Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rainbow trout

Options
  • 12-08-2014 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hello, I was just wondering if anybody knows of rainbow trout flies to use I have a couple in mind ex. blobs, cat whiskers, pearly daddy I usually use intermediate line n retrieve slowly but the last few weeks ive been having trouble catching them either that or the lake isn't been stocked any help would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Aside from the fly selection, I would vary your technique a bit more than just the intermediate line and slow retrieve. Rainbows are an aggressive feeder, more so than the native brown trout. I would speed up your retrieve a bit and also vary the way you retrieve for example plucking the fly several times and then a long slow draw or stripping it in quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bubba185

thanks for the advice very helpful hopefully it will catch me some fish next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

bubba185 wrote: »
    hello, I was just wondering if anybody knows of rainbow trout flies to use I have a couple in mind ex. blobs, cat whiskers, pearly daddy I usually use intermediate line n retrieve slowly but the last few weeks ive been having trouble catching them either that or the lake isn't been stocked any help would be great thanks.

Hi,

Well there's great selection of flies, What lake were you fishing? ( i know good few lakes), As sea fields said mix up your retrive, Only fishing Lures, Wets, I find that when you cast out leave you dry fly out, and then ever once an while tweak you fly to keep in contact with your fly, and the fish should be attracted when you tweak your dry, Now Rainbows are easy to catch(It's bit hard now because of the low waters everywhere,The rainbow trout become harder to catch when there's low water,They stay near the bottom in hot weather) , Have you only started fly fishing? Also I would also say a di3 sinking line is great line, Also if your fishing in sunny weather i'd use lures, on fast sinking line, Or meaby Buzzers (Buzzers are great they work on every stocked lake, Heres a few, blood worm, epoxy, And lots more, Also if you see people catching don't be afraid ask what flies, and how to retrieve them!

Tight lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Dropper-Blob fly

Point-bloody butcher,any fry imitation

my favourite rainbow set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

My favourite would be a brown booby or a goldhead minky. Also you should give any of the goldhead fritz a try. Medium to fast retrieve on all these and the takes are usually aggressive especially on the booby which is a surface lure.

• Advertisement

Also buzzers work deadly on big rainbows. Big rainbows don't like to use much energy to feed and will often feast on buzzers.
    These were caught by myself 8 and 6 year ago
    Goldhead minky
    image_zps863299d9.jpg
    And goldhead bloodworm buzzer
    image_zps0c47969a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭strangles

What fishery did you get those monsters in D,ive fished a good few in Ireland but never caught anthing that big.......

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

There's no beating a big wild brownie from river one your own made dry fly! Plus Big rainbows they don't really fight good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

There's no beating a big wild brownie from river one your own made dry fly! Plus Big rainbows they don't really fight good

A debate for a different thread tho. The Op asked about rainbows specifically.

strangles wrote: »
    What fishery did you get those monsters in D,ive fished a good few in Ireland but never caught anthing that big.......

Them two are in top 5 of y biggest. Il find some other photos later and add them if I can. My biggest rainbow to date is just under 19lbs but I know I lost a bigger one. These type f fish aren't found in many fisheries left in Ireland. They were caught in clondalkins corkagh park.
    And judging by the look of the place lately there wouldn't be a trout over a pound in it. Shame really

• Advertisement

fishing ballaghmore, and south Carlow on Monday, im fly fishing for a while now but always dry for brown trout at night, wen the rivers are not going well I usually go to a lake to catch rainbow but last couple of weeks or more has been going bad I do mix up my retrieve but still not successful il try wat u were saying and hopefully it will do the trick maybe some droppers to, bad days fishing is better than a good day at work lol thanks for the tips

der huge fish biggest ive caught in the lake was 4lb lol

Tbh the fight off the big rainbows ain't that great. You'd get 4 mins of hard going and then it's pullin in a wet sack basically.
    Have had harder fights off a 2lb wild browny

Advertisement