Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat litter in Dublin city centre?

• 13-08-2014 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello all. My wife and I just moved to Dublin from the United States today. We ran out to look for litter as soon as our cats were returned to us after the flight.

However, no one seems to stock any cat litter near our apartment in city centre at all. (We brought a new disposable litter box with us, but litter was too heavy to bring on checked or carry-on baggage). We tried tesco on Fleet Street, spar on Tara st, and a Supervalu (iirc) near o'connell st bridge.

I tried lining the box/bin with torn bits of newspaper, but the cats didn't go all day, which has me worried as they're not relieving themselves.

Any advice please? (Please pardon any grammar or typos.. Sent from my phone)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

There's a bigger Tesco In the Jervis centre and a supermarket in the basement of Dunnes on Henry Street that should stock it. Failing that there's the Boardwalk pet shop on she quays just across from millienuium bridge but dunnes/Teso would be cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Hello... and welcome!

There's a bigger Tesco store in the basement of the Jervis Shopping Centre which has entrances in both Upper Abbey Street and Henry Street. They will have at least 2 types of cat litter.

Good luck with settling in with your kitties. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

There is a pet shop on Parnell street in the city centre called pet palace , they would have cat litter :)http://www.goldenpages.ie/pet-palace-dublin-D1/2/ there's a phone number on the attached link, they'd be able to give you better directions there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

For convenience sake in future you might want to look online at Zooplus, a lot of us use it for pet supplies and they have a huge range of cat litter, they usually deliver within the week. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I second buying on zooplus in the future - I bulk order on the German (.de) site as I find it cheaper than the .ie site, though the .ie site has a lower purchase amount for free shipping.

If I'm stuck and need to get litter after work, I buy it at pet world on Camden St. They are one of the few places I've found that stock plant based litter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 KittyKat76

If ordering online is an option for you, i would reccomend Petworld. ie They do next day delivery which is handy as they give you a two hour time period that its delivered within, means you dont have to sit in the house all day waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Atlantan

Thanks so much to everyone for all the great suggestions. I found the tesco in Jervis centre and found some decent litter. The cats have taken to it, so all is good. :)

I also found another pet store on Capel street by accident. They were very helpful and had a good (but more expensive) selection of litter. They also had scoopers and litter boxes, which was good as my current one was undersized and only temporary.

Thanks for the online suggestions as well. I've lurked here for a few months before we moved, and I'd seen the suggestions for the zooplus. Thanks for the clarification between the .ie and .de versions.. I'd not seen that before. Ordering in bulk would be helpful, so the German site may save me lots of money.

Kittykat76,
    Thanks for the petworld recommendation... My wife and I are in temporary housing until we find our own apartment, so ordering from them would be perfect! (The mailbox for our apartment doesn't lock, but we could accept deliveries if we were home.)

Thanks again for all the help!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If it's of any use, my cats also like wooden pellets as litter (you can probably find big bags of them in fuel stores)- they're easier to dispose than the sandy type, they are biodegradable, and they absorb the smells pretty well. And they're pretty cheap, in comparison. Give them a try! :)

Also, in case of emergency, I used potting soil before, one time when I rescued a kitten from the road. That worked pretty well too.

Otherwise, Lidl also stocks old fashioned cat litter, it's at the end of Moore street, near Parnell Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I find the Aldi cat litter brilliant, its very reasonable and in comparison to others Ive used holds the odour the best. On saying that Ive never bought expensive cat litters, I prefer to just clean it out quick.

Advertisement