Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Won't stay in 5th gear

• 12-08-2014 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi

I had a 2004 mk5 golf 1.9tdi

The problem is that lately 5th gear was starting to slip out every now and then. It has been doing this with the last three weeks. Today when I was driving home it wouldn't stop popping out. It was so bad I had to keep pressure on the gear stick to how it in gear.

What exactly is gone inside the gearbox?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

Anyone have any idea's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

could be gearbox some go a lot sooner.replacement is not difficult as they are fairly plentiful. what mileage has car done. its hardly bad bushing allowing linkage to get sloppy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Could be several things... Could be bad syncros, linkage or possibly tranny damage

sandydan wrote: »
    could be gearbox some go a lot sooner.replacement is not difficult as they are fairly plentiful. what mileage has car done. its hardly bad bushing allowing linkage to get sloppy

The mileage is only 130,000. Does anyone know where I can buy gearbox parts online?

The mileage is only 130,000. Does anyone know where I can buy gearbox parts online?
    i had to replace gearbox's at around 100,000. labour repairing may cost more than replacement from crashed car or van. but id hold onto old and try to fix or rip out first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get a pro opinion before buying anything. Ypu don't want to spend money on something unnecessary.
    Will you do this DIY?

biko wrote: »
    Get a pro opinion before buying anything. Ypu don't want to spend money on something unnecessary.
    Will you do this DIY?

+1 for that sensible suggestion

biko wrote: »
    Will you do this DIY?

Yeah I'm going to try do this myself

sandydan wrote: »
    i had to replace gearbox's at around 100,000. labour repairing may cost more than replacement from crashed car or van. but id hold onto old and try to fix or rip out first

Yeah I got a quote off naas gearbox to recondition the gearbox is €300-680 depending on what's damaged

Yeah I got a quote off naas gearbox to recondition the gearbox is €300-680 depending on what's damaged
    did you not try breakers for gearbox from rear ender crash , i never gave over 150 for one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meso Harney

Boxes are soft in them though, not a bad price for a rebuild, that would be my choice. Wouldn't decide it's the box though straight away, and if you do the box think about doing the clutch and flywheel

Boxes are soft in them though, not a bad price for a rebuild, that would be my choice. Wouldn't decide it's the box though straight away, and if you do the box think about doing the clutch and flywheel
    +1

HI guys

i finally got around to fixing it. I got a whole new 5th gear and put it in. Toke about 4 hours is all and not too hard doing it. While i was at it i did a clutch, flywheel and release bearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

HI guys

i finally got around to fixing it. I got a whole new 5th gear and put it in. Toke about 4 hours is all and not too hard doing it. While i was at it i did a clutch, flywheel and release bearing.

Was it handy enough? 5th gears aren't supposed to be to bad in the older vw's. I know a lot of folk diy fit different 5th gears to give lower rpm's in MkIV transporters.

Hi

Nope it wasnt too bad... just a bit awkward is all

HI guys

fair dues to you , most will tackle engine overhaul but gearbox/ transmissions are a no no for most, best of luck anyways

Advertisement