Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jewish group asks France to rename 'Death to Jews' hamlet

• 12-08-2014 10:33pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28764207
    A prominent Jewish group, the Simon Wiesenthal Centre, has asked the French government to rename a small village in central France that is currently called 'Death to Jews' ('La Mort aux Juifs').
    The centre's director wrote to France's interior minister to request the removal of "this genocidal name".
    What an unusual name, are there any unusually named places places (in Irish or English) in Ireland that might need to be renamed as they could cause offence to someone?

I can't think of any..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

What an unusual name, are there any unusually named places places (in Irish or English) in Ireland that might need to be renamed as they could cause offence to someone?

I can't think of any..

Muff

/Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I can't think of any..

Cork

Cork
    I just knew that someone would say that! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

This is a fair request. What a strange name for a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

I've been petitioning Meath county council for about 5 years now to rename the town of Kilcock to StiffyMor since I became impotent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Well, I for one find Killinadocker highly offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

stmol32 wrote: »
    I've been petitioning Meath county council for about 5 years now to rename the town of Kilcock to StiffyMor since I became impotent.

If I was you,I would give Kildare Co-co a shout.
    You might have more success if you petition the right Co-co!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Stillorgan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

An Indian takeaway in Tobercurry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Kilbrittain, Co. Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

This is a fair request. What a strange name for a place.

Why would it be fair for them to change a name that dates back to the middle ages and has nothing to do with modern day Jews? I think it's a ridiculous request, one would think the Wiesenthal centre would have real issues to be dealing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Egginacup wrote: »
    Stillorgan

It's Irish translation is no better, Mickey Marbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Says goes back to the 11th century, So that would be a no. Genocidal name ? Seems they are actively going out to look and find offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

How many times, it's Curry you need for that gag.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Says goes back to the 11th century, So that would be a no. Genocidal name ? Seems they are actively going out to look and find offence.

I kwow. Some people are just so touchy. Imagine a jewish person finding a village named Death to Jews offensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Hackballscross.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

There's a Bastardstown in Co Wexford, and an Effin in Co Limerick

Egginacup wrote: »
    Stillorgan

Bod gan bogadh

I kwow. Some people are just so touchy. Imagine a jewish person finding a village named Death to Jews offensive!

Yes I know it's mad, A name that's been around since the 11th century that has nothing to do with the modern day Jewish holocaust.

Chinese takeaway in Newcastlewest called The Rice Paddy.

• Advertisement

Kilkelly. What do all the Kellys think of that?

Crookstown.

Crookstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

See Israel it's France your real problem lys. Now leave all those innocent children you've been killing in Palestine (Gaza) alone..

Find it very hard to agree or take interest in anything a Jew has to say these days. That's shallow of me but I'm only being honest.

See Israel it's France your real problem lys. Now leave all those innocent children you've been killing in Palestine (Gaza) alone..

Find it very hard to agree or take interest in anything a Jew has to say these days. That's shallow of me but I'm only being honest.

You really must distinguish between Jews and Zionists. All Germans are not guilty of the Nazis' atrocitues, nor all Irish of what the IRA did etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

NO YOU'RE wrong , they won't change the name of the town because of their typical public service laziness in this the country not because I didn't do basic wikiedia search of the right county council to petition (or Co-co as the boards PC brigade would have you believe)

I don't have the 5 seconds to spare to do a quick check the internet before I post on boards I'll have you know sir, I'm busy paying self righteous taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Cork
    I just knew that someone would say that! :pac:

There's good reason as well, I mean, they even have places in Cork called ****** Hill.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Reminds me of the time an African gentleman standing at a bus stop asked an Israeli chap "what time is the bus due?" The Israeli replied, "who are you calling a jew, you black b******!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

so, a group of american busybodies want to have a moan and dictate how a French town conducts itself? Howcome they (jewish groups, not jewish people in general) always bring it back to the nazi's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Not a place as such but there is a mountain near where I'm from called Devilsmother - however this isn't actually it's English translation. Ask any local gaelgoir and they will say the translation from Irish is actually "Demons Testicles". (I don't know the name of it in Irish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,620 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Next we'll have the Muslims on our case about Killala.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I think the world would be a very slightly nicer place if there wasn't a town called Kill The Jews - and if people could actually think things through before the "Durrrr, you're just looking for offence lol" laziness.

And the Gaza bombardment tainting all Jews? That's just stupid (I support the Palestinians btw).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

They should change the name.

for a price :D

They should change the name.

for a price :D

Why, They said no 20 years ago apparently. (And before you ask yes the name is distasteful.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Didn't this (or something similar) happen a few months ago in Spain?

Castrillo Matajudíos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

If your going to use that logic maybe you should not take any notice of the Palestinians over Isis's actions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Why, They said no 20 years ago apparently. (And before you ask yes the name is distasteful.)

Who said it wasn't'.

And before you ask yes you can but make sure to put a peg on your nose first and wear some lipstick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yes I know it's mad, A name that's been around since the 11th century that has nothing to do with the modern day Jewish holocaust.

So how long do we need to wait till we start naming places after the Holocaust for it to be ok?
    so, a group of american busybodies want to have a moan and dictate how a French town conducts itself?
    We should all have a say in how those cheese eating surrender monkeys go about their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

This is where we are better than the French.

Ireland's village of Kill ( in Kildare) is an equal opportunities offender. No chauvism there. Kill. Kill them all. No racial preferences.

Learn up, Frenchies.

So how long do we need to wait till we start naming places after the Holocaust for it to be ok?

Depends on the holocaust. My man Cromwell is still outside the Mother Of Parliaments, even though he prorogued and dissolved parliament.

• Advertisement

I'm sure no Irish person would object to a place called Death to the Irish.

Because that would be just too sensitive.

Candie wrote: »
    I'm sure no Irish person would object to a place called Death to the Irish.

Because that would be just too sensitive.

We'd get over it for a small consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

PC gone mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

This is where we are better than the French.

Ireland's village of Kill ( in Kildare) is an equal opportunities offender. No chauvism there. Kill. Kill them all. No racial preferences.

Learn up, Frenchies.
    We Irish have a 'get out of jail free' card. T'was the brits who anglicised most of our place names!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

I can't think of any..

When they stop the genocide in Gaza, then it would be time to ask such trivial questions. Ho long has that town held that name ?.

When they stop the genocide in Gaza, then it would be time to ask such trivial questions. Ho long has that town held that name ?.

****, the situation is worse than I thought. The Simon Wiesenthal centre has rockets now too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

****, the situation is worse than I thought. The Simon Wiesenthal centre has rockets now too?

I would think that human life is more important than the name of a village.

You know that blaming all Jews for the actions of the Israeli government is a little weeny bit unfair, right?

A bit like blaming all Catholics for the actions of pedophile priests, or all Germans for the Holocaust or even all Muslims for Isis.

Or all Dubliners for that thing, that time, that some Dubliner did that wasn't very nice.

I would think that human life is more important than the name of a village.

Maybe we should head down to the local mosque and tell the lads to stop murdering Christians in Iraq? You know, cos theyre all the same people.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Candie wrote: »
    You know that blaming all Jews for the actions of the Israeli government is a little weeny bit unfair, right?

A bit like blaming all Catholics for the actions of pedophile priests, or all Germans for the Holocaust or even all Muslims for Isis.

Or all Dubliners for that thing, that time, that some Dubliner did that wasn't very nice.

When they elected Bertie? :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement