Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Ireland world's most "meh" country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Germany is more exciting than Ireland. Yeah the people lack humor but there is far more to do and see in Germany and other continental countries than here. But then Germany is a proper well run place whereas Ireland is, well, not.

Scenery - some places are nice. Still average though.

You have clearly not travelled extensively as it takes an ignorant person to make such a statement about Ireland. I have travelled far and wide and it has only deepened my appreciation for my country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Its the moderation that makes Ireland one of the best.
    Yep. Ireland is "human sized". Nothing too big or small, nothing to extreme one way or the other. It's one of it's plus points.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

You have clearly not travelled extensively as it takes an ignorant person to make such a statement about Ireland. I have travelled far and wide and it has only deepened my appreciation for my country.

Im sure he's over to Iceland every other weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

drumswan wrote: »
    Culchie

Thunderbollix! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Ireland is the 8th most peaceful country on Earth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Meh?

weather - average
    scenery - average
    Dublin - average
    women (also men to avoid offence) - average
    soccer team - average
    built environment - average
    wages - average
    taxes - average
    men - average
    things to do - average
    things to see - average
    the people - average
    murder rate - average
    traffic accidents - average
    internet speed/access - average
    roads - average
    public transport - average
    education system - average
    police - average
    corruption - average
    ...on and on

Ireland is so average. And we can only call it average if we include all third world countries.:mad:

Is there anything about Ireland that anyone can say is better than elsewhere? Above average?

You need to check out wages, corruption, public transport, roads, internet speeds, murder rates etc. in the actual real world you actually really live in. Start with Africa. Move to the rest of the Developing world, try out Syria and Iraq, pop into the Eastern Block and then head West.

Ireland is, of course, way above average in almost all metrics. It is probably way above average in the "global north".

kiffer wrote: »
    Ireland is the 8th most peaceful country on Earth...

Out of the 15 countries that Kermit knows, thats about average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Meh?

weather - average - yea
    scenery - average - Nope
    Dublin - average - mighty place...saying that as a culchie
    women (also men to avoid offence) - average, women well below continental average, better though than what's across the Atlantic
    soccer team - average, you're being optimistic
    built environment - average, wtf does that mean in actual English
    wages - average - are higher than most of Europe
    taxes - average - very high on the lower and middle earners
    men - average - why does so many foreign women love Irish men?
    things to do - average - loads to do, you're hanging with the wrong people
    things to see - average - you're joking, Ireland's history goes back 1000s of years
    the people - average - ever lived in Eastern Europe, where you're deemed a freak if you smile more than once per day
    murder rate - average - actually it's quite high...but if we don't count drug-related murders, then it's pretty low
    traffic accidents - average - low, our insurance system is a joke though
    internet speed/access - average - depends where you live
    roads - average = the motorway in Ireland are great, cateyes everywhere and signposted quite good too. Country roads, different story
    public transport - average - very, very poor
    education system - average - Ireland has really well-educated young people, it's just they leave school not knowing what they really want to do and end up in jobs they sometimes hate
    police - average - I think for an unarmed force they're very good at their jobs
    corruption - average - higher than Western Europe, far lower than Eastern Europe

I am pie wrote: »
    This looks like a scientifically compiled list based on thorough research.

I am giving it 10 out of 10, would use again. Recommended for academic purposes.

Wages, average! Yes, I imagine Ireland is slap bang into between southern Sudan and Switzerland !

HE ONLY KNOWS 15 COUNTRIES! GIVE HIM A BREAK!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

catallus wrote: »
    What's that word for the psychological compulsion to be anywhere else rather than where one actually is?

Ambition?

Out of the 15 countries that Kermit knows, thats about average.

That's crazy talk... hasn't he heard the song?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭briany

I wouldn't say Ireland is a 'meh' country, but it's quite mild. The weather is mild, the animals are mild, and the people are mild (laid-back - mostly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Size is no excuse. Iceland is 10 times smaller than Ireland in population but look at their scenery and offering which is far superior to Ireland.
    You're linking population to scenery? You wouldn't happen to be talking shíte now, would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ireland is above average in many things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,068 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ireland is one of the top countries in the world for scenery.

Evidence? You must have some survey of tourists handy.

I'm not saying Ireland does not have nice scenery. Of course it does. It has some spectacular scenery but most of Ireland's scenery is on a small scale and most of Ireland is not noteworthy in terms of scenery compared to many other countries. "Human scale" as it was put earlier but that's a downside in my opinion.

You look at any tourism survey - what is the first thing on it they always say?

"The friendliness"

Code for "unimpressed but we don't want to insult you"

Patww79 wrote: »
    Depends what you like. I know people who came here from Brazil, South Africa, Chile and China. They think the irish scenery is amazing. If you look at the Andes every day, they get boring. Loads of countries have mountains, they get boring after a while and you don't even notice them. Some countries are flat and featureless.
    Although, scenery wise, whatever ireland has, scotland usually does it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    You're linking population to scenery? You wouldn't happen to be talking shíte now, would you?

