Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Ham V Spurs.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I thought it was a fantastic result. A win against the odds. We dug in even though there was no way we should have been down to ten.

I'm shocked at people giving Dier's performance stick. He was solid. Did the simple stuff right. The only person in the back three I can say that about.

Kaboul was shocking. Every time the ball went down the channel I was worried. Seriously lacking confidence.

Rose was up to his old tricks, not the player I saw against Schalke. OK going forward, but completely throwing the rule book out the window when defending.

Though I'm not going to hold that performance against anyone. As I said, we dug in and got a result we wouldn't/didn't get last year.

We can only improve. COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Just caught the highlights. Hard to gauge it? It'll take a few games before we start to see some rhythm. Thrilled with the three points, no one looked impressive, most struggled, points on the board, that's what counts.

No complaints about the peno, the sending off was wrong.
    Great save by Lloris from Downing.
    Chuffed to bits by Dier. Seems a genuine guy, here's hoping.
    Kaboul cannot be relied on, nor can Rose & Naughton.
    Lennon, Jesus why?
    We're not a quick side, intricate passing has to be precise.
    Townsend is the only forward player I see with pace, Pochettino will get the best out of him.
    If we don't get a striker in, then goals will be scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Watched the whole game yesterday. I wasn't overly impressed with any of our attacking or defensive play but to be honest all of that went out the window after 30 minutes.

What im massively impressed with was the character of the players. The amount of moaning in here, and the media and WHL last year when we were just throwing goals away when the going got tough. Well the going got tough yesterday and the whole team responded.

It wasn't a team that will finish in the top 8 but it was a London derby away on the opening day of the season under a new manager missing all the world cup participants.

3 points in those circumstances will do very nicely indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Watched the whole game yesterday. I wasn't overly impressed with any of our attacking or defensive play but to be honest all of that went out the window after 30 minutes.

What im massively impressed with was the character of the players. The amount of moaning in here, and the media and WHL last year when we were just throwing goals away when the going got tough. Well the going got tough yesterday and the whole team responded.

It wasn't a team that will finish in the top 8 but it was a London derby away on the opening day of the season under a new manager missing all the world cup participants.

3 points in those circumstances will do very nicely indeed

Well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

mickman wrote: »
    Well said

Exactly, look at how all the teams in the top half last year with established squads struggled. We did well and didn't give up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Fair enough lads but let's forget what a terrible team West Ham are. They'll take many a beating this year and will finish in the bottom 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Fair enough lads but let's forget what a terrible team West Ham are. They'll take many a beating this year and will finish in the bottom 5.

Beat us 3 times last season and they always raise their game for the derbies

mickman wrote: »
    Beat us 3 times last season and they always raise their game for the derbies

More of a reflection on how abysmal we were if you ask me.

I don't want to take away from the result. But I think they will be easy points for most teams for the foreseeable future.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

More of a reflection on how abysmal we were if you ask me.

I don't want to take away from the result. But I think they will be easy points for most teams for the foreseeable future.

Granted many other teams will beat them, but they see beating spurs as a trophy and even poor teams can play out of their skin for one trophy game.

Onwards and upwards hopefully. I hope Ade and/or Soldado knock in a few against the cypriots over the next two Thursdays and are on form going into our match against Liverpool in 2 weeks time. The result/performance in that game will tell us a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

MrKingsley wrote: »

And reflected in Pochettinos interview. The team, the character. His number one aim seems to be getting all players to give everything for the team. To walk over hot coals for each other. It's kind of what we thought we we were getting with AVB but turned out to be a rigid system with square pegs in round holes. Things can only get better, a tough first game fixture to come away with three points from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Advertisement