Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixing things like a manly man, manly glow everywhere

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Back door wasn't locking as the handle was going in circles, took it apart, found the problem and proceeded to macgyver a fix by using a small screwdriver and tap hammer to slowly remove the broken screw and then using a plug, I lined it up and screwed another screw into it (had to use the plug as the broken screw had bore away the hole). Working perfectly now :-)

Door on the VW passat wasn't opening and checked online you have to open from both sides and bang it closed until the lock realigns, looked very knowledgeable especially when the missus friend had the same problem and I had to be called to the rescue.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

That's some mighty points. I'm currently in the midst of getting files off an old laptop. No wireless, USB doesn't work (Old '98 OS), floppy drive doesn't work, CD drive doesn't burn and Ethernet cable is an old variety no one seems to have. Lots of pictures that need removing.

Just remove the hard drive & plug it into a caddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

Donal!!!

Nah, it's Handy Manny. Or Bob The Builder, I can't decide which. Fixing stuff around the house usually gets me a ride as the Mrs gets frisky😄 OP, did ye bury the baldy fella after all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Done everything posted in the thread thus far and more. Amazed more people don't google problems and fix themselves if they can. Before the advent of the internet I could understand it. Before the advent of youtube video instructionals I could still understand it. Not everyone can follow written instructions without giving up in frustration. With Youtube so pervasive now chances are no matter what problem you have, someone else has too and recorded a video showing you how to fix it.

No point in listing all my man pride DIY moments but the one that saved me the most money was the electric windows in my Audi. The fcukers used ungalvanised steel for the winder cables that rusted and frayed and failed at about the 5 year mark outside of warranty. Despite thousands of owners of this particular model all suffering failed electric windows in the down position at the 4-6 year mark, Audi refused to acknowledge an issue or offer out of warranty free replacement. Not only that, but all that was required was a new galvanised steel cable but Audi would only replace the entire electric window mechanism even though only a small part of it actually needed replacing. To top it all off, the replacement full mechanisms where the same as the fcuking faulty ones with ungalvanised cables so they'll fail again in another 4-6 years.

Passenger side failed first on mine and I was lucky to be able to pull the window up till I could fix it. Others were not so lucky. My drivers side was making the same frayed cable noises so I knew it was also on the way out. Audi Ireland wanted €450 per fcuking side!!! Bill composed of about €150 for an entire replacement mechanism that didn't need to be replaced and about €300 labour. Was able to buy a pair of new galvanised steel cables designed by a parts company specifically for this fix on this model for €90. Downloaded a guide on how to remove door cards and replace cables. Took 2 hours to do both sides. Saved €810.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Nearly knocked out by the waft of testosterone coming off this thread. Luckily I was able to slam the laptop shut just in time.

Excellent, men, excellent! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Replaced the immersion, lowered the cut off temperature on it and put a timer switch on it, SO IT CAN NEVER BE LEFT ON AGAINNNNN

/Thread......

:eek: That is genius ... share your knowledge oh great manly one ... this should be mandatory for every house in Ireland*

* ... and maybe Des Bishop would never do that routine again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Repair other peoples broken stuff for a living - nothing in my own house works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Dumping stuff in a skip with a wheelbarrow,manly manly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

What 3 words does a woman most like to hear?
    No its not I love you
    Its I'LL FIX THAT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

kylith wrote: »
    I recently replaced the latch on my dishwasher.

I also have a bit of wood that is used specifically to stir paint.

You're now officially your Dad. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Duff wrote: »
    Some things that make me feel manly..

Pneumatic drilling while smoking a fag? Superb.

This + 100!

Always have a fag in the mouth whilst doing manly or dangerous work.

Eshew all nancy stuff like safety goggles, protective gloves & the like.

A ciggie will automatically protect you in all manly/dangerous situations including War.

God! I miss smoking so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Duff wrote: »
    I'm away to cut some wood with a belt knife.

Let me know when you go back to the saw. I modify them as a hobby, and I work with them back in the States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyxorZEKTNA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I sometimes grunt when I get out of a chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭maniac2003

kowloon wrote: »
    I sometimes grunt when I get out of a chair.

I grunt when making a chair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I can tile a floor and build a trailer.....does that count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

herisson wrote: »
    I can tile a floor and build a trailer.....does that count?

