Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a good laptop for programming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

You dont need a lot of cpu power to program, you are going to be running a few lines of code. An i3 4gb ram 120gb hdd system would be more than enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

JJJJNR wrote: »
    You dont need a lot of cpu power to program, you are going to be running a few lines of code. An i3 4gb ram 120gb hdd system would be more than enough.

So this one definitely suits the bill.

You could save a bit of cash and get this one instead

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Hewlett_Packard_i3-3110M_Core_i3-3110M_Windows_8.1_64_Bit_4GB_DDR3_RAM_500G_F0Y89EA/version.asp

quote="Hollister11;91699831"]So this one definitely suits the bill.[/quote]

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'm a big Lenovo fan, but for college programming you're not going to need a beast :)

Enjoy the quick compile times, soon enough you'll be working in a MNC wondering why on earth does it take 40mins to an hour for some bloody code to be turned into an exe :eek:

• Advertisement

c_man wrote: »
    I'm a big Lenovo fan, but for college programming you're not going to need a beast :)

Enjoy the quick compile times, soon enough you'll be working in a MNC wondering why on earth does it take 40mins to an hour for some bloody code to be turned into an exe :eek:

I hope to own my own MNC after college :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'll get my CV ready!

c_man wrote: »
    I'll get my CV ready!

Hey!! Join the queue buddy, i bags the CIO job.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Find a machine with a good keyboard and trackpad. Head into a shop and open a text editor and type a bit. See how well the trackpad behaves. There can be a lot of variation.

You can write code on a potato as long as you have the editor or IDE and compilers you need. Unless you're solving physics simulations, CFD etc, most code won't require much in the way of raw horsepiwe.

5uspect wrote: »
    Find a machine with a good keyboard and trackpad. Head into a shop and open a text editor and type a bit. See how well the trackpad behaves. There can be a lot of variation.

You can write code on a potato as long as you have the editor or IDE and compilers you need. Unless you're solving physics simulations, CFD etc, most code won't require much in the way of raw horsepiwe.

This is sound advice, some of the old IBM .. T43 T42 etc have the best keyboards and trackpads. You could pick one of them up for 120 euros on adverts or donedeal... you would be super hardcore in your class.. girls would want to be your friend.

• Advertisement

Girls in programming class? Snort!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Out of interest what course are you expecting to be doing. Programming itself isnt intensive on a CPU but if its a wider more varied aspect of computing you may have different needs, if you link the course we can understand your needs better. Also worth noting you wont be expected to have a laptop for the first week or 2 of college, your tutors etc can advise you on what youll need :)

Recurve360 wrote: »
    Out of interest what course are you expecting to be doing. Programming itself isnt intensive on a CPU but if its a wider more varied aspect of computing you may have different needs, if you link the course we can understand your needs better. Also worth noting you wont be expected to have a laptop for the first week or 2 of college, your tutors etc can advise you on what youll need :)

Also there are lots of student discounts from
    OEMs and some universities have laptop builds that they sell pretty cheaply.

Advertisement