Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mccloskc

EM1308 wrote: »
    Wow 76 is a great essay score! How did you manage that? Don't lose hope! You'll get there in the points you need in the end.

Just practiced a lot... Tbh I thought I did worse in the essays than in March. I'm gonna sit again but I hope I get an offer in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭loopylulu

If you can, I would sit it again. as it is, I'm in two minds whether to re-sit in March. I have to stay in Dublin but afraid of the scores going up next year. Is there any point ringing the colleges yet since there are prob not many applicants who have done their cao yet?

loopylulu wrote: »
    If you can, I would sit it again. as it is, I'm in two minds whether to re-sit in March. I have to stay in Dublin but afraid of the scores going up next year. Is there any point ringing the colleges yet since there are prob not many applicants who have done their cao yet?

I'm sure the cutoff points requires the March results too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Meg_Med_2013

Got a 54 in UK sitting guys...do you think I could scrape UL? Thanks in advance, any thoughts appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GG10

Hi guys im in 4th year Physio and just sat the UK GAMSAT in September got a score of 56, am delighted but was banking on RCSI GEM the cut off was 56 last year going on trends though everywhere seems to have declined in points lately? Thinking i should re-sit in March:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 SwiftEagle

I'm on 56 and I'm definitely resitting. Last year only one chap that was on 56 didn't get RCSI if I'm not mistaken but I'm taking no chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 EM1308

SwiftEagle wrote: »
    I'm on 56 and I'm definitely resitting. Last year only one chap that was on 56 didn't get RCSI if I'm not mistaken but I'm taking no chances.

Do you have any idea how many in UCD who were on 57 didn't get it? I'm on 58 and going to repeat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GG10

Yeah it a bit close to call. UCC and UL are options but ideally dublin would be perfect

I'm in the position where I can onlying afford dublin I am without a guarantor so that's UCC off the list. Although I wouldn't mind UL, staying at home can afford me to pay for 3 years of college myself rather than 2 in UL with a UB loan to cover the last two.

EM1308 wrote: »
    Do you have any idea how many in UCD who were on 57 didn't get it? I'm on 58 and going to repeat too.

I think most, if not all got in (the ones who didn't, from what I know took RCSI) anyways since 2012, a 58 would have easily got you into UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 danjbrady

Anyone here thinking of taking the prep courses?
    Are they necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DonalG45

danjbrady wrote: »
    Anyone here thinking of taking the prep courses?
    Are they necessary?

I just got a decent result in the uk exam without any prep courses so no, I don't think they're neccessary. Plenty of other people on here have done very well without prep courses also

• Registered Users Posts: 3 danjbrady

DonalG45 wrote: »
    I just got a decent result in the uk exam without any prep courses so no, I don't think they're neccessary. Plenty of other people on here have done very well without prep courses also

Thanks Donal,

So the best bet is get all the notes and dig in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nuggy83

Hey. Im a UK resident thinking of applying to Ireland next year in case I dont get into a UK med school. I got 60 in the UK GAMSAT, and although this would have been good for this year, do people know the history of UCDs GAMSAT cutoffs? Are they likely to rise next year? This year saw a slight rise the UK GAMSAT uni cutoffs....

danjbrady wrote: »
    Thanks Donal,

So the best bet is get all the notes and dig in?

Yep that would be my advice! It certainly worked for me. I can't guarantee it will work for everyone but a solid grounding in the science basics and plenty of practice with the acer exam papers might be all you need. Don't waste your time rote memorizing heaps of science. Exam technique plays a huge part in the GAMSAT. Get the timing down and get used to the kind of questions they throw at you. Section 1 and 3 aren't called 'Reasoning' for nothing, you'll find that a lot of the time you can find the right answer with little to no previous knowledge by reasoning your way through it, eliminating wrong answers etc.

nuggy83 wrote: »
    Hey. Im a UK resident thinking of applying to Ireland next year in case I dont get into a UK med school. I got 60 in the UK GAMSAT, and although this would have been good for this year, do people know the history of UCDs GAMSAT cutoffs? Are they likely to rise next year? This year saw a slight rise the UK GAMSAT uni cutoffs....

Took a bit of searching but I found a link to some previous GAMSAT cut offs and the last time UCD's cut-off was at 60 was in 2010 and even then a 60 would probably have gotten you in. They've been steady at 57/58 over the last 4 years so I'd say you're safe enough. Still, if you're worried and you have the money for it, I'd consider doing the exam again in March to see if you can up your score.

