Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions you think are too stupid to ask!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kingup

I'm going to replacing the fan belt on my car soon and plan on changing the water pump on it as well. It's a 2004 Ford Focus 1.8 tdci estate. Looking at the Haynes manual for it, it mentions the water pump on both the timing belt and the fan belt. Can anyone tell me which one it's actually on?

water pump is part of your timing belt kit.
    theres no water pump on your fan belt unless something to do with the coolant system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Failing to start and think it may be a fuel delivery problem, its a 2400 injection standards points ignition, have drained the tank today, just a tiny amount of sediment showing. I will be taking off the fuel pump next, are these pumps serviceable or is it a case of chuck it away and buy a new one. The budget is tight and a new one from GSF is over €120. I am also facing the job of having it re piped as there is corrosion on the existing pipe run, the problem there is that these pipes are flared differently to the standard brake pipe, the flared section is back about 4mm from the end to allow a small sleeve to fit onto it to form the seal. The joys of trying to get an oldie back on the road:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

mikehn wrote:
    Failing to start and think it may be a fuel delivery problem, its a 2400 injection standards points ignition, have drained the tank today, just a tiny amount of sediment showing. I will be taking off the fuel pump next, are these pumps serviceable or is it a case of chuck it away and buy a new one. The budget is tight and a new one from GSF is over €120. I am also facing the job of having it re piped as there is corrosion on the existing pipe run, the problem there is that these pipes are flared differently to the standard brake pipe, the flared section is back about 4mm from the end to allow a small sleeve to fit onto it to form the seal. The joys of trying to get an oldie back on the road

what is it? Cant say if anything is serviceable or not until we know what car it is.
    starting from the top, is there power going to the pump when the ignition is on? the pump should make a humming noise when active.
    Is there fuel getting to the inlet manifold? disconnect feed pipe and turn over the engine, fuel should come out if the pump is working.
    i presume you have ruled out ignition problems if your going down this road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

The pump is working and delivering fuel to the injector rail, pressure to my inexperienced eye seems to be low. Pump is located forward of rear wheels, not very accessible but when I had a look it certainly could be the original as it was well crusted over. The car had been run from time to time prior to it landing with me last week, but had failed to start when I collected it. I have a spark at the plugs, I removed the plugs and squirted a little petrol into each cylinder. replaced plugs and cranked the engine. I reckon that each cylinder fired. I think I will go ahead and replace the pump next week. I am toying with the idea of using the stuff in this link ]http://www.rust.co.uk/0002-slosh-ethanol-resistant-petrol-tank-seal/p405062/ Any one have any opinions on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

The 4x4 in my Frontera wont switch on.

My car mechanic said it is the unit that switches from two wheel drive to four wheel drive. If I got one he'd fit it. However I have no idea what this unit looks like or might cost, or where I might get one.

I'm working on second hand info here so don't have specific details.

Any idea what this is called and I can do some further searches?

Thanks, Hab-cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

It depends on whether your Frontera has a manual transfer box - ie a second lever to engage 4 wheel drive, or a switch on the dash to do it. If it's the switch, then it's probably the selector, an actuator that changes the transfer box. If it's manual, then it could be the box itself.

That's your first port of call anyway. Electronic selectors/actuators can get sticky if they're not used much.. Same as diff locks

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

Hi TrailerBob, thanks for the reply.

There is a switch on the dash.
    Is this what I'm looking for - assuming it's an electronic selector?

Sorry boards.ie wont let me post links because I'm a new user. ( I must be here 10 years)
    If you search the following term on ebay UK

Frontera B series front axle actuator, front axle 4x4 actuator, 1998-2004

I know the postage from the UK will be crippling, but at least I'll know what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Hi TrailerBob, thanks for the reply.

There is a switch on the dash.
    Is this what I'm looking for - assuming it's an electronic selector?

Sorry boards.ie wont let me post links because I'm a new user. ( I must be here 10 years)
    If you search the following term on ebay UK

Frontera B series front axle actuator, front axle 4x4 actuator, 1998-2004

I know the postage from the UK will be crippling, but at least I'll know what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

Parcel Motel FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

That looks like the part habanero, but I'd check the rest of the system before jumping in, the switch could be faulty, a fuse could be gone, cables to the actuator could be corroded.... It might be a cheap fix before buying an actuator itself...

Happy hunting

Advertisement