Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlton cinema, Dublin

Options
  • 12-08-2014 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the inside of the Carlton cinema is still intact? I think there is a video game thing where the reception/hallway was but what about the rest of the building?
    if this isn't the forum for this MODS you can move/

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Its a bat sanctuary now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Try the Cinema Interiors Forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

It was gutted years ago
    Just a shell now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I'd love to watch a classic horror in an abandoned cinema by myself...would be creepy as fook bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The Master wrote: »
    It was gutted years ago
    Just a shell now

How is the roof on it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

How is the roof on it?

When stripping out the seats and the Movie projection equipment none of the workmen managed to sneak the roof out under his coat
    They were cute enough to leave the walls too so the roof would stay in place

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Its prime real estate on O' Connell St...I'm surprised its laid idle this long (that amusement thing out from only seems to occupy a small part of the building).

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Moved to Dublin City forum, please note their charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Feel so old now, remember queuing up for Jurassic Park back in '93 outside the Cartlon!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Slightly off topic but what used to be in the gap between the Carlton and the former Fingal Co Co offices? It has the fake image of Dr Quirkey's covering it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I think it used to be a hotel called 'The Royal Dublin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yes it was called the Royal Dublin hotel - remember going to a work xmas do there once. That whole section of the street has been a particularly bad symbol of the bust. Lets hope the recovery will focus some decent development on that whole site.

Any cool ideas what they should do with the space?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Maybe a science museum or how about a dedicated Dublin City museum focusing on all stages of Dublin's history from it's founding to present day.

Alternatively, would an Opera House be viable?

ongarboy wrote: »
    Maybe a science museum or how about a dedicated Dublin City museum focusing on all stages of Dublin's history from it's founding to present day.

Interesting...but I think we have enough museums...I wish there was something interactive or innovative in terms of a tourist attraction-build a viewing tower or Dublin Eye type of attraction!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The Dublin central scheme has permission, its a massive open shopping centre along the lines of Victoria square in Belfast. A museum dedicated to the 1916 rising has permission also. All together the site is bound by Henry St, Moore St, Parnell St and O'Connell st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Yes it was called the Royal Dublin hotel - remember going to a work xmas do there once. That whole section of the street has been a particularly bad symbol of the bust. Lets hope the recovery will focus some decent development on that whole site.

That is where the controversial new shopping centre is going. The one that involves the gutting of most of Moore Street

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

It amazes me people are opposed to the gutting of Moore St. The place is a hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I like it. Good place to get meat, fruit, veg, spices, and other asian/oriental things at cheap prices all in the one place.

That is gone now and instead that will have more generic shops selling the same things you get on most of the streets of Dublin at the same prices. Yay. Really can't wait for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

Slightly off topic but what used to be in the gap between the Carlton and the former Fingal Co Co offices? It has the fake image of Dr Quirkey's covering it now.

That space has been vacant for over 20 years,used to be just boarded up.
    cruais wrote: »
    I think it used to be a hotel called 'The Royal Dublin'.

The Royal Dublin was further up beside the AIB.

The Abbey Theatre were offered that space more that 10 years ago but turned it down, also the GPO but that wasn't popular with the public.

No, The Concert hall and Bord Gais theatre have that covered, not a huge interest for Opera in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

http://www.hotels2stay.net/hotelimgs/DUB_BEST-exter-1.jpg

Beside that was a tour operator, aer lingus iirc then the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

reprazant wrote: »
    I like it. Good place to get meat, fruit, veg, spices, and other asian/oriental things at cheap prices all in the one place.

That is gone now and instead that will have more generic shops selling the same things you get on most of the streets of Dublin at the same prices. Yay. Really can't wait for that.

The fruit on moore st is so old that by end of the day, it sprouts legs and runs away. Want decent fruit on Moore st? Head to Lidl, its cheap and actually fresh.
    FXBuckley is the only place to go for Meath (and traditional cuts that are now seen as odd) on the street. I think its staying though.

Lets face it, Moore st is a run down kip. The end of O Connell st is a run down kip as well. By building a new centre, in the same style as the Vic in belfast, it will rejuvenate the streets and their surrounding areas.

Bringing back the victorian fruit market in Dublin will add to the city as well, allowing for the traders that you mention. Also a beautiful setting as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

FXBuckley is the only place to go for Meath

I ssume you mean meat and not the county you could go to ?

:P

what else does Dublin need tourist attraction wise???? something that we dont already have/do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

in fairness! it's been like that for about 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

cson wrote: »
    It amazes me people are opposed to the gutting of Moore St. The place is a hole.
    it's only a hole because it's allowed to be one. All the buildings on Moore St should have a maintenance order on them to force property owners to maintain the buildings to the standard of what should be expected of Georgian buildings. The shop signage is another major problem in Moore St and Parnell St, Council needs to get it's finger out to stop these buildings falling into disrepair and unrepairable state that they're fast heading for.

Advertisement