Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess the breed........

• 12-08-2014 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭

It's like guess how many beans are in the jar ..... only cuter! :D

He's a rescue pup that I'm taking in next week :D And being a rescue info on him is limited so it's all guesses so the more the merrier!

He's 8 weeks old (vet confirmed) and my guesses on breed is either chihuahua on its own or jack russell on its own - or perhaps (most likely) the two mixed together - the fosterer has said to me she's heard that the mother is a collie - I currently own a collie cross (collie x setter/spaniel) and have owned a collie x working terrier (like a jack russell but with longer legs) - and neither were as tiny as this guy - the brown dog in the photo is westie sized - so compared to him he's tiny which leads me even more to think along the chihuahua lines and in the last picture (#4) he's the black blob in the corner wrestling with the white kitten - look at the size of his back leg compared to the kittens! That's not a collie leg!! Is it?! :eek:

So .... any guesses on what breeds might make up his lineage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

I personally think he is of the 'completely adorable' variety :D

It'll be lovely to see how he turns out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Must agree with the previous poster. That is a darn cute puppy if I ever saw one!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

could be a bit of boston terrier in there , cute as hell either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Agreed with you all that he's 100% purebred cute! I'm just honestly not seeing the collie! Various terriers yes completely but collie? nope cant see it! The size just isnt there or is it me??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

God he is so cute.......I wsa fostering a little chi Russell recently,very like your new fella in size, a little imp,with a huge personality,best of luck with your new family member & keep the pics coming!

• Advertisement

coathanger wrote:
    God he is so cute.......I wsa fostering a little chi Russell recently,very like your new fella in size, a little imp,with a huge personality,best of luck with your new family member & keep the pics coming!

So by your experience you think I'm correct on my guesses? Do you see collie in there at all? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I see some Chihuahua alright. The ears and eyes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Yes, definitely have to think there's Chihuahua in there, but what brought the colouring to the mix? Hmmm! Hard to see any collie there bar the colouring. Have you any indication on where the pup came from?
    And I cannot go any further without commenting on how beeeeautiful the wee terrier is, he melted my heart as soon as I saw him :o
    He must be a Westie X, is he? With Cairn or Yorkie or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

im not even going to guess but if I have seen a cuter pup I cant remember what a little cute arse

DBB wrote: »
    Yes, definitely have to think there's Chihuahua in there, but what brought the colouring to the mix? Hmmm! Hard to see any collie there bar the colouring. Have you any indication on where the pup came from?
    And I cannot go any further without commenting on how beeeeautiful the wee terrier is, he melted my heart as soon as I saw him :o
    He must be a Westie X, is he? With Cairn or Yorkie or something?

The colouring IS a bit collie like I have to admit - but in googling dogs (which I do often enough!) I've noticed quite a few Papillons have the black and white collie markings (or similar enough!) and this would also equate into his smallness.

There is a whole back story to the pup (not the happiest story unfortunately) but I'd rather not go into it publicly on boards - suffice to say he had an unfortunate start but is now safely with a rescuer/fosterer and I should be making my way to collect him next week :D So alls well that ends well!

Regarding the wee brown dog - hands up - I honestly have no idea who or what he is. He belongs to the lady who is fostering the little man - Throwing him into the guessing game I'd say your spot on with Westie x Carin or something similar - not really seeing the Yorkie but the first two I agree with. See, this is why I love mixed breed rescue dogs! The vast guessing games you get to play! With 2 very mixed dogs in the house I may have to come good with my threats of buying Doggie DNA tests (50 euro all in - swab their mouth and get back a detailed (Them, Parents and 2 sets of GrandParents) report on their lineage - maybe when I've more money than sense that'll be top of the list! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I see the collie colouring and markings on his head - he's so lovely - how old is he? We have a collie merle x don't know the cross variety either - but he was the smallest puppy I ever had - bought him a puppy collar which only fits him now at almost a year! Fully grown he's not tiny anymore but still small for a bc at 12kgs -

I have seen another collie terrier type cross that had all the length and colouring of a collie but was minature in height. And I heard somewhere that Pappillions have a strain of BC in them - my other BC has pappillion ears!

