Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

Just got a call from BOI, loan approved! Don't really know how to feel. Went there last Wednesday expecting as before not to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Junoon

Just got a call from BOI, loan approved! Don't really know how to feel. Went there last Wednesday expecting as before not to get it.

Congrats ...so this is ur second year ....and u didn't get in first bcose of no guarantor... That gives me hope for second year...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lawlesp4

Hey guys I'm registering with the cao to apply for graduate medicine, I've applied before so I've noticed differences in the application. It's asking me for my employment history, personal statement and references, none of these were on my application last year. Is it because I'm 23 now so I qualify as a mature student? Would I have to fill out these sections even if I'm not applying for mature entry medicine?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 chocice94

lawlesp4 wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm registering with the cao to apply for graduate medicine, I've applied before so I've noticed differences in the application. It's asking me for my employment history, personal statement and references, none of these were on my application last year. Is it because I'm 23 now so I qualify as a mature student? Would I have to fill out these sections even if I'm not applying for mature entry medicine?

Thats really weird, it probably is as when I filled out my CAO it asked me for no such thing and i'm less than 23 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 screweddoc

Anyone considering getting a loan and studying graduate entry medicine needs to educate themselves with the current conditions for doctors in Ireland / UK. You could be making the biggest mistake of your lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Just to counter-balance the above hyperbole- I'm in grad med and we've had talks with GEM graduates during this semester who have no issue with the repayments and said it's very manageable.

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Just to counter-balance the above hyperbole- I'm in grad med and we've had talks with GEM graduates during this semester who have no issue with the repayments and said it's very manageable.

If you had to take a guess, how much money do you think an NCHD in Ireland is paid per hour? What about a consultant 14 years into their career?

Anita Blow wrote: »

If you had to take a guess, how much money do you think an NCHD in Ireland is paid per hour? What about a consultant 14 years into their career?

Even forgetting all the other expenses of life, what hourly rate would make the loan repayment manageable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

screweddoc wrote: »

Even forgetting all the other expenses of life, what hourly rate would make the loan repayment manageable?

NCHD salaries are comparable with other junior positions and consultants earn (at very least) over 100k. So, i'm going to say above average salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MedHope123

I rang UL the cut off for this year is 54 but unfortunately I rank outside the top 15 so theres no chance ill get a 2nd round offer. If anyone wants to check ring this number 061 202 700, ask about the gamsat cut off, they will transfer you and then ask where you are on the list! Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favour haha

lawlesp4, do you mind me asking if you ever got in with 54?
    I am in the same situation this year with 55. But they wont tell me where I rank on the Second Round list. Do you know what this is based on?

Has anyone ever recieved a second round offer from UL fro Graduate Entry Medicine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Theff

MedHope123 wrote: »
    lawlesp4, do you mind me asking if you ever got in with 54?
    I am in the same situation this year with 55. But they wont tell me where I rank on the Second Round list. Do you know what this is based on?

Has anyone ever recieved a second round offer from UL fro Graduate Entry Medicine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

I'm the same. I emailed and they said I was not in the top 10 on the waiting list unfortunately. as far as I know, the second offers have been given, but they also told me that they were confident that the spaces would be filled and there would not be many second round offers.

Unfortunate i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

The deadline for accepting first round offers only passed this evening, so second round offers won't be made until Monday at the earliest, or so I've been told. The colleges may actually be able to tell you tomorrow if the points will drop in the second round and if they expect to make more offers. I also know from previous years that there's always a lot of movement for even the first few weeks after the courses begin - people drop out for various reasons and those places will have to be offered.

As far as I know, people with the same points are randomly assigned numbers by the CAO and that determines who is top of the waiting list. It's not the responsibility of the individual colleges to compile the list.

Best of luck to you both!

I rang UL the cut off for this year is 54 but unfortunately I rank outside the top 15 so theres no chance ill get a 2nd round offer. If anyone wants to check ring this number 061 202 700, ask about the gamsat cut off, they will transfer you and then ask where you are on the list! Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favour haha
    The deadline for accepting first round offers only passed this evening, so second round offers won't be made until Monday at the earliest, or so I've been told. The colleges may actually be able to tell you tomorrow if the points will drop in the second round and if they expect to make more offers. I also know from previous years that there's always a lot of movement for even the first few weeks after the courses begin - people drop out for various reasons and those places will have to be offered.

As far as I know, people with the same points are randomly assigned numbers by the CAO and that determines who is top of the waiting list. It's not the responsibility of the individual colleges to compile the list.

Best of luck to you both!

Yeah I dont think any second round offer have been made yet if yesterday was Round 0 deadline ? But I will presume that they will just go out with the next round of offers in Cao? Which is the 22nd of August.

They also told me that it is unlikely they will make second round offers and they haven't needed to in previous years but I am finding this a bit hard to believe because I know a girl who got in last year on second round so maybe they are just saving themselves by saying that? I hope so anyway ! I am just finding it unusual that they are saying they wont make any more offers?

Also apparently the waiting list is weighted on your undergrad score and where you have UL placed on the CAO?

Does anyone know anythign more about this'?

Yeah I dont think any second round offer have been made yet if yesterday was Round 0 deadline ? But I will presume that they will just go out with the next round of offers in Cao? Which is the 22nd of August.

They also told me that it is unlikely they will make second round offers and they haven't needed to in previous years but I am finding this a bit hard to believe because I know a girl who got in last year on second round so maybe they are just saving themselves by saying that? I hope so anyway ! I am just finding it unusual that they are saying they wont make any more offers?

Also apparently the waiting list is weighted on your undergrad score and where you have UL placed on the CAO?

Does anyone know anythign more about this'?

