Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remaking PS1 Games for PS4/X-Box 1

Options
  • 13-08-2014 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

This is to discuss the pro's and cons of remaking such classic PS1 games as Final Fantasy 7 or Metal Gear Solid for the newer consoles of today.

You can recommened games thjat should me remade from any console

Normal fourm, rules apply.

Enjoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

FF7 would do remarkably well if it were to be remade, countless players revere the game from their nostalgic days... even though FF6 was far better, but most were introduced to FF series through FF7 from the "new" Playstation of the day ;)

RE1 did pretty well for the Gamecube.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,797 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Completely pointless just remaking games in my opinion. There's nothing stopping you playing them on the ps1.

What I'd rather see are sequels to some ps1 games that never materialized.

A sequel to Syndicate Wars or Future Cop LAPD for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Metal Gear Solid shouldn't be touched. The scale and gameplay wouldn't suit being remade.

I don't really mind the likes of RE1 being remade. But some games are products of their time. The gameplay of MGS1 (not being able to shoot in first-person, no tranq weapons, not being able to shoot while moving) would either be frustrating to play given how standard these elements are, or as with The Twin Snakes these features would be brought in thereby making the game too easy. Add to that everyone knows the best bits of the game. Plus, I'd hate for Kojima to get his hands on a remake and add in a bunch of unnecessary sh*t or retcon stuff.

Some of these games should only be remade if they can adhere to the original, but also bring something fresh or new to it to make it worth remaking.

Well I certainly wasn't aware of it...

But Final Fantasy 7 has been confirmed for a remake back in July :)

I just hope it's not a confusion thinking that FF7 G-Bike arcade game to be that 'remake'... >_<;

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JBRowan

The FF7 game from July is FF7 G-Bike

• Advertisement

JBRowan wrote: »
    The FF7 game from July is FF7 G-Bike

Yeah, figured as much... bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Its not really a case of a re-release or what have you these days, very few if any of the original assets from say, Final Fantasy VII - IX could be used in a new game, same with metal gear solid. You'd probably have to rebuild it from the ground up, new controls, new engine, new voice acting, new everything. At which point (to me) it aint a remake, its a new game.

I would like to see Super Mario World (SNES) Remade for 3DS or another Nintendo Platform

But I agree Some remakes would have to be ground up affairs and it may turn into a completely different game

Master of the Universe

Remake Super Mario World? Sacrilege! :pac:

That game is absolutely perfect as is. The original sprite art is still gorgeous.

I would however like to see M2 port it to the 3DS like they have with the Sega titles recently. The effort and attention to detail they put into them was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Nothing should be remade.

Would just be disappointing.

Edit: I might as well divulge a little.

Take FFVII; Replacing the great nostalgic soundtrack with rock garbage covers, replacing voices you've imagined with garbage American voice overs. Replacing the combat system with garbage DMC mechanics. /rant :pac:

Classics are classics for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,226 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Depends on the game, I think the likes of the TLOU and Tomb Raider (reboot) are redundant as the step up isn't really that big but a game from ten years ago is fair enough.

Tbh I think it's something where consoles need to get with the times a bit though, if I own a game digitally on my 360 I don't see why I should have to buy it again to play it on the One. Backwards compatibility should be an industry standard at this stage at least in terms of digital copies if not physical.

I agree thast backwards capabilities should be standard

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm not buying FF7 again. Had it on the PS1, PS3 and Vita....enough already.

what games would you re buy if it was rermade

I have to imagine, in the 9 years since the FF VII PS3 tech demo appeared at E3, square have discussed the idea of a remake, and they decided either its not worth it, from a financial standpoint or making a good game, or they're saving it for the 20th anniversary in 2017.

20th anniversary sounds like a good one.

Master of the Universe

cloud493 wrote: »
    or they're saving it for the 20th anniversary in 2017.

Holy **** that makes me feel like an old bastard :(

o1s1n wrote: »
    Holy **** that makes me feel like an old bastard :(

Let me make you feel older I was 6/7 when FF7 first came out

I'm struggling to comprehend it was all those years ago, 15 years in fact, I sat and played toy story 2 on my PS1. Its mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I'm struggling to comprehend it was all those years ago, 15 years in fact, I sat and played toy story 2 on my PS1. Its mad.

