Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

free fees initiative?

• 12-08-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Do all undergraduate students qualify for the free fees initiative? Is susi anything to do with the free fees initiative? On susi alone, I do not qualify for paid tuition fees but after reading online about the free fees initiative,I am a bit confused...help please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FatherlyNick

To qualify for free fees, your family's income has to be below a certain level.
    Read more here: citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/fees.html#l00630

• Registered Users Posts: 40 queenie154

So the free fees initiative is connected to susi? It says on your link that there is no application for free fees,sorry if I'm being stupid:(

There is no real application as such. You are either eligible or you're not. You can see the points you neet to satisfy in that link I gave you. Even if you don't qualify for full free fees, you might only need to pay a certain percentage of the fees. [Unless your household income is too damn high]

There is no real application as such. You are either eligible or you're not. You can see the points you neet to satisfy in that link I gave you. Even if you don't qualify for full free fees, you might only need to pay a certain percentage of the fees. [Unless your household income is too damn high]
    Where can I find the household income limits? I do not qualify for susi because I have older brothers and sisters working in my house and their income is included although I assure you,their income will not help me pay these college tuition fees.I was unsure whether the free fees initiative would pay my tuition fees regardless of this.

This should have all you need: citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html#l62fd2

• Advertisement

This should have all you need: citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html#l62fd2
    Also this: studentfinance.ie/mp9556/check-reckonable-income-limits/index.html

But it says on the link you posted that you can qualify for all or part of the student tuition fees but not if you already qualify for free fees under the free fees initiative. When I research the free fees initiative,it mentions nothing of income.

queenie154 wrote: »
    But it says on the link you posted that you can qualify for all or part of the student tuition fees but not if you already qualify for free fees under the free fees initiative. When I research the free fees initiative,it mentions nothing of income.

Read through this page more carefully: citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

A fee grant can cover any of the following 3 elements:

All or part of the student contribution
    Costs of essential field trips
    All or part of a student’s tuition fees (unless covered by the Free Fees Scheme)
    In general, if you qualify for a maintenance grant you will qualify for all elements of the fee grant. However, you will not get the tuition element of a fee grant if you already qualify for free tuition fees.
    I did read it.it said this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

To qualify for free fees, your family's income has to be below a certain level.
    Read more here: citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/fees.html#l00630

What are you on about?

Free tuition fees are not based on income!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

What are you on about?

Free tuition fees are not based on income!

Really?I know that susi take your income into account but I did think that a persons first undergraduate course tuition fees were paid for:/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm afraid that FatherlyNick has it wrong.

The free fees scheme is what most students are on i.e. no tuition fees just the €2750 (?) Contribution charge. For those who are eligible, SUSI will pay for that charge. Everyone else pays it.

Those who aren't covered by the free fees scheme are usually international students or those doing a year/degree for the second time

TLDR: Student contribution /= tuition fees

Really?I know that susi take your income into account but I did think that a persons first undergraduate course tuition fees were paid for:/

No.

Free tuition fees have nothing to do with susi.

There are 3 types of fee

Tuition fee: These are free in most cases once you meet certain criteria
    Student contribution fee: SUSI will pay this if you are eligible for a grant
    College levy; The student pays this

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No.

Free tuition fees have nothing to do with susi.

There are 3 types of fee

Tuition fee: These are free in most cases once you meet certain criteria
    Student contribution fee: SUSI will pay this if you are eligible for a grant
    College levy; The student pays this
    Really? See I am eligible for susi to pay all my student contribution but only 50% of my tuition fees. Will susi still grant me the student contribution if I am entitled to the free fees anyway?

Really? See I am eligible for susi to pay all my student contribution but only 50% of my tuition fees. Will susi still grant me the student contribution if I am entitled to the free fees anyway?

SUSI don't pay for tuition fees. Are you sure that you have read that correctly? If you are eligible for a grant your student contribution will be paid and you won't have any tuition fees to be paid.

Is the 50% that you are referring to maintenance?