Only if you conduct these activities using no safety equipment whatsoever, save for a lit cigarette between your lips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

When I was 14 (long long time ago) I got a zoom lens for my camera for Christmas. I had left my camera in school over the holidays, so in boredom I took my jewellers screwdriver to it just to see what was inside. As I pulled the casing off it there was a 'pyong' noise and several springs and other bits flew everywhere.

I spent the holidays rebuilding the lens through trial and error. No internet, no manual or experience. It took weeks but I finally figured it out.

I barely had any hair on my balls, but fcuk me, I felt manly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Packrat

I spent 20 years of my life building/fixing stuff for people and like Tail Docker, I'm now so sick of it I couldn't be bothered my hole doing any more unless it's a project I'M interested in.
    Maybe when I'm back in my own house next year that'll change again, but for now, the extractor fan, the washing machine and the fridge which all half-work in my rented apt can fcuk right off.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

The amount of electronic devices I've fixed with rolled up pieces of tinfoil is ridiculous; super glue too, that ****er fixes everything (not cuts, bad idea to try and seal a cut with it, don't do that...).

The amount of electronic devices I've fixed with rolled up pieces of tinfoil is ridiculous; super glue too, that ****er fixes everything (not cuts, bad idea to try and seal a cut with it, don't do that...).

But but but.... thats all I've ever tound it good for, and that's what it was designed for originally - No?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Packrat wrote: »
    But but but.... thats all I've ever tound it good for, and that's what it was designed for originally - No?
    Really?! Could be, honestly the times I tried it, I wound up picking at it excessively minutes later and tearing off a ton of skin.

Super glue's great, half of the place at home is held together with it and my mam's never even noticed :D

QUOTE=takamichinoku;91716321]Really?! Could be, honestly the times I tried it, I wound up picking at it excessively minutes later and tearing off a ton of skin.

Super glue's great, half of the place at home is held together with it and my mam's never even noticed :D[/QUOTE]

Vietnam: Scroll down to 'uses' cant post the link but its 'cyanoacrylate' in Wikipedia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Another recent one of mine was the Washing machine that wouldn't drain. By googling I learnt it was likely a failed drain/filter impeller mechanism. The water from the drum drains via a tube into a T section of pipe. At one end is a twist off cap with O-Ring seal. This is where your detritus and coins end up and every now and again you twist off the cap and remove aforementioned detritus and coins. On the other end of the T is a small motor and impeller to pump the waste water to the drain pipe. One too many Bra under-wires ended up fouling the impeller. First few times the washing machine wouldn't empty until I removed the Bra wire and freed the impeller. Eventually the motor burnt out though. I knew it was time for a replacement at that point. Googled washing machine model number and within minutes had a new one ordered which arrived 2 days later and was fitted in about 30 minutes. Machine good as new.

The thing to remember is that most modern appliances are built at 'developing world' wage rates overseas but must be repaired at first world wage rates here. Thats why it can be so un-economical nowadays to Pay to repair rather than replace. EG. €50 for part, €150 for labour to fix a 4 year old €300 washing machine doesn't necessarily make sense. However, if one can order the €50 part oneself online and fit it oneself, then the €50 repair to the 4 year old €300 washing machine makes much more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Over the last couple of months our gas cooker has been getting progressively worse. Using a cast iron pan or a wok was a waste of time and gas. We were hoping and nearly taking up praying that it was dodgy cylinder. Anyway we got a new cylinder and stuck it on. Still the same. Looks like we're gonna need a new cooker.

A while later I got a brainwave and took the regulator off the BBQ and tried it. It started up with a big WHOOSH and nearly burnt the beard off me.

Happy days and a happy night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

So I had to clear out some building supplies and sift out the scrap metal for myself at a house that is being renovated. While removing some tin roof sheeting, I sheared my leg just above my rigger boot. No problem, I get a lump of cable and tie up my leg.

The thick cabling was no problem, but some scrap was to big to fit into the back of my lowered black Mercedes, so I went back home to hotwire the tractor and bring the RWD separate chassis van, which houses the consaw.

