Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on a new system

Options
  • 13-08-2014 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I’m new to the whole area of home security and hoping for some advice.
    I need to organise a home alarm system for a woman living on her own in a large bungalow in a rural area.

What are the most straightforward options that could provide some peace of mind but won’t break the bank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Limpar wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I’m new to the whole area of home security and hoping for some advice.
    I need to organise a home alarm system for a woman living on her own in a large bungalow in a rural area.

What are the most straightforward options that could provide some peace of mind but won’t break the bank?

Is her premises wired for an alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Limpar

Yes, the house is fairly new and was wired for an alarm when it was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Yes, the house is fairly new and was wired for an alarm when it was built.

Were all the windows and external doors wired or is there an alarm cable in the corner of each room?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Limpar

There's an alarm cable in the corner of each room.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Her premises has being wired for a trap pack. This type of system just offers a false sense of security. I would advise installing a hybrid system using any cables for doors plus two PIRs as back up. Then install wire free devices on the perimeter windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

That is a pity, the house is wired for beams which is a compromise. It would have been better if the perimeter was wired.
    This will restrict the occupiers movement within the house while the system is switched on at night and if the worse thing happens then the intruders will not be detected until they are actually inside the house.

My advice to you is to get at least 3 written quotations from PSA licenced installers in your own area.

Advertisement