maths and irish again when i repeated,it is so so helpful! If you have any questions about repeating ,you can pm me ,i'll be happy to try to help :) Best of luck

Advertisement