Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermostats in a house

Options
  • 13-08-2014 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭

I'm re-doing the entire heating system in my house.

The plumbing work is near completion.

I'm looking to have two thermostats to control temperature (the basic round dial ones).

Whats the ideal location for them?

Are there rules about where they should go? (ie; certain height, not near a radiator, etc)?

It's a 2-zone heating system (motorised valves located near the boiler). I'll likely have one stat upstairs and one down stairs. All I need for this is a brown-brown twin and earth cable ran to the boiler from the stat location?

630x630_1306341728_room-thermostat.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

It depends on your stats, some of them need a neutral as well, better off running one just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Most room stats need a neutral for the accelerator.
    Most motorised valves need a signal to open and a signal to close.
    Plus a live and an earth.

So a five core NYMJ is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Also consider a third zone for hot water .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Consider a wireless stat. Saves a lot of wiring and you can move it around to find the optimum position before fixing to the wall.
    As far as I can recall stats should not be placed near doors, windows or radiators.I would mount it at the same height as light switches.
    Some professionals here wil give more advice I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

The one pictured above, would 3 cores be fine for that? 3x1.5?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

2011 wrote: »
    Yes.

Nice one, I'll run a brown-brown twin & earth cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

A twin brown and earth will work to get the switching, the indicator light wont work though. The one in your pic is like a type that is. Alot of these stats where the set point is also an indicator light. The indicator is designed (when connected properly) to show that there is a demand for CH and that the stat is closed.
    For this reason i would use a multi core nymj as previously said also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Nice one, I'll run a brown-brown twin & earth cable.

Perfect.
    A twin brown and earth will work to get the switching, the indicator light wont work though.

I am open to correction, but the stat shown does not appear to have an indication light.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

it looks like an indicator

any job i worked on you ran a 5-core,

although a 2-core will do some model of stats, as said

• Advertisement

Personally I like these units from Sunvic. They display the present room temperature and have a night setback facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Personally I like these units from Sunvic. They display the present room temperature and have a night setback facility.

Interesting blurb on TPI and how it can improve boiler efficiency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I am open to correction, but the stat shown does not appear to have an indication light.

Open to correction also, i did say that the one in the pic is like a type that is.
    General consciousness is use a multi core to be able to use roomstats with anticipators which are key in energy saving and more accurate temperature control of the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

The thermostat posted is Myson & requires a neutral for the anticipator. Without this, there will be a recovery inaccuracy of equivalent to about 6C.
    A minimum of live in, live out, neutral & earth, although many stats only have parked earths.
    Any thermostat without a neutral is only a switch, nothing more than a cylinder stat & a waste of time for room temperature control.
    Correction: unless it is battery operated also to power it's internal PCB, of course. So, if you only have twin brown & earth installed, fit a battery operated with 230v switching circuit thermostat.

Thermostat location is critical. For radiator systems, they should be at a height of 1.5m from floor level. A minimum of >300 from corners. Not close to radiators or where they can be affected by radiant heat, i.e. sunlight through a window, etc. They work best from convected heat.

It is also critical NOT to have a TRV (Thermostatic Radiator Valve) on the radiator within the same room as the room thermostat.

A proper S, Y or W plan is key to a good heating system control with true boiler interlock.

Thanks for the clarification Shane.
    The electronic battery type also have the advantage of displaying the room temperature which his a feature that I like. This allows the end user to see how well the control of the heating system is working.

Advertisement