Using the tractor to bulldoze the mess was needed to access 2 engines and a cement mixer. After an hours work, I packed the van full of iron and metal, till the doors wouldn't close. Some bits of cast metal were so big I smashed them off the ground to sizeable chunks. Others I hacked up with the consaw. On weighing the van, it wasn't quite at the ton, so I have to pack a few engines in to send it over the ton.

Arms cut, leg cut badly, writing this as I drink my straight rum

Manly man today, perhaps? Or unmentionable community member.... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

You tube has made mechanics, electricians, plumbers, home appliance engineers, farmers, computer technicians etc out of ordinary people.
    The only problem is a little knowledge is dangerous.

I assembled flat-pack furniture last week. A minimal number of screws were left over.

Honorary manly glow for me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Candie wrote: »
    I assembled flat-pack furniture last week. A minimal number of screws were left over.

Nothing worse than too many screws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Car made a sputtery noise, and stopped. Googled dat sh1t. Got me some 'petrol', and poured it into this hole thing at the back of the car. Found it hidden under a secret door. Back in the car, go through that start up sequence and, hey presto, car is moving again. I am DA MAN!!

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Sockets in sitting room went in the house here in Australia. Went to flip the trip switch and found these oldy timey fuses instead where you actually have fuse wire that you have to cut to size and screw in. Felt a bit like Macguyver fixing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I have a selection of offcuts of wood in various types and sizes strewn about the house and shed that i will never use and never throw out, how's that for manly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Centralvent

Candie wrote: »

You're supposed to do that yourself, not sure that one counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Just updated a 2006 mac mini core solo with a Core2duo, 4gb ram and 128gb ssd for the mother in law. Feeling well pleased with myself! :D

Flying it is now!

Not bad for a (hybrid) 8 year old machine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Sockets in sitting room went in the house here in Australia. Went to flip the trip switch and found these oldy timey fuses instead where you actually have fuse wire that you have to cut to size and screw in. Felt a bit like Macguyver fixing that.

Had those in a flat in London once. Some of the antiquated wiring in the "empire" is impressively shit! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

This thread is fast becoming my favorite ..... kinda for the tips, but mostly for the laughs.

You're supposed to do that yourself, not sure that one counts.

There is nothing manlier than assembling flat-pack furniture without reading the instructions, and doubly so if you're actually a lady, thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Household repairs, servicing/repairing the cars, gardening (of the pickaxe-and-wheelbarrow variety, as well as building plant boxes and so forth) is all well and fine, but I have discovered that what pleases me most of all is making my own brackets, clips and oddments for all-and-sundry out of the finest billet aluminium from the local metal-merchants. With the help of a hacksaw, a mini angle-grinder and some rather decent carbide drill-bits and a drop of 10W-40 engine oil in lieu of cutting fluid, I now have everything from the old garden-bench to the back-gate to the funny-looking-Spanish-thing-on-the-garden-wall decked out with bespoke, hand-crafted alloy bling and stainless fasteners worthy of HRCs finest. Ugh-ugh-UUUUUUGGGGHHHHH!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

akura wrote: »
    I changed the brake pads on the car yesterday and smashed my knuckles on the ground but it didn't stop me because I'm a Man. Job done knuckles covered in a thick bloody brake dust mess.

This you?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

There's a strange box in the kitchen than washes your clothes for you when you play with its knob.
    I'm off for dinner now. I'll be washing the dishes in it later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

endacl wrote: »
    Car made a sputtery noise, and stopped. Googled dat sh1t. Got me some 'petrol', and poured it into this hole thing at the back of the car. Found it hidden under a secret door. Back in the car, go through that start up sequence and, hey presto, car is moving again. I am DA MAN!!

:cool:

I put petrol in the hole under the 710 cap, disaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I'm on a dream run at present.

Cigarette lighter 12V sockets went in the missus car, just a fuse but working out which one & what size required all my googling skills, saved us a trip to the garage & cost 50c.

Washing machine wasn't draining so I was able to remove the pump & clean out all the crap, hey presto, good as new washing machine where herself was about to throw it out.

Cooker kept tripping out, got it out, removed the back & saw the spark shorting across the fan element contacts, 20 quid new part instead of an €80 call out fee.

Missus fancy new laptop only started up intermittently, she was taking it back to Currys, I updated the drivers & Bios & now it's working perfectly.

All this fixing prowess has bought me much improved respect from herself & has me glowing in manliness.
    Regale me with tales of proving your manhood.

