Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAMSAT 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

UL first choice accepted!! aaahhhhhhh that was the worst night's /most dream filled sleep ever :) congrats guys!!!

(Received no text just logged in :))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 GEM2015

Im pretty disappointed to hear that, leaves no hope for round 1 and my 53 then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Shame, it would seem points are gone up. 56 last year for RCSI seems to only be getting people into UL on 1st round as their fourth choice. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chocolate93

It was quite competitive this year! :O

Well done to everyone who got in ^^

Can someone please explain to me how the loan process works? Is it taken out from the bank through a special loan arranged by the college or are you expected to go to the bank just like that? I'm so clueless with regards to this stuff :(

Hope to see you guys in RCSI ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 29 steph0712

I thought tomorrow only. Better get checking now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tennisfan1

Got an offer for UCC. So glad it's finally official now.
    Congrats to all the other people who got their offers today.
    Touch wood, in 2019 we will all be able to call ourselves doctors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

UCD! Woo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 danjbrady

Got UL with 55, so there's hope!
    What did people offered UCD, RCSI get?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lawlesp4

I rang UL the cut off for this year is 54 but unfortunately I rank outside the top 15 so theres no chance ill get a 2nd round offer. If anyone wants to check ring this number 061 202 700, ask about the gamsat cut off, they will transfer you and then ask where you are on the list! Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favour haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Any chance that people who got offers could let us know what scores it was with :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭loopylulu

Got rcsi with 59

• Registered Users Posts: 17 magsyc

:) headed to ul in September, I got 61 so I knew I was in... but theres always that doubt that you screwed up your application !

• Registered Users Posts: 25 RichieRichRich

Got the UCD invite with 62 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eimear_1993

Does anyone know what the cut-off for UCC was this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jobin1

Got offered UCD with a 59 - absolutely delighted!! Btw, if anyone has just missed out, definitely keep going if you really want it. I had a 54 in March14, 57 in Sept14 & a 59 in March15. Would def recommend the UK sitting in Sept15 (even with no study done). At worst, it is very helpful practice in doing the exam. If you get a half decent score in the Sept one, it will completely take the pressure off the Irish exam in March16.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lawlesp4

Hey anyone got any advice for the science section, Im a god damn scientist and its my worst section it keeps bringing my average way down! :/

Anyone know when we get invited for registration with UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Oops_A_Daisy

Hi All! Long time follower here of the boards.ie threads for GAMSAT and GEM.

Congrats to everyone that got offers this morning. I got offered UL today with a 54. I'm assuming from the comments posted today that the UL cut-off must have risen a point to 54*. Counting my lucky stars!

Advice for those who weren't successful this morning...don't give up! Go sit the exam in September....I sat the GAMSAT 3 times while working full-time...it's tough.....but each time you sit the exam you learn from it and get better. If GEM is what you want, keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 VitoEmanuelle

Quick Q: If I defer a place for my 3rd option before the deadline on Aug 6th, can I still accept an offer from my first two choices in round 1 and 2 etc? Does a deferral preclude me from further rounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Med2015

lawlesp4 wrote: »
    Hey anyone got any advice for the science section, Im a god damn scientist and its my worst section it keeps bringing my average way down! :/

Approach it as an apptitude test! Science background or not- its about timing, graphical interpretation.. and gauging what the reoccuring topics are and hoping they come up! Also I got my hand on gradmed notes which I found so beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

Congratulations people on getting accepted, that's another hurdle of many more to come :D. Those that didn't get an offer yet or their preferred choice should be hopeful for other rounds, as things definitely change for one reason or the other and places become available.

If anyone gets their hands on the round zero points, can they post them? :) I can't seem to find them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yannipants

Just called UCD. 58* this year at Round 0.

Congratulations to everyone getting in! I'm grateful to have any acceptances regardless of which choice I got!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mccloskc

GEM2015 wrote: »
    Im pretty disappointed to hear that, leaves no hope for round 1 and my 53 then.

I'm the same 53, on third go. Devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 magsyc

Mccloskc wrote: »

I think last year people got in on 51 in UL :) so theres still hope. One of the girls said someone started late sept that had 50 points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Take 2

Does anyone know what the cut-off for UCC was this year?

Cut off for UCC was 56*.

So far:
    UCD- 58*
    RCSI- 58
    UCC- 56*

No confirmation of UL but looking like 54*. Seems they all went up by a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pickmeplease

Realistically how common are second rounds guys? Just rang UL Im fifth in line and was told there were no second rounds last year. Its a life changing experinece i cant see why many wouldnt take a place - unless there are issues with loans

lawlesp4 wrote: »
    I rang UL the cut off for this year is 54 but unfortunately I rank outside the top 15 so theres no chance ill get a 2nd round offer. If anyone wants to check ring this number 061 202 700, ask about the gamsat cut off, they will transfer you and then ask where you are on the list! Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favour haha

Did they also tell you there was none last year? In top 5 but apparently no one declined

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SarahConnor?

It depends, few years ago there were some people dropping because they didn't get a loan or didn't like PBL in UL. I wish you best of luck!

