Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle Zeroing Puzzled...

Options
  • 12-08-2014 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

So i did a check on the zero with cci subs...i was puzzled with the results.

I first shot a 4 shot group at 65 yards...it was nearly perfectly in line vertical mabye a tad to the left but not bad....Didnt touch the clicks yet and shot 2 at 20 yards to find the groups to be 2 cm to the left!!!:confused:

Im guessing the scopes mounted wrong?As in the Scope is tightened to the rifle slightly to the right?

Heres a pic of grouping:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Explain this again.

In the picture you have 2 shots, touching, 5 cms below the black square (bullseye). About 1.5 cm below those are 2 more that are almost perfectly one holed. Is this the four shot group?

Then you have 2 more touching shots, 1-1.5 cm higher than the black square and 1-1.5 cm left of the black square. Is this the 2 shots at 20 yards?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Sorry for bad explaining

4 shots at bottom were at 65 yards!

2 at the top were at 20 yards!

Squares are 1 cm!

All the shots are to the left and if you measure the distance between the top and bottom shots they are about 0.5 cm apart. That is one click. IOW nothing to worry about. However one to two clicks at 65 yards will sort that and bring it perfectly in line with the bull.

The 4 shots at 65 yards were low. You only needed to click the scope up. Assuming you have a 1/4" click value scope and the fact you zeroed it at 65 yards you needed to click up 13 clicks.

The reason you were "level" at 20 yards was because instead of clicking the scope up, you brought the target closer. This has the same effect of clicking up.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Not worried about the shots being high and low i understand than its dead on at 50 i believe!

But shouldnt the 20 yard group be nearly vertical above the target not the left cass?

Its more to the left at 20 yards than at 65 could be bang on vertical at 80 and then after than start going to the right?

1shot16 wrote: »
    Not worried about the shots being high and low i understand than its dead on at 50 i believe!
    Eh, no.

At 20 yards you are a fraction high, and at 65 yards you are seriously low. At 50 yards you would be almost as low as you are at 65 yards. The fact the shots are slightly high at 20 yards means the gun is zeroed for around 24 - 26 yards.
    But shouldnt the 20 yard group be nearly vertical above the target not the left cass?
    No. As both groups are left is means your windage is not set to zero. You need to click the scope 2-3 clicks to the right and ALL shots will be in line with the vertical off the black bullseye.
    Its more to the left at 20 yards than at 65 could be bang on vertical at 80 and then after than start going to the right?
    I would be concerned if the 20 yard shots were 2 cm left and the 65 dead on. They are not.

The centre of the 20 yard shots/group are 1.5cm left of dead centre of the black bullseye. Or 1 cm left of the left edge of the black bullseye.

The 65 yard group/shots are 0.7cm left of the dead centre off the black bullseye or exactly in line with the left edge of the black bullseye. They are also 0.7 cm from the centre of the 20 yard group/shots.

I've outlined this in your picture, just highlighted.

picture.php?albumid=2370&pictureid=15273

So the shots DO NOT have a 2cm difference in point of impact (POI). They have a 1/2 cm difference which could be shooter error or such a small issue as to not be one at all.

• Advertisement

So if i turn 22-23 clicks to the right it should all be in line?

Remounted the scope as it wasnt far back enugh for me anyway!

Sorry that was a typo. It should read 2 to 3 clicks.

I'll tell ya what. What distance do you want the rifle zeroed at. 50 yards, 60, 65, ?

Also what make of scope have you. Exactly. Make, model, mag, etc.

50 yards and all shots to be perfectly in line :P

Nikko Stirling Mountmaster

4-12X50 Ir Mildot

This will get you almost perfectly on zero for 50 yards. You will still have to fire a shot to confirm, but you won't be much, if any, from dead on. It'll depend on the ammo.

picture.php?albumid=2370&pictureid=15275

• Advertisement

Thanks again cass since i re mounted the scope it might be a little off but shouldnt be too far off!

It fits the lamp better now and its moved back a bit!

Does 50 yards give you the flattest trajectory?

Subs at 50 stingers might be in around 60-70 will get 25 50 and 100 yards grouping on the cci subs tomorrow depending on weather!

I didnt group too bad at 65 yards... i may get the yo dave trigger kit trigger is way to heavy for my liking!

So if the guns firing left by moving the turret right you move the bullet to the crosshairs?

1shot16 wrote: »
    Does 50 yards give you the flattest trajectory?
    The settings i gave above are for 50 yards. If you want it zeroed for longer you need to place the target at the desired distance and then click up more for 60, 70, 80, etc.
    Subs at 50 stingers might be in around 60-70 will get 25 50 and 100 yards grouping on the cci subs tomorrow depending on weather!
    You will need to check zero for subs, stingers, and every different brand of ammo you use. All the subs should be close enough to each other, but the stingers will have a different zero than subs as they are supersonic compared to the subsonics. Faster means slightly flatter trajectory.
    I didnt group too bad at 65 yards... i may get the yo dave trigger kit trigger is way to heavy for my liking!
    It makes a difference and a heavy trigger can cause "pulled" shots to one side or the other. However as all shots are slightly left the few clicks in windage will eliminate any scope issue and any other deviation will be down to you and the trigger pull.
    So if the guns firing left by moving the turret right you move the bullet to the crosshairs?
    When you click "UP" the crosshair will actually go down. This forces you to raise the scope/rifle up.

As for windage, I was only thinking about this after i posted. Some scopes when you turn/click right move the crosshair right. Some move it left. So i edited my post above to correct for what the scope should do rather than what it might do.

Click the windage turret 3 clicks left. This should turn the crosshairs from the bullseye (where i assume you were aiming) and into the group. When you move the crosshair back onto the bullseye the shot will now hit where you aim. So now you POA (point of aim) is your POI (point of impact).

If for some reason the shots go further out to the left then the crosshairs move in the opposite direction and so you need to take off the 3 clicks you just done, and add another 3 clicks to correctly adjust for proper windage zero.

This is why shooting after you adjust your scope is essential.

I know the stingers are more powerful and all but better to be accurate than have no accuracy and power thats why i like the subs...also very quite so ur not scaring everything away!

Thanks again will post up 25 50 and 65 or 100 yards groupings tomorrow

Thanks again cass!

Advertisement