I fixed the wing mirror on my car thanks to Micks garage and youtube videos. I am a bit of a n00b when it comes to cars but an estimated quotation of €400 from Audi quickly changed that.

My laptop screen also broke there a while ago. Ordered a new screen from Murica and youtube did the rest.

Youtube: Both a life and money safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Ordered wrong adapter for printer. Soldered on the right connector, no drama. Put together an Ikea sofa in under 30 mins with no help... brownie points. Researched and inspected SH car myself, got a bargain - more brownie points and a 40% saving on fuel. Replaced screen, hard drive and keyboard on my girlfriend's laptop - even more brownie points.

And yes, all the above are incredibly easy to do, but brownie points are serious currency.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's some mighty points. I'm currently in the midst of getting files off an old laptop. No wireless, USB doesn't work (Old '98 OS), floppy drive doesn't work, CD drive doesn't burn and Ethernet cable is an old variety no one seems to have. Lots of pictures that need removing.
    Really old school is when all you have is a serial port and a very old version of DOS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DOS_commands#INTERSVR INTERSVR /RCOPY Copies INTERLNK files from one computer to another, provided that the
    computers' serial ports are connected with a 7-wire null-modem cable.

And yeah I've had to solder up the cables too, not to mention soldering sockets on to motherboards

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jimgoose wrote: »
    Damn near impossible to get nice sharp bits of flint these days. :cool:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Flintknapp

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Disaster at DIY headquarters, new wooden floor in the kids bedroom had started to bulge in a couple of spots & felt wet along join.
    Turned out shower tray in adjoining ensuite was leaking through the wall, down back of skirting, onto gold foil underlay & soaking slowly into floor.

Anyhow, had to reseal shower tray, lift planks, check for further leaks, refit floor, all in one evening.
    I am the man once again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

Disaster at DIY headquarters, new wooden floor in the kids bedroom had started to bulge in a couple of spots & felt wet along join.
    Turned out shower tray in adjoining ensuite was leaking through the wall, down back of skirting, onto gold foil underlay & soaking slowly into floor.

Anyhow, had to reseal shower tray, lift planks, check for further leaks, refit floor, all in one evening.
    I am the man once again.

Im on a similar run this last 6 months, mainly thanks to Google, youtube, and plain old asking around.

Tumble drier was causing mains to trip, opened it up to find element was allowing in moisture. Hair-drier and re-seal, hey presto. I also fitted a new drum belt, cost : €17

Found a good-as-new dishwasher on Done Deal, went and collected it and installed it. €200

Replaced brake discs and brake pads on myself and herself's cars, also changed the oil, oil filters, air filters and fuel filters.

The best of the lot, I removed and replaced a headlight relay on to the central electronics module of my car. This is quite tricky as Volvo in their wisdom, have soldered all the relays directly on the the circuit board. A steady hand and 45 minutes sorted it out.

*almost forgot... shower door clips had snapped and I couldn't find replacements anywhere, online, in shops etc. So shower door lying unused for months.

Solution: I used the one good clip I had to make a mould using 50/50 mix of silicone and corn starch, and a drop of white spirits. I used a deep plastic lid to make the mould. It takse approx 2 hours for the silicone to set, then remove the clip.

To make the new clip I used a product called Chemical Metal (€7). It is soft like putty but hardens in 20 minutes. I just shoved this into the mould while it was still soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Head lining was falling down in my car. Went to upholsterers. After much sucking of air through gritted teeth, he quoted me €400 (ex VAT) to re-line the thing and fit it.

I went on the old interweb, found a fella with a headliner in good nick. He was giving it away FOC. Following a guide, I stripped out the old headliner and fitted the new one in about 4 hours. Trip to the valeting crowd ---> I have an shiny, good as new interior, saving around 500 quid. Back of the net!

Donal!!!

I hate that ad

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭hairway2Steven

Made super noodles one night after a few beers, saw i had no clean plates, I fixed it by eating out of the pot.. win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Replaced the immersion, lowered the cut off temperature on it and put a timer switch on it, SO IT CAN NEVER BE LEFT ON AGAINNNNN

/Thread......

Google Legionnaires disease and then go back and raise the temp!

• Advertisement
Advertisement