Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 snapcracklepop

kanurocks wrote: »
    FYI RCSI actually came down to 56 points this year. I had already accepted a place in UCC so I wasn't going to change 2 weeks into term. But, I would expect them to come down again !!

Also, I did the 2012 and 2014 exams. I found the 2014 exam to be twice as hard. No joke. There was a SERIOUS difference, particularly in section III.

Also, selling my GAMSAT stash of 28 books off super-cheap before XMAS

Any questions Re: Loans/CAO hit me. I went through it all with BOI this year!

're. Loans I have a meeting with boi in a week. Would love to talk to you about how yours went and the approach I should take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gillydouglas

SwiftEagle wrote: »
    I'm on 56 and I'm definitely resitting. Last year only one chap that was on 56 didn't get RCSI if I'm not mistaken but I'm taking no chances.

hey there, i was on 56 last year and didn't get RCSI either, absolutely devastated giving it another go this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 medpad

hey there, i was on 56 last year and didn't get RCSI either, absolutely devastated giving it another go this year!

Sorry to hear that. Just wondering what are you planning to do extra this year. Any quick tips for a first timer? I'm aiming for UCC so 56 would hopefully do me :)

medpad wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. Just wondering what are you planning to do extra this year. Any quick tips for a first timer? I'm aiming for UCC so 56 would hopefully do me :)

I'm hoping just to improve on my science i got 80 on the essays and 52 in section 1 i was just let down by the science section. my tips would be to just practice exam technique and time yourself every time you do a practice test, because in the actual exam, time really does get on top you. Also i took advice last year to try and write an essay or two every day which really helped when it came to section 2. with only half an hour to write each it was very useful to have a bank of knowledge and several essays which could be used under several titles. for section 1 I'm using the MCAT 101 passages in verbal reasoning and it seems useful so far and hopefully will help bump up my score a bit. Best of luck with it and try not to be stressing :)

I'm hoping just to improve on my science i got 80 on the essays and 52 in section 1 i was just let down by the science section. my tips would be to just practice exam technique and time yourself every time you do a practice test, because in the actual exam, time really does get on top you. Also i took advice last year to try and write an essay or two every day which really helped when it came to section 2. with only half an hour to write each it was very useful to have a bank of knowledge and several essays which could be used under several titles. for section 1 I'm using the MCAT 101 passages in verbal reasoning and it seems useful so far and hopefully will help bump up my score a bit. Best of luck with it and try not to be stressing :)

Thank you for the advice. I got that MCAT Verbal reasoning book alright so I'll make sure to complete it :D Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 SwiftEagle

Hey, I am sorry to hear that too! Just wondering why you didn't take either UCC or UL? Is it dublin or bust for you too?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

Hi all hope the prep is going well, I'm selling all the materials I used for the exam. Feel free to private mail me if interested or have any questions about the gamsat ☺️

Hey, I am sorry to hear that too! Just wondering why you didn't take either UCC or UL? Is it dublin or bust for you too?

Hey, I didn't go for UCC or UL last year, dublin just makes much more sense for me and with the added expense of living costs and rent I wasn't sure if I would manage last year! This year I'm feeling much more prepared for a move if it comes to that, but giving it one good go to try earn a place in Dublin which would be a dream! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Hi!

I have came across a course I would love to do, but I need to sit the GAMSAT for it! Would I be crazy to even consider sitting this exam in March without any prior science background? Any ideas where to start? Thanks guys :)

Well guys, this time next month we will most likely be finishing up on section 1!!! Hows everyone's study going? I felt like iv'e done absolutely nothing over the past month. I really have to start practicing my essays more! I have a few days off work the week leading up to the exam so I think that should be sufficient. How does everyone else feel??

• Advertisement

GeneralC wrote: »
    Hi!

I have came across a course I would love to do, but I need to sit the GAMSAT for it! Would I be crazy to even consider sitting this exam in March without any prior science background? Any ideas where to start? Thanks guys :)

I think it might be too late to register for this years Gamsat?!

Well guys, this time next month we will most likely be finishing up on section 1!!! Hows everyone's study going? I felt like iv'e done absolutely nothing over the past month. I really have to start practicing my essays more! I have a few days off work the week leading up to the exam so I think that should be sufficient. How does everyone else feel??

Ive put a decent effort into Section III but based on what I've read it its a bit of a lottery.

