Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remaking PS1 Games for PS4/X-Box 1

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I would spend all my monies if they done a remake of Rollcage. That game is crying out for a re-release on the new consoles. I remember putting countless hours into it, and the soundtrack was just as important - something they probably would get wrong these days. I can't believe it hasn't been remade already!

I was thinking about this game recently when wishing they would do an arcade re-release of Rock and Roll Racing (SNES)
    Some laugh of a game, overtaken by the wipeout series I believe.
    This and F-Zero need to happen. Futuristic gun/battle racing non-cart games FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As a fan of FFVII, I've played it so many times that playing it again - albeit with current generation graphics - doesn't really appeal anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Al though not a remake, I hope to god we get a game as silky smooth again as another Wipeout. I can't believe Sony Liverpool went under, it was madness to sell a game as complete as Wipeout HD/Fury for only 15 euro, I'd have paid a retail 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I can see the pros and cons of it. It's a good move if you're trying to welcome a younger generation of gamers who missed out on the likes RE1 or MGS1 and the like.

On the other hand I've had enough of the 'HD remake' lark. I'd rather time was spent on brand new IP's.

With Xbox One and PS4 in their infancy I feel remakes/reboots/remasters will be prominent for quite some time.
    The Tomb Raider definitive edition strikes me as an odd choice to do but on the flip side, TLOU (which I haven't played yet) seems like a perfect choice given the game came out when people were still on the fence about getting a PS4 or not.

The news of TLOU remake for PS4 is a smart move for console bundle sales for gamers who didn't take the plunge when it came out on PS3.

It's a good argument of which I'm leaning on the 'against' side with a few exceptions. (TLOU and Abe's Odyssey).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Cormac... wrote: »
    I was thinking about this game recently when wishing they would do an arcade re-release of Rock and Roll Racing (SNES)
    Some laugh of a game, overtaken by the wipeout series I believe.
    This and F-Zero need to happen. Futuristic gun/battle racing non-cart games FTW

Rock N' Roll Racing was somewhat remade for PC on steam, originally under the same name and then as Motor Rock. I think it was taken down after a while, possibly copyright infringement. Looked quite faithful to the original:

http://yardteam.org/mr/eng/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

iv'e never played the gamecube RE1, but does it still have the tank controls of the original game? that's something i'd like to see in remakes, complete overhaul of outdated control schemes

It does. Chris and Jill are just as awkward to control as ever before and just as inaccurate!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

bugs wrote: »
    Rock N' Roll Racing was somewhat remade for PC on steam, originally under the same name and then as Motor Rock. I think it was taken down after a while, possibly copyright infringement. Looked quite faithful to the original:

http://yardteam.org/mr/eng/

This is depressing

I'd happily give EA €50 to let me play this even if had to run it on Origin and boot-strap U-play (for some reason) and pay €2.50 per car and pay a server sub of €5 per month..... (but imagine..... 4 player local co-op on a console)

Thats how much I want this

*bends over barrel, sock in mouth*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

iv'e never played the gamecube RE1, but does it still have the tank controls of the original game? that's something i'd like to see in remakes, complete overhaul of outdated control schemes

Tank controls are what make the game what it is. Sometimes limitations in control schemes are better. Stuff like Castlevania and Ghouls n'Ghosts are classics because you pause when you attack and have to commit to jumps, you can't control in mid air. Resident Evil is from the same school of thought. The game is built around the use of tank controls, the game would be much worse with more standard controls.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Tank controls are what make the game what it is. Sometimes limitations in control schemes are better. Stuff like Castlevania and Ghouls n'Ghosts are classics because you pause when you attack and have to commit to jumps, you can't control in mid air. Resident Evil is from the same school of thought. The game is built around the use of tank controls, the game would be much worse with more standard controls.

This will never happen, they'll probably overdo it.
    Simple 3rd person, slow moving controls would be enough.
    But no sought there'll be wall-straddling, crate-vaulting, snapping-to-cover, sprint-bar-draining, sideways barrel rolling galore

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Much as I love Resi, it is a tad annoying controlling elite operatives who are unable to aim at the zombies' specific bodyparts. I suppose the game would be too easy then.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

This is one my favourite fan-made remake trailers/intros ever, very clever use and colour toning of FFVII Compilation material, reorchestration of the Midi sountrack. Looks like the real deal too.

Basically retells the story of the original, the maker GETS the spirit/esscense of the original game
    Incredible, especially 3:06

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Much as I love Resi, it is a tad annoying controlling elite operatives who are unable to aim at the zombies' specific bodyparts. I suppose the game would be too easy then.

Well the game was from Shinji Mikami. He was tutored by the guy that made Ghouls n'Ghosts and is pure mechanics come first game design. As long as the game is good he doesn't really care if it's realistic.

Advertisement