You have an inflated sense of what Ireland has to offer which in reality is not much especially, as has been recommended already, when you go to other countries just around Europe never mind the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I don't know but my gut says maybe.

I hope Failte Ireland don't suffer the same delusion as some on here when it comes to what we have to offer to tourists!

Other things should make up for boring scenery. Spectacular buildings and beautiful cities but alas we don't even have that. We don't even have proper public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Im sure he's over to Iceland every other weekend

Sucking up volcano dust and having the craic freezing his bollix off in pitch black weather. With pints for 700 euro, getting down in world famous Icelandic pubs, bathing himself in the warm glow of Icelandic humour, music and theatre and that.

Lucky lad.

You have an inflated sense of what Ireland has to offer which in reality is not much especially, as has been recommended already, when you go to other countries just around Europe never mind the world.
    No, you simply said "Iceland is 10 times smaller than Ireland in population but look at their scenery". I was just pointing out that the statement is búllshíte. You might as well have said "more icelandic men have beards, but look at their fishing fleet". Meaningless.
    If you think any country is boring and has nothing to do, that tells me that you're a boring person.

Cienciano wrote: »
    No, you simply said "Iceland is 10 times smaller than Ireland in population but look at their scenery".

Eh, no I didn't. What I actually said, had you bothered to read, was look what they have to offer - scenery is separate.

Good day to you sir.

I hope Failte Ireland don't suffer the same delusion as some on here when it comes to what we have to offer to tourists!

Other things should make up for boring scenery. Spectacular buildings and beautiful cities but alas we don't even have that. We don't even have proper public transport.

Fortunately most people don't share your view of the scenery, I can tell you that anyone i've had over to Ireland with me from South America is still giving it millions about the people, the fun and yes...the scenery.

As far as public transport is concerned I'm not really sure what your expectation is for a small sparcely populated country of 5m with most of the population concentrated in a few cities.

Where you hoping for a monorail from Offaly to Longford ? Intercity flights from Westport to Donegal? Get real, like.

What you lack in perspective you certainly have made up for in seething, swirling, black miserable loathing of Ireland. Maybe try and balance the two out.

Get real, like.

Dublin - only capital city in Europe without a rail link to it's airport which is also the airport the vast majority of visitors come in to Ireland through. That would be a start. It's not asking too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Rezident

Dublin is certainly not average! It's either one of the most rip-off kips full of junkies on the planet or it's great craic but it's never average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Dublin - only capital city in Europe without a rail link to it's airport which is also the airport the vast majority of visitors come in to Ireland through. That would be a start. It's not asking too much.

But seemly it is asking to much:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Meh?

weather - average exceptionally mild temperate oceanic, not many place have that.
    scenery - average spectacular
    Dublin - average
    women (also men to avoid offence) - average varies
    soccer team - average
    built environment - average
    wages - average higher than about 90% of the world (strange average you have)
    taxes - average actually quite high when you include VAT and social charges.
    men - average speak for yourself!
    things to do - average depends on your imagination
    things to see - average see above
    the people - average highly subjective, but I think they're pretty friendly.
    murder rate - average extremely low by international standards.
    traffic accidents - average one of the top 10 safest places to drive in the world actually, despite the rhetoric.
    roads - average for size of the country / population it has an impressive motorway network actually.
    public transport - average below average in terms of density in urban areas.
    education system - average attains higher than average and it's also a bit weird in terms of how it runs so not anything like average really.
    police - average Highly unusual in so far as they're unarmed mostly.
    corruption - average Actually low by international standards amazingly enough. You wouldn't want to live in a country with high corruption!
    ...on and on

Ireland is so average. And we can only call it average if we include all third world countries.:mad:

Is there anything about Ireland that anyone can say is better than elsewhere? Above average?

Question: did you bench mark it against an imaginary country or just use figures (to quote Anglo execs) that you plucked out of your ....

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm goign to guess without reading that the responces have been that "Ireland is the most amazing place in the universe and you're a boring git for even asking such a question" and "well if you don;t like it, **** off".

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

I love transiting through DUB.

It's only when you go elsewhere in the World (SXF for instance which is rather ironically one of the worst airports I've ever been in considering its Germany's capital airport) you realise how good we have it at home tbh. You'll be in the Airport from the City Centre in 45mins at worst with the 747 and typically 25mins in my experience. Try doing that in London.

When you get out there its simple to navigate; 5 mins from the bus and you can be queuing at security. No messing about with trains to various terminals. Free wifi when you're waiting and an actual decent selection of shops.

I ****ing love Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

cson wrote: »
    I love transiting through DUB.

It's only when you go elsewhere in the World (SXF for instance which is rather ironically one of the worst airports I've ever been in considering its Germany's capital airport) you realise how good we have it at home tbh. You'll be in the Airport from the City Centre in 45mins at worst with the 747 and typically 25mins in my experience. Try doing that in London.

When you get out there its simple to navigate; 5 mins from the bus and you can be queuing at security. No messing about with trains to various terminals. Free wifi when you're waiting and an actual decent selection of shops.

I ****ing love Dublin Airport.