Have started doing sample questions for Section I and will spend this month working on Essays. This is the part that I really need to work particularly the 2nd essay which is more reflective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I think it might be too late to register for this years Gamsat?!

Yup, but GAMSATUK is in September 2015 so plenty of time to study. I'm planning on heading to liverpool for the exam this year.

I'll be getting the ferry across and driving to liverpool from there, if anyone was thinking of doing the same thing let me.

GL.

Yup, but GAMSATUK is in September 2015 so plenty of time to study. I'm planning on heading to liverpool for the exam this year.

I'll be getting the ferry across and driving to liverpool from there, if anyone was thinking of doing the same thing let me.

GL.

Of course plenty time to study for Gamsat in Sept - although the previous poster did specifically ask about sitting the Gamsat in March but it is definitely too late to apply for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kodak9280

Hi Guys..... im currently on 54 and am hoping for UL in september. Im resitting in a few weeks to try come up and am hoping i do! Do you guys reckon im safe enough with 54?? Any advice would be appreciated!

Kodak9280 wrote: »
    Hi Guys..... im currently on 54 and am hoping for UL in september. Im resitting in a few weeks to try come up and am hoping i do! Do you guys reckon im safe enough with 54?? Any advice would be appreciated!

I suppose depends on whether the number of applicants have dropped. Doesn't seem to be much activity on here.. could that be an indicator.

At least you have a good chance with your current score and you're gonna do even better in a few weeks so think positive! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mccloskc

I suppose depends on whether the number of applicants have dropped. Doesn't seem to be much activity on here.. could that be an indicator.

At least you have a good chance with your current score and you're gonna do even better in a few weeks so think positive! :D
    I'm similar, on 53 but want Dublin. Working full time this time round so I'm not studying as much. Still hopeful of moving up a few points.

Mccloskc wrote: »
    I'm similar, on 53 but want Dublin. Working full time this time round so I'm not studying as much. Still hopeful of moving up a few points.

Hoping for Cork myself but would take anywhere. Is there any section in particular you think you could improve on?

Hoping for Cork myself but would take anywhere. Is there any section in particular you think you could improve on?
    section 3 I feel I can improve. Section I'm comfortable with and section I find a bit of a lottery. Never know how I did but still room for improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Any tips/materials for section 1?

• Advertisement

Omega28 wrote: »
    Any tips/materials for section 1?

Pm me, Ill give you access to the full suite of MCAT examkrackers with everything you could need.

I also have all the dummies books

Chem
    Org Chen
    Bio
    Physics

And their respective workbooks.

Ive just seen the 2015 CAO applications for medicine. A whole 6 MORE PEOPLE have chosen medicine as their first preference compared to this time last year...

****s just got real ladies and gentlemen...

Ive just seen the 2015 CAO applications for medicine. A whole 6 MORE PEOPLE have chosen medicine as their first preference compared to this time last year...

****s just got real ladies and gentlemen...
    Surely this doesn't matter for the graduate programme?

No not really, there was in around 3000 people that have medicine as their first preference. I'd imagine about 80% are undergrads as the CAO does not specify. At a guess, considering that your GAMSAT score is comparable year after year, I Imagine that the cutoffs will be the same as 2014.

No not really, there was in around 3000 people that have medicine as their first preference. I'd imagine about 80% are undergrads as the CAO does not specify. At a guess, considering that your GAMSAT score is comparable year after year, I Imagine that the cutoffs will be the same as 2014.
    As I'm on 53 already I hope you're right :)

As I'm on 53 already I hope you're right :)

Best of luck to you.

Surely this doesn't matter for the graduate programme?

Ya I don't think these figures apply to GEM at all.

Hopefully because GEM has been established in Ireland for last 7 or 8 years it means the initial burst in applications has tapered off... hopefully :D

Can't wait to get over with at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Anyone applying to do Physio in UL? GAMSAT needs to be taken for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DdocU

Hey guys best of luck with the GAMSAT, its a tough exam but nowhere near as tough as the GEM course! Just a heads up, the BOI loan, for UCD anyway, has changed. Instead of taking a 60K loan out you have to take out 4 separate loans of 15k each year which is a nightmare. They are also pretty strict on the guarantor side of things, my first guarantor was turned down and i know a lad who was refused the loan altogether. The loan process also takes several visits to the bank. If anyone has questions about gamsat or first year in UCD feel free to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 pm24

What's everyone's view on a Gamsat score of 56? Safe for this year?

Advertisement