RCSI and UCD both made second round offers today - I spoke to admissions in both colleges this afternoon. RCSI's cut-off dropped to 58* and UCD is still at 59* - people have to respond by Tuesday evening and then further offers will be made on Wednesday. Offers will then be made as often as needed to fill all places. UCD will now poach people from RCSI, RCSI will poach from UCC etc. as points requirements drop. I believe UL also made some offers today. Admissions in RCSI said that they expect lots of movement for the next few weeks and I have heard many instances of people being offered places a week or two into the courses in previous years. Things will continue to change for a number of weeks - people will be denied loans and will drop out, people will be offered places in the UK and will take them, people will simply change their minds etc etc.

The waiting list is entirely random. Where you ranked a college or any previous results have no influence whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 Esophagus

Things will continue to change for a number of weeks - people will be denied loans and will drop out, people will be offered places in the UK and will take them, people will simply change their minds etc etc.
    Or, likely in my case: people will not win the scholarship and drop out. But, yeah, my place will probably be up for the taking.

Esophagus wrote: »
    Or, likely in my case: people will not win the scholarship and drop out. But, yeah, my place will probably be up for the taking.

All the best with it, it's awfully cruel to keep to you waiting.

RCSI and UCD both made second round offers today - I spoke to admissions in both colleges this afternoon. RCSI's cut-off dropped to 58* and UCD is still at 59* - people have to respond by Tuesday evening and then further offers will be made on Wednesday. Offers will then be made as often as needed to fill all places. UCD will now poach people from RCSI, RCSI will poach from UCC etc. as points requirements drop. I believe UL also made some offers today. Admissions in RCSI said that they expect lots of movement for the next few weeks and I have heard many instances of people being offered places a week or two into the courses in previous years. Things will continue to change for a number of weeks - people will be denied loans and will drop out, people will be offered places in the UK and will take them, people will simply change their minds etc etc.

The waiting list is entirely random. Where you ranked a college or any previous results have no influence whatsoever.

UL Admissions office told me that they were ranked using those two criteria!

where did you hear that UL made offers?

where did you hear that UL made offers?

From admissions in RCSI and UCD.

To the very best of my knowledge, colleges are not allowed to decide on their own criteria for waiting lists, it's all done through the CAO. I'm a recent graduate of RCSI with a 1.1 degree, had it as my first choice and I'm definitely nowhere near the top of the waiting list for the people on 58.

From admissions in RCSI and UCD.

To the very best of my knowledge, colleges are not allowed to decide on their own criteria for waiting lists, it's all done through the CAO. I'm a recent graduate of RCSI with a 1.1 degree, had it as my first choice and I'm definitely nowhere near the top of the waiting list for the people on 58.

I think they are allowed to decide themselves because if it was done through CAO they wouldnt have been able to make offers independently as they have done yesterday.
    The people in admissions office told me thats how its ranked down there. May well be different for RCSI though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 lawlesp4

Hey guys I need a bit of info, I got offered RCSI on round zero which I was happy to accept but I got a call on Friday from ucd saying I'm high on their list and likely to get an offer in the next round. UCD was my first choice but ive kind of come round to the idea of going to RCSI. I know they're both fantastic colleges but does anyone which is better, I really just don't want to regret my decision in a few weeks. UCD has the mater as its teaching hospital which is meant to be amazing, but when I ask people which out of the two people keep saying RCSI but I can tell it's for no other reason than its name.
    Very confused and I know there are people on this who didn't get an offer so apologies if I sound ungrateful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 Esophagus

Hey guys I need a bit of info, I got offered RCSI on round zero which I was happy to accept but I got a call on Friday from ucd saying I'm high on their list and likely to get an offer in the next round. UCD was my first choice but ive kind of come round to the idea of going to RCSI. I know they're both fantastic colleges but does anyone which is better, I really just don't want to regret my decision in a few weeks. UCD has the mater as its teaching hospital which is meant to be amazing, but when I ask people which out of the two people keep saying RCSI but I can tell it's for no other reason than its name.
    Very confused and I know there are people on this who didn't get an offer so apologies if I sound ungrateful!
    Use google to research how comparable they are and student experiences etc. That would probably be more reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

My advice is to go for the college with the teaching hospitals that are easiest for you to get to. You'll appreciate it when you have 7am starts for placement

• Registered Users Posts: 13 EmmaD1

Just out of curiosity, did anyone get a second round offer from either of the Dublin colleges today? Based on previous posts, people had to get back to them by last night saying if they were accepting their second round offer or not. I was wondering if some people didn't accept and therefore more offers were made today? Trying to work out if there are many second round offers being made by UCD and RCSI which will in turn be likely to influence third round offers in the likes of Cork and Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eldoop

Hey all, so I'm not hopeful at all but what are the chances of getting into UCD with 57 this year in round 1, 2, ...? I'm guessing slim to none, but has anyone any experience with getting a place, at UCD in particular, with points like mine (i.e. lower by 2 from Round 0).

My logic would be that there'll be people who will defer, people who won't get funding/loans, people who will have higher marks than me and have been offered another place and then not want to change if they get offered UCD, and then general dropout.

Again, not hopeful at all and guessing slim to none. Already in process of studying for it again in September. I had placed all my eggs in this one basket, unfortunately. So, I'm kind of floundering here at the moment!

Did many people get second round offers this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 Indiankid

Got a second round offer from RCSI and accepted it. I got 58 in GAMSAT

Congrats Indiankid, you must be delighted! Had you been holding out for Dublin or had you already accepted somewhere else? Good to hear people getting what they wanted in the second round.

EmmaD1 wrote: »
    Did many people get second round offers this morning?

I got an offer from UL this morning too

• Advertisement

You got an offer MedHope123 - that's fantastic! Delighted for you :0)

Advertisement