SUSI don't pay for tuition fees. Are you sure that you have read that correctly? If you are eligible for a grant your student contribution will be paid and you won't have any tuition fees to be paid.
    Well on the susi website, it said I qualified for 50% tuition fees,100%student contribution and my field trips are not payable. That's the reason I thought I had to pay 50% tuition fees.

Yes

Terry Pratchet

Is the 50% that you are referring to maintenance?

No,maintenance also isn't payable by susi for me.

Ok

Sorry

There is a bit of confusion here.

In some cases where a student is not eligible for free tuition fees (under the free fees scheme) then SUSI can pay them.

In this case as I see it

1 You are eligible for free tuition fees
    2 You are eligible for a SUSI grant to pay 100% of your student contribution fee

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Tbh you have me confused now!

A SUSI grant will pay for the student contribution. Most students will not have any tuition fees to pay for to the free fees initiative. Depending on the type of grant awarded, sine students will also receive maintenance cheques during the year.

Ok

Sorry

There is a bit of confusion here.

In some cases where a student is not eligible for free tuition fees (under the free fees scheme) then SUSI can pay them.

In this case as I see it

1 You are eligible for free tuition fees
    2 You are eligible for a SUSI grant to pay 100% of your student contribution fee

This looks like the right answer! Too many words confused me! :-)

Tbh you have me confused now!

A SUSI grant will pay for the student contribution. Most students will not have any tuition fees to pay for to the free fees initiative. Depending on the type of grant awarded, sine students will also receive maintenance cheques during the year.

Its quite simple. The OP is eligible for a fee grant which covers 100% student contribution but not maintenance. See the part on fee grants here;

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

He or She does noy have to worry about tuition fees as they are covered under the free fees initiative and the OP claims to be eligible for that.

Terry Pratchet

This looks like the right answer! Too many words confused me! :-)

Okay I think I understand now, i just couldn't comprehend why susi would say they will pay 50% of my tuition fees if they are already paid for me...but I understand now that not everybody is entitled to free fees.thanks!

Its quite simple. The OP is eligible for a fee grant which covers 100% student contribution but not maintenance. See the part on fee grants here;

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

He or She does noy have to worry about tuition fees as they are covered under the free fees initiative and the OP claims to be eligible for that.

Sorry, I've got Equity Law swimming around my head and I seemed to be unable to comprehend that it is possible for SUSI to cover tuition fees. I've always known it as they don't. I'm not always the sharpest. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭angela1711

Anyone knows how much is the student leavy ?

angela1711 wrote: »
    Anyone knows how much is the student leavy ?
    100 euro for nuim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

God knows what it actually gets spent on though, yet to see a breakdown.

mickstupp wrote: »

Same here. I heard a portion of it goes to the SU.

• Advertisement

Usually for other colleges such as ucd and tcd construction costs for gym and student centres. That sounds perfectly ok to me.

Terry Pratchet

Think it's a fiver to USI too

Think it's a fiver to USI too

A fiver for USI is excellent value

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

Can anyone post a link for eligibility on free tuition fees? Thanks,Would be greatly appreciated!

Far as I know, as long as you don't have a degree already, you're eligible. Kind of. I mean if you already went to college and did first year, but not second or third... then you'd have to pay for first year, but not the other two, if that makes sense?

You'd still have to pay the registration fee, which is ginormous, unless that's covered by grant or back to education allowance? I have no idea of that stuff unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

Far as I know, as long as you don't have a degree already, you're eligible. Kind of. I mean if you already went to college and did first year, but not second or third... then you'd have to pay for first year, but not the other two, if that makes sense?

You'd still have to pay the registration fee, which is ginormous, unless that's covered by grant or back to education allowance? I have no idea of that stuff unfortunately.

So if I understand correctly, if you are eligible for susi and you are an undergrad(ie get free fees) all you would have to contribute is the student leavy + accom or trips?

• Advertisement

Think so. But don't take my word for it, I was never eligible for that stuff.

The Fees guys should be in tomorrow:
    https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/student-fees-grants/contact

Advertisement