Either way he's cute as a button.

Pretzill wrote: »
    I see the collie colouring and markings on his head - he's so lovely - how old is he? We have a collie merle x don't know the cross variety either - but he was the smallest puppy I ever had - bought him a puppy collar which only fits him now at almost a year! Fully grown he's not tiny anymore but still small for a bc at 12kgs -

I have seen another collie terrier type cross that had all the length and colouring of a collie but was minature in height. And I heard somewhere that Pappillions have a strain of BC in them - my other BC has pappillion ears!

Either way he's cute as a button.

I too was thinking Papillons must have collie in them somehow because often the markings and colours are so similar. Thanks for that info!

I had a collie x terrier before and he was super tiny when I got him at 6 weeks (abandoned) he had the terrier body and build but was all collie fur and markings - the term wolf in sheeps clothing comes to mind (terrier in collies clothing!)

So it'll certainly be interesting to see what this one turns out like - I just honestly don't see him getting that big - Jack Russel size at most or certainly no bigger than the brown dog he's pictured with! Or am I deluding myself because I want a small dog!! :pac: Hence making this thread! Want to see what others see because I've looked at him for so long in so much detail I've lost perspective! So thought I'd throw the guesses here for the doggy freaks (in a great way!) of boards to stab guesses at! :pac:

And, as far as I know - and guesses can be made (vet confirmed as much) he's 8 weeks old at the moment - in those photos he was at the end of 7 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I too was thinking Papillons must have collie in them somehow because often the markings and colours are so similar. Thanks for that info!

I had a collie x terrier before and he was super tiny when I got him at 6 weeks (abandoned) he had the terrier body and build but was all collie fur and markings - the term wolf in sheeps clothing comes to mind (terrier in collies clothing!)

So it'll certainly be interesting to see what this one turns out like - I just honestly don't see him getting that big - Jack Russel size at most or certainly no bigger than the brown dog he's pictured with! Or am I deluding myself because I want a small dog!! :pac: Hence making this thread! Want to see what others see because I've looked at him for so long in so much detail I've lost perspective! So thought I'd throw the guesses here for the doggy freaks (in a great way!) of boards to stab guesses at! :pac:

And, as far as I know - and guesses can be made (vet confirmed as much) he's 8 weeks old at the moment - in those photos he was at the end of 7 weeks.

You're thinking is opposite to mine was at the time we got our guy! I was hoping he'd grow bigger but he too was a rescue and had a tough start in life - my other late BC males one a gsd cross and one I think had lab somewhere were both on the larger size of the breeds. But this little guy has a bossy bigger sister who I was hoping he would outgrow - not a chance still he's the most lovable boy so I don't care.

I remember the vet saying at one check up that he must have had a tough start because his legs are slightly bowed - but he runs like a greyhound so no problems with his joints at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Aw I've been following his story on Facebook, poor little guy had such a rough start. Delighted he's found a new home :) my guess is jack russel X chihuahua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I've been following his story too, can't wait to see how he turns out you have to post pics as he grows up!

Glad he's going to a new home, enjoy!

mymo wrote: »
    I've been following his story too, can't wait to see how he turns out you have to post pics as he grows up!

Glad he's going to a new home, enjoy!

(Humming "Its a small world after all" while typing!)
    I thought he might be recognized alright! :o His story reminds me of my first dog here and ironically his story was posted/shared with me on the same date I adopted that first dog, so all in all the signs were there and it seems she thinks we're all a good match so its just transport logistics now to work out (which is a loooooong distance but he's worth it!)

I'm sure I'll be posting all over here and facebook (I agreed to keep the fosterer posted so I'm sure she'll be sharing his story too!) with him after all the opinions shared here :)

Advertisement