Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

student accomodation

• 12-08-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

so i've been looking for accommodation and everyone i've rang are saying their houses are full... and the leaving cert results aren't even out yet... taken a trip down to Athlone tomorrow to hopefully sort it out but I thought id let people know who don't have somewhere yet to try and sort it out quick fast :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 zoeh0908

hey im also staring in athlone this year and I am looking for somewhere to live, I am just wondering if you had found anywhere? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 karina19

well im staying in crystal village but try rent.ie or daft.ie there pretty good... there is a list on student union website of houses but ive rang nearly every number and they were all full so I wouldn't recommend trying that. then theres the student villages but they have collosal deposits so if yur willing to pay go for it. let me know when you find somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 zoeh0908

ok thanks so much, do you think that there are any more rooms in crystal village?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭christy11

is there any places to not stay in around the college? like bad accomadation places, ignorint landlords, dodgy people hangin around ect?

emm not in my house I don't think so but take a look on rent.ie etc the houses in crystal village are actually only like 10 year olds so there pretty new which means easy to heat... as regards to the bad accommodation I was told te stay away from the willow estates there supposed te be pretty rough areas and aswell as atn they may be cheap to rent but bins, esb, heating etc will still have to be paid for so there actually not as cheap as ya wud think. hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭pawrick

From Athlone, definitely avoid willow park area, some burnt out houses in there etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭TimeClock18

check www.aitsu.com and go to the accommodation section

Houses, Digs & Self catering options updated daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Probably common sense to most people but I'll say it anyway since a lot of you are probably new to the whole having to get accommodation for college thing:

When you view the house with the landlord ask as many questions as you need to. Especially ask what the usual situation is with heating (oil) and how the bins are sorted out. A lot of landlords purchase the heating oil around winter and then just expect the tenants to cough up and it can come as something of a shock to first time renters.

When you move in make a list of anything damaged or broken or anything that isn't right. Get the landlord to sign it. Keep your own rentbook too and have the landlord enter in the details or any rent and sign off on that also, goes for electricity/bins/internet charges either.

Only mentioning the above because "bad accommodation places" won't arise if you stick to the above.

wow that's really good advice thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nifi

Hi, im starting in Athlone on the 8th September. I cant get accommodation anywhere in Athlone. Is there any rooms available to rent in a house in Athlone. Im getting very worried now.

• Advertisement

its a bit late bu try the su facebook page or rent .ie or daft.ie there might still be a few. yu might have to go for digs or something tho :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Check travel companies in the area you live. Some towns offer bus travel to the college normally run by private companies.

Might sort you out in the event you can't find a place by college start.

Advertisement