If you think that's bad, try dealing with firing up Sonic on the Megadrive for the first time being 22 years ago! :eek:

The same console is still going strong today too, although rather than just having Sonic I now have about 200 games for it. My 8 year old self would be proud! :D

Remake a possiblity nice one

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm less of a fan of "remake" and more of a fan of "revisit" - let me tell you why...

I'd find it fascinating, for example, to see other perspectives of well established stories. Opposing Force and Blue Shift for Half-Life were good examples of the sort of thing I mean - tangential and in some cases parallel to a story that's already been told.

Another obvious starting point would be to play the bad guy.

I think it's the perfect way to revisit old games (if you're so stuck for ideas and unwilling to take a risk on new IP), you get the best of both worlds really. You can cash in on the nostalgia by revisiting the world and referencing the actions of the original character(s) and you get to show off a new side to a world people thought they knew and loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm less of a fan of "remake" and more of a fan of "revisit" - let me tell you why...

I'd find it fascinating, for example, to see other perspectives of well established stories. Opposing Force and Blue Shift for Half-Life were good examples of the sort of thing I mean - tangential and in some cases parallel to a story that's already been told.

Another obvious starting point would be to play the bad guy.

I think it's the perfect way to revisit old games (if you're so stuck for ideas and unwilling to take a risk on new IP), you get the best of both worlds really. You can cash in on the nostalgia by revisiting the world and referencing the actions of the original character(s) and you get to show off a new side to a world people thought they knew and loved.

I know what you mean. I'd love a Metal Gear Solid 2 revisit but playing as Snake. See his side of the story

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I have to imagine, in the 9 years since the FF VII PS3 tech demo appeared at E3, square have discussed the idea of a remake, and they decided either its not worth it, from a financial standpoint or making a good game, or they're saving it for the 20th anniversary in 2017.

If Square Enix thought a remake would be profitable then we'd have one, especially when you consider the reaction to that silly tech demo. It's too basic a game to do well in today's market without some massive changes which will infuriate the very vocal nostalgic minority, ie the only people who'd buy it.
    This is the company behind Theatrhythym Final Fantasy we're talking about here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

There's a fine line between remaking a game and remastering a game. Metal Gear Solid doesn't need it. I played it back in Janurary, it's great as it is. All it really needs is a re-release on 8th-gen consoles, maybe touch up the graphics a bit, if even that. Something like Metal Gear 1 & 2 I think are prime for remakes though. They were far more limited by the technology of the time.

In other news, games i'd like to see released on modern console, be they remakes or just HD remasterings are the Panzer Dragoon series. (they might even be great with the occulus rift/ project morpheus too)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The only real reason to remake a game in my opinion is if you believe you can substantially enhance the original experience. As has been said, MGS still plays perfectly fine. However, Resident Evil, a game which relies heavily on graphics improved immeasurably with the Gamecube remake.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I always thought a true playable full blown RPG sequel to FFVII after Dirge of Cerberus would come. It never did. It would be fascinating prospect for next gen consoles. Instead of remake, continue in a big budget way and they can avoid some of the irk of the monumental tasks recreating world maps, locations that will never be able to live up to the original.

The original is so known now and almost everybody has played in some form that, the penetration so high, it's played out the hell, I could see a sequel in 2017, being marketed as " After 20 years, The true sequel to one of the greatest games of all time".

Put the top men at Square on it, Hiroyuki Ito is probably the most talented man at the company and they have him scribbling on windows at the moment.

The 500 years later moment with the world
    seemingly barren of tech and humans having gone back to the forest, makes me think the Lifestream overcompensated had it's revenge in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The only real reason to remake a game in my opinion is if you believe you can substantially enhance the original experience. As has been said, MGS still plays perfectly fine. However, Resident Evil, a game which relies heavily on graphics improved immeasurably with the Gamecube remake.

iv'e never played the gamecube RE1, but does it still have the tank controls of the original game? that's something i'd like to see in remakes, complete overhaul of outdated control schemes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I would spend all my monies if they done a remake of Rollcage. That game is crying out for a re-release on the new consoles. I remember putting countless hours into it, and the soundtrack was just as important - something they probably would get wrong these days. I can't believe it hasn't been remade already!

Advertisement