Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could home theatre system be cause of ELCB trip?

Options
  • 12-08-2014 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Have a 2 bed apartment, 10 years old or so. No electrical problems to date.
    This morning, I noticed that wifi didn't work. Then noticed that all plugs not working.
    ELCB was tripped, so I unplugged most things (except fridge and small freezer) and headed off to work.
    Back now, and I replugged in everything else, and all working fine, with no trips - EXCEPT my 4 year old home theatre system. The "stand by" light is red, but won't turn on at all.
    Google isn't helping me; and my electrician isn't answering his phone.

Could my sound system have gone bust and caused the trip? Or could it have been fried by the whatever caused the trip?

I had the television and sound system in turn off by remote control/ standby this morning, but still plugged in.

Now I have TV plugged at outlet where sound system was, and for good measure, fired by wii, and now laptop in same outlet, and so far so good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

fiddlechic wrote: »
    Have a 2 bed apartment, 10 years old or so. No electrical problems to date.
    This morning, I noticed that wifi didn't work. Then noticed that all plugs not working.
    ELCB was tripped, so I unplugged most things (except fridge and small freezer) and headed off to work.
    Back now, and I replugged in everything else, and all working fine, with no trips - EXCEPT my 4 year old home theatre system. The "stand by" light is red, but won't turn on at all.
    Google isn't helping me; and my electrician isn't answering his phone.

Could my sound system have gone bust and caused the trip? Or could it have been fried by the whatever caused the trip?

I had the television and sound system in turn off by remote control/ standby this morning, but still plugged in.

Now I have TV plugged at outlet where sound system was, and for good measure, fired by wii, and now laptop in same outlet, and so far so good.

Yes it could be the case, there are a few internal fuses in these units too , they can get hot if the vents are blocked and thermal overloads can kick in too. but its hard to know, I switch might off at the socket when I'm not using it.

You could leave it off for a few hours and plug it back in, daft and all as that sounds I had a harman kardon amp that responded like this a couple of times

If it socket is back work again I doubt its a wiring problem, most likely the appliance IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Stoner wrote: »
    Yes it could be the case, there are a few internal fuses in these units too , they can get hot if the vents are blocked and thermal overloads can kick in too. but its hard to know, I switch might off at the socket when I'm not using it.

You could leave it off for a few hours and plug it back in, daft and all as that sounds I had a harman kardon amp that responded like this a couple of times

If it socket is back work again I doubt its a wiring problem, most likely the appliance IMHO

Thanks a million - I was half thinking of hitting up power city this evening for a soundbar, goggling them as we speak- so maybe I'll give it a few hours to resuscitate itself!
    It's a phillips sound system but very neat, and hard found at the time; thankfully soundbars much smaller and cheaper now than a few years ago.

Yes the socket is working, as is all other sockets, and the sound system is the only thing not working, so by process of elimination it probably it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I wouldn't immediately suspect your sound system tbh
    Although I wouldn't rule it out

Check your immersion first

How are you trying to power up your sound system
    Manually push the power button on the unit(don't use remote control)

meercat wrote: »
    I wouldn't immediately suspect your sound system tbh
    Although I wouldn't rule it out

Check your immersion first

How are you trying to power up your sound system
    Manually push the power button on the unit(don't use remote control)

Don't have an immersion box as such - just a booster on the hot water tank, which I turned on earlier and everything working fine.

I was trying to push the button to turn it on, no luck.
    I waited the few hours, still not turning on. Will wait overnight, and then will be hitting the shops I guess for a new system.
    I tried it in another outlet, even though that one working, just to be sure to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OP I don't know where you are based, but there is a place in Blanchardtown village, i think they charged me 25 euro for a check up on an amp I had. if your sound system is one of those cheapo dvd combi units then i would not bother.

A neighbor of mine got a sound-bar from richer sounds recently

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&SUB=156&ProductID=1284

they delivered it to him for 20 euro i think, I think it was 220 euro on sale in harvey norman.

for the price it has good sound and it has a few inputs too, it too his UPC directly via S/PDIF and his TV too. Even managed to hook up his western digital media player directly, UPC direct connection was the best, it has that clear sound filter too and it helps his gunners ear!

I had an old subwoofer that i gave to him as this unit had a subwoofer output too, it was one of those rare times when you hook something up for someone and use every bit of I/O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Stoner wrote: »
    OP I don't know where you are based, but there is a place in Blanchardtown village......

http://www.thehifihospital.com/

Thanks a million for the suggestions.
    I was away the last 5 nights, so gingerly plugged it in today. No luck!

I think I paid 50euro when I bought it, so I won't bother with the hifihospital.

I was just about to post on richersounds bit of boards.ie with a question about one of the soundbars on their site. I'm all excited now about my electronics shopping!

Advertisement