Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitted kitchen

Options
  • 13-08-2014 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

We had an extension to our existing kitchen fitted yesterday by a local kitchen company. I went out and left them to it, when I returned yesterday evening they were gone and I was very disappointed, I had the entire work too replaced so that the new section would ru. Smoothly into the old but the replacement work top has been joined in two places by awful brass strips, which are not flush, there's a gap of a mm or 2 between them, which would be a nightmare with crumbs etc in the kitchen. theses sections are also have blunt straight edges, where the work top is curved. The end of the work top has been cut off with a brass strip nailed across it, which looks cheap and nasty from every angle. Also the work top is not cut flush to the wall there is a gap big enough to fit my finger between it and the wall, so even when the tiler is finished he's going to have to run some kind of thick seal to fill the gap.
    The work top is a laminate walnut, and I noticed there are 2 very fine scratches on it. The rest of the kitchen is ok With just a couple of minor snags, which I'm sure they can easily fix. but to be honest we're paying about 4k for an extra few presses (going from an Lshape to a ushape) and the new work top. I tried calling them yesterday before 6 but couldn't get through so I'll be calling them this morning, realistically what are my options, am I within my rights to ask them to replace the work top with a smooth end piece so that there is no need for an ugly strip at the end. I assume changing the other brass strips at the joining is straight forward enough? I really appreciate any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Who did you order it from? If you are not happy and the workmanship is clearly shoddy, they should come back and fix their errors.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OP, I've deleted your other threads. Please don't start the same thread in multiple forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

You're a bit premature looking for advice other than to ask them to look at it and remedy anything your not happy with. What level of detail do the drawings and written contract go into or was this more of a 'back of a fag packet' enterprise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

chances are they outsourced the fitting - they should send someone down to have a look at the work and then organise to have it corrected.

But give them a chance before looking for alternative action. You'll find most reputable companies will ensure job is up to spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Did you pay the full amount in advance?
    If not withhold payment until problems rectified.
    Did you specify how the work top extension should be joined?To join an extension without strips would require the existing work top be removed and routed. The extension would be routed to match. This is more difficult and time consuming than using joining strips.Even still a good fitter will make a reasonably acceptable joint using joining strips.
    The work appears to be shoddy. No excuse for gaps between wall and work top
    Get the fitters back or better stil ask for alternative fitters.
    I would never go out and leave strangers working in my home. I would always ensure I was satisfied before they left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭80sbaby

They came back and rectified all the issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

80sbaby wrote: »

See? It's good to talk! Always give a business a chance before panic or consternation sets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

80sbaby wrote: »

If you have time, could you elaborate on what was said... just for people to know how to go about this sort of thing if it happens them. I'm curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Do you still have the brass strips?

Advertisement