Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

esb meter move to outside pier prior to renovation

Options
  • 13-08-2014 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

hiya,

i'm planning to start a bungalow renovation within a month or so (fingers crossed).

we are still in the tendering process so no electrician on board yet which is why i'm posting.

there is an existing overground esb service to an inside meter via the chimney.

the renovation will involve removing the chimneys, roof and many walls (including the one used by the current meter).

we are planning to build a meter pier similar to this with power undergrounded to the closest pole and all services undergrounded from the meter pier to the house.

i've asked to meet an esb networks engineer on site to decide on the meter location etc. but i'm unsure when this will happen. how long do these usually take in dublin?

in order to maintain power on site during the renovation i am considering completing the meter pier/undergrounded esb connection etc. prior to the renovation, getting this signed off by an electrician and the meter moved by the esb.

in general terms does this sound reasonable? would an electrician sign off on something like this?

thanks for your help,

slip

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

i'm not sure that you will get a temporary from the pier location

the builders temporary supply was pretty much phased out in 2008 or thereabouts

make sure that your "pier" location satisfies ESBN requirements anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭slipstream

i'm not sure that you will get a temporary from the pier location

the builders temporary supply was pretty much phased out in 2008 or thereabouts

thanks mikey.

what i wondered was if a meter move to the pier was completed in advance of any renovation works would it be still be classed as a builders temporary supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

slipstream wrote: »
    thanks mikey.

what i wondered was if a meter move to the pier was completed in advance of any renovation works would it be still be classed as a builders temporary supply?

No it wouldn't. In order to have it done though your REC will have to complete a new cert for the existing premises.

The last one I did I was advised by ECSSA to note "meter move, new tails" on the cert, carry out a test of new tails (swa) and then carry out a fault loop impedence test and rcd test on circuit furthest away from the board post connection.

thanks mikey.

i don't think the REC can sign off on anything in the permanent meter location until all work is finished

so i doubt it

i'm no longer registered so maybe it's changed but i doubt it

i don't think the REC can sign off on anything in the permanent meter location until all work is finished

so i doubt it

i'm no longer registered so maybe it's changed but i doubt it

But if it's treated as just a meter move for the existing house it shouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement

i just looked up the old documents from about 2008

the problem that arose with temporary supplies at the permanent meter location was that the final paperwork was not always being submitted after a supply was provided

builders were hiring RECs to get a temporary supply to house and then ANother Joe Bloggs to finish the work and power up

But what I'm saying is just do it as a meter move, not a temporary supply. There's no need to mention any new building works.

E. Fudd wrote: »
    But if it's treated as just a meter move for the existing house it shouldn't be a problem.

maybe he can do it that way

1.meter relocation for existing installation

2. house renovation and re-wire later

he'd need to make sure that pier complies with ESBN specs

maybe he can do it that way

1.meter relocation for existing installation

2. house renovation and re-wire later

he'd need to make sure that pier complies with ESBN specs

It shouldn't be an issue. Once he ponies up to ESB for a meter move and Certs and pier construction are in order they'll move it.
    OP, contact ESBN and ask them to come out and have a look at your proposed location for a new pier for a meter move. They'll come out and explain what needs doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Think your best bet here is to get service removed completely.
    Speak to Esbn ASAP though about cost implications and your mini pillar for new service
    You're unlikely to get a temporary supply so best bet is kindly neighbor for power and pay his full Esb bill until your job is completed and certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭slipstream

Thanks for the advice lads.
    meercat wrote: »
    Think your best bet here is to get service removed completely.
    Speak to Esbn ASAP though about cost implications and your mini pillar for new service
    You're unlikely to get a temporary supply so best bet is kindly neighbor for power and pay his full Esb bill until your job is completed and certified.

I've already asked for site visit and was told the local office would call me back within a few days.

What would the additional cost implications be if the service was disconnected and reconnected in addition to the 408EURO meter move?
    E. Fudd wrote: »
    It shouldn't be an issue. Once he ponies up to ESB for a meter move and Certs and pier construction are in order they'll move it.
    OP, contact ESBN and ask them to come out and have a look at your proposed location for a new pier for a meter move. They'll come out and explain what needs doing.

One potential issue with the mini-pillar (like this one) is that it is below the meter height is below 1M so I'm unsure how it would be treated by ESBN.

Also, the house itself hasn't been updated since the 60s and has an old fuseboard, some surface mounted wiring, sockets below 300mm etc.

Would all/any of this need to be rectified in order for a REC to sign off on the wiring for the meter move (even though we plan to rip all this out)?

Slip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Thanks for the advice lads.

I've already asked for site visit and was told the local office would call me back within a few days.

What would the additional cost implications be if the service was disconnected and reconnected in addition to the 408EURO meter move?

Slip

There shouldn't be any additional Esbn costs but you need to agree this with Esbn before you undertake any work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Apogee

hiya,

i'm planning to start a bungalow renovation within a month or so (fingers crossed).

we are still in the tendering process so no electrician on board yet which is why i'm posting.

there is an existing overground esb service to an inside meter via the chimney.

the renovation will involve removing the chimneys, roof and many walls (including the one used by the current meter).

we are planning to build a meter pier similar to this with power undergrounded to the closest pole and all services undergrounded from the meter pier to the house.

i've asked to meet an esb networks engineer on site to decide on the meter location etc. but i'm unsure when this will happen. how long do these usually take in dublin?

in order to maintain power on site during the renovation i am considering completing the meter pier/undergrounded esb connection etc. prior to the renovation, getting this signed off by an electrician and the meter moved by the esb.

in general terms does this sound reasonable? would an electrician sign off on something like this?

thanks for your help,

slip

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but could the OP please outline how this turned out?

Facing into a similar problem - planning to remove chimney which is used for existing electricity supply. Meter is currently internal and house has external insulation already.

Advertisement