Edit. Here's the scores for anyone interested:

College No Places ‘14 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
    ---UL
    53----53---53----54----56---56
    ---RCSI
    57----57---59----59----62---60
    ---UCC
    55----56---55----56----69---59
    ---UCD
    57----58---57----58----60---60

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

2yZ2qMt.png
    Here's the above in graph form. That's what procrastination can do to you! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nickynoonoo5

Hi guys,

Got a 56 in the UK test in September, anybody have any ideas about what happened with RCSI last year? I know not everyone who had 56 was offered a place so am wondering how they chose those who did get in on that score - is there an interview or anything? Also I will be working towards improving my science as I got 78 in the essays so if anyone else wants to work in a study group Id be glad to get that up and running!

Nicole

Hi guys,

Got a 56 in the UK test in September, anybody have any ideas about what happened with RCSI last year? I know not everyone who had 56 was offered a place so am wondering how they chose those who did get in on that score - is there an interview or anything? Also I will be working towards improving my science as I got 78 in the essays so if anyone else wants to work in a study group Id be glad to get that up and running!

Nicole

I'm same. Got 53 and 76 in the essays. Looking to bump up my science too. I'm hoping to get limerick but resitting in March anyway. Where u based?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

FYI RCSI actually came down to 56 points this year. I had already accepted a place in UCC so I wasn't going to change 2 weeks into term. But, I would expect them to come down again !!

Also, I did the 2012 and 2014 exams. I found the 2014 exam to be twice as hard. No joke. There was a SERIOUS difference, particularly in section III.

Also, selling my GAMSAT stash of 28 books off super-cheap before XMAS http://www.adverts.ie/7064268

Any questions Re: Loans/CAO hit me. I went through it all with BOI this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

Hi guys,

Nicole

So, I had a super long convo with RCSI admissions. There were 15 people on the waiting list at 56 points last year. She offered about 10 of them places. She does all the non-eu offers first and usually has a couple of declines, then every year another 3/4 eu students drop out due to lack of finance.

So, yeah I think only 2/3 people on 56 didn't get offered RCSI. Cause I was super far down the waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭loopylulu

how are you finding the course kanurocks? I'm hoping for rcsi, have score of 59 so should be alright. Wish I had started this year though as the next 9 months are going to be filled with me doubting myself and going over all the reasons why I shouldn't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cyt123

does anyone know where the exact location for the GAMSAT in Limerick is?

also, im guessing the uni's only look at your overall GAMSAT score (and not your scores for the different sections)...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chloe1993

Hey guys, I am also doing the GAMSAT in March. Is there a study group in Dublin? Or is anyone interested in a study group?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

cyt123 wrote: »
    does anyone know where the exact location for the GAMSAT in Limerick is?

also, im guessing the uni's only look at your overall GAMSAT score (and not your scores for the different sections)...?

Hi last year the gamsat was on in UL's main building, I'm not sure of the room number but it will be printed on the ticket :)
    Yes as far as I know in Ireland it is just your overall score that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rillers

Hi, I have all the courses, books and test papers that I used to pass the Gamsat in 2012. I obviously have no need to these now and would like to pass them all on for a small consideration to a deserving candidate. Any ideas on how I should find one?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 medpad

rillers wrote: »
    Hi, I have all the courses, books and test papers that I used to pass the Gamsat in 2012. I obviously have no need to these now and would like to pass them all on for a small consideration to a deserving candidate. Any ideas on how I should find one?

Hi Rillers

I'm sitting the Gamsat in March. I would definitely be interested in any good prep resources you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rillers

Hi Medpad

What I have is.....

Gradmed Course.
    Griffith's Gamsat review.
    Gamsat Gold Standard book.
    Des O'Neill's Gamsatprep Course Red Series.
    Medired Gamsat preparation Course, book 1 and 2.

These cost us over 1000 euro and they got my daughter into UCD so now we'd just like to pass them on. Would 100 euro sound fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 medpad

rillers wrote: »
    Hi Medpad

What I have is.....

Gradmed Course.
    Griffith's Gamsat review.
    Gamsat Gold Standard book.
    Des O'Neill's Gamsatprep Course Red Series.
    Medired Gamsat preparation Course, book 1 and 2.

These cost us over 1000 euro and they got my daughter into UCD so now we'd just like to pass them on. Would 100 euro sound fair?

Just sent you a private message. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 EM1308

I think most, if not all got in (the ones who didn't, from what I know took RCSI) anyways since 2012, a 58 would have easily got you into UCD.

Thanks very much for your reply! Only seeing this now for some reason :)

Advertisement