• Advertisement

It depends, few years ago there were some people dropping because they didn't get a loan or didn't like PBL in UL. I wish you best of luck!

I dont think places are offered from drop outs. It would have to be those who dont accept right now.

Ive loads of friends in UL I hear it is so interesting and very highly recognised - PBL must take getting used to mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gaffer93

Hey guys well done on the offers and for those who are still chasing the dream; if it's what you really want to do don't give up. This is my 4th attempt ( I did the HPAT numerous times) and it is so sweet when the day finally comes.

Does anybody know who to contact for a loan with UCD? Im with BOI so Im going to try them for a loan. Should I contact the UCD BOI branch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SarahConnor?

I dont think places are offered from drop outs. It would have to be those who dont accept right now.

Ive loads of friends in UL I hear it is so interesting and very highly recognised - PBL must take getting used to mind you.

It's not hard and fast rule as far as I know. If they drop very early in the course I'd say UL tries to fill the gaps as each person missing is 60k euro gone. Still, it's just after round 0 and rounds 1 and 2 can be life-changing. If not this year keep trying, medicine is worth it.

gaffer93 wrote: »
    Hey guys well done on the offers and for those who are still chasing the dream; if it's what you really want to do don't give up. This is my 4th attempt ( I did the HPAT numerous times) and it is so sweet when the day finally comes.

Does anybody know who to contact for a loan with UCD? Im with BOI so Im going to try them for a loan. Should I contact the UCD BOI branch?

I rang them this morning. Nothing can be done until UCD send out the Giro. Then you go to the UCD branch with the Giro and your guarantors

I'm sorry to hear that.. That's really tough. Kepp the head up and plough on if your hearts in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Durf

Ulster bank less frequently required guarantors for UL, as i understand. Now that UL has moved to bank with BOI will this change? Has anyone had any experience in this regard or does any know if things will change?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Junoon

Hi all, those who accepted offers could specify how they are going to do with the offer received by post. Should we post that too or just leave it ? I received a text also as a confirmation when I accepted online.

Junoon wrote: »
    Hi all, those who accepted offers could specify how they are going to do with the offer received by post. Should we post that too or just leave it ? I received a text also as a confirmation when I accepted online.

It says on the post offer that we can accept by posting or by accepting online so I think accepting online should be enough.

Does anybody know the fees for this year? Have they gone up since last year?
    Also, does the ~ 15,000 euro include the registration fee and other charges that other undergraduates need to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dublindoctor

Tennisfan1 wrote: »
    Does anybody know the fees for this year? Have they gone up since last year?
    Also, does the ~ 15,000 euro include the registration fee and other charges that other undergraduates need to pay?

that fee covers all the college costs. But you will probably have to pay 250e for vaccinations. If your going to UL this year you also get a free ipad ha!

• Advertisement

Oh thank god. I was worried that it wasn't an all inclusive price and that I was going to be in very big trouble.
    No I'm heading to UCC but I'll be kicking up a fuss if I don't get a "free" ipad as well. For the price we're paying they should be throwing in an Apple watch as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yannipants

Does anybody know how UK students can apply for a loan from BOI UCC?

Round 0 points posted by cao.
    UCC 56*
    UCD 58*
    UL 54*
    RCSI 58*

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dublindoctor

I have friends in the same position and for some reason don't even consider going into the undergraduate course mature route, but if they had done that day one, they would already be more than halfway through the course...I would give it serious consideration just doing the HPAT and interview instead. A girl I worked with did the GAMSAT several times, didn't get it, then applied to TCD, UCD, RCSI, UCC and NUIG for undergrad medicine and got into RCSI on her first attempt. The extra year in college should be irrelevant when considering a career in medicine, and also, undergrad fees are about 8000k i think so it works out about the same as the graduate entry course despite the extra year! Just my opinion though!

UCD won't accept mature
    applications if you qualify for the GEM route. RCSI mature entry fees are exactly the same as GEM fees and there are no special loans for them. RCSI undergrad fees if you already have a degree are 10k per yr. Means going back and doing a HPAT though.

magsyc wrote: »
    I think last year people got in on 51 in UL :) so theres still hope. One of the girls said someone started late sept that had 50 points

Was it a friend who told you that?

It says on the UL website that the cut-off was 53*. Based on this forum and calls people have made to CAO and reading that not a lot of people have rejected offers I think this leaves little to no hope for people with a 53 this year such as myself. It looks like a 54 barely got you in this year to UL.

loopylulu wrote: »
    Round 0 points posted by cao.
    UCC 56*
    UCD 58*
    UL 54*
    RCSI 58*

where did u read that

GEM2015 wrote: »
    where did u read that

It's on the CAO website in the 'media and statistics' section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭j.mcdrmd

Durf wrote: »
    Ulster bank less frequently required guarantors for UL, as i understand. Now that UL has moved to bank with BOI will this change? Has anyone had any experience in this regard or does any know if things will change?

Do you see any basis to support loaning anyone any money here?

Advertisement