SXF to Berlin is about the same time (EDIT - 28 mins from airport to Alexanderplatz) and cost as DUB to Dublin.

However, Berlin's second airport, Tegel, has no rail link (although it'll be closing in a few years).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

That's a fairly specific example, based on Dublin which only shows your limited perspective.

Again, you are talking about a small country of 5 million people here.

Next time you go to Lisbon, enjoy the magical train ride to the city centre, which...err, doesn't exist. Doesnt mean Portugal is "meh" of course, it would be silly to say that.

Train from Edinburgh airport? Nope. Bus then train.

Buenos Aires? Rio? Sao Paulo? Trains...from airports? Nope Nope Nope. Are these countries "meh" too?

Give it up. Catch as grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

It was St. Patrick that saved this land from mediocrity.

His festival has been a major PR boost for the Irish hospitality industry. I believe he is responsible for introducing marketing and event management to Ireland in the late 1970s was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

His festival has been a major PR boost for the Irish hospitality industry. I believe he is responsible for introducing marketing and event management to Ireland in the late 1970s was it?

As well as bringing the good news, yes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

i thought it was bishop casey...till he dipped his wick

• Advertisement

Reykjavik and Lisbon both spring to mind.

Sucking up volcano dust and having the craic freezing his bollix off in pitch black weather. With pints for 700 euro, getting down in world famous Icelandic pubs, bathing himself in the warm glow of Icelandic humour, music and theatre and that.

Lucky lad.

Ah now, be nice about Iceland! It's actually *remarkably* like Ireland in many respects (at least the coastal areas are.. centre's a bit mad!)

It reminds me of Donegal or the Burren on steroids.

They also have insane Donegal-style boy racers tearing up the streets of small towns and pulling donuts

They're good craic, they don't take themselves that seriously, they have Bjork and the beer's not THAT expensive. You can get a pint for <€5.00

Also, nobody else has Sheep Sh1t Smoked Beer! (Really, nobody has.. and there's a good reason for that too!)

As well as bringing the good news, yes :)

The good news being that there'd be a bank holiday every year and that we'd be able to laugh at the americans dying their rivers and beers green in an attempt to irish themselves up.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

weather - average no natural disasters
    scenery - average world class
    Dublin - average consistently voted one of the best cities in the world to live
    women (also men to avoid offence) - average independent, down to earth, good looking, red heads
    soccer team - average poor but great fans and banter
    built environment - average safe and modern
    wages - average one of the highest living standards in the world
    taxes - average progressive
    men - average notorious charmers
    things to do - average things being with S, sailing, surfing, scuba diving,
    things to see - average tourism numbers testiment to whats on offer
    the people - average funny, unique, intelligent, friendly
    murder rate - average above average, Dublin in isolation has a high murder rate by EU standards
    traffic accidents - average have you ever been outside of Europe?
    roads - average
    public transport - average
    education system - average
    police - average soft touch policing suits our culture
    corruption - average

all my opinions anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Greenduck wrote: »
    The absolute soundness of people in general. I have yet to visit a country in the world were the people are friendlier ,funnier or more down to earth. Considering most of the other things about our country are average I'd say that we excel in the soundness stakes.

This/

- Went to the car dealership today. The receptionist, the parts guy, the fitter and Mr Charlie Big Potatoes himself all called me by my first name. I ain't buying a car and I only go there once a year.

- A year or so back I saw a young woman who seemed to be stuggling a bit with the jockey wheel of a trailer. I took my life in my hands and asked if she wanted a hand. Any other place I've lived I'd have got a big Feck Off - instead "No you're grand it's just a bit tricky."

That's a fairly specific example, based on Dublin which only shows your limited perspective.

Dublin Airport first and last sight for 85% of tourists.

Again, you are talking about a small country of 5 million people here.

So?

Next time you go to Lisbon, enjoy the magical train ride to the city centre, which...err, doesn't exist. Doesnt mean Portugal is "meh" of course, it would be silly to say that.

Ok. Does not mean we should be equally deprived.
    Train from Edinburgh airport? Nope. Bus then train.

London is the capital of the UK.

Buenos Aires? Rio? Sao Paulo? Trains...from airports? Nope Nope Nope. Are these countries "meh" too?

Irrelevant, outside Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Actually OP, we're not average at all. We're the goodest country in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

It's obvious Kermit hasn't travelled.

Toronto Airport to city - Nightmare
    LA - OMG it's hell on earth getting in/out and even around that place
    NY and Chicago - rail journeys longer than the airport bus link of Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Irrelevant, outside Europe.
    After you do your leaving cert you can head off and see the world.

By the way, Ive been there, its a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 stringofmisery

Quality and variety of food-well above average...best in the world as far as i'm concerned.

After you do your leaving cert you can head off and see the world.

By the way, Ive been there, its a disappointment.

I would be very confident I have been to more countries and cities around the world then you have. I am very well placed to comment on Ireland in comparison to other countries.

People don't want to hear it but Ireland does not offer that much in comparison to a lot of other countries. The only way to improve that is to act on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement