Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you can't do in Cork Pubs

Options
  • 13-08-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mixed blessing; seeing as some of the more insistent 'singers' around the country are quite incapable of holding a note.

In fairness, Cork pubs aren't as bad as other places around the world with dress codes; like no sports shirts or hats rules.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Only if that head the ball of an owner is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

darkdubh wrote: »
    Only if that head the ball of an owner is there.

Brian is taking a back-seat these days. His daughter runs the place nowadays, and she's almost sane. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

You just chose the 2 most fun regulated pubs in Cork :)

You are not allowed be a group in Tom Barrys either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Most frown on **** at the counter, although one tolerated a guy getting a BJ as he stood at the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

You can't get a pint for under a fiver, in most of the Heritage pubs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Where? Thats only acting the bollox. I want to know so I can actively avoid, and tell others to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Mardyke

Most annoying price ever.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Last time I was in the Crane Lane (New Year's) it was 5.05.

That's bullshhit, really, nothing more. They're nice pubs, and I'm excited to try the new Rising Sons beers, but if it's that much then I'm afraid I'm going to have to take an extended break from Benny's pubs til the prices sort themselves. Probably won't though, since they seem to be extremely popular.

Myself and a friend are operating a rolling homebrew schedule between us, so we don't get ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Things you can't do in Cork pubs?

When I was living down there I often found it difficult to find somewhere showing the soccer on a Sunday afternoon. I missed plenty of top 4 clashes because of it. One time I was walking around the city looking for a Man U v Chelsea match, with both teams going for the title. I had to go home and listen to it on the radio. Very strange for a city. That was in 2009. Hopefully things have improved since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Plenty of pubs show premier league on sundays now and other days for that matter.

ofcork wrote: »
    Plenty of pubs show premier league on sundays now and other days for that matter.

Other days were never the problem in fairness. It was just Sunday afternoons. Obviously the pubs weren't open until 12:30, with maybe a 1pm kick off. So I understand that some places just thought it wasn't worth it. But it was still strange, especially for a city. But I'm glad to hear that things have come on a bit. I guess the situation back then goes back to something that I've always said about Cork, and that is that it's not a city, at least not in the popular sense of the word. At least that's how I see it. And with that reduced status comes a lack of stuff that's taken for granted in larger cities. Take somewhere like Dublin for example. If a team from Iceland were playing in the Europa League there'd be a pub somewhere with a load of ex-pats having a beer. But that's just capital cities for you. Large populations are the driving force behind everything. But I love Cork all the same. There's a great vibe around the place down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Never had a problem seeing the football on a sunday afternoon to be honest, you must not have bothered walking down Oliver Plunkett street that time!

Never had a problem seeing the football on a sunday afternoon to be honest, you must not have bothered walking down Oliver Plunkett street that time!

Yes, I lived on Drawbridge St. so it was one of the first areas I checked. It happened a good few times. But I wouldn't be the first person to talk rubbish on Boards.ie so it's fair enough if you don't believe me! :)

Yes, I lived on Drawbridge St. so it was one of the first areas I checked. It happened a good few times. But I wouldn't be the first person to talk rubbish on Boards.ie so it's fair enough if you don't believe me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

the Old Oak always opened for lunch and Scotts (before it closed down).

SoHo as well on grand parade would have been opened. You'll know for next time anyways. Get you away from that radio :P

the Old Oak always opened for lunch and Scotts (before it closed down).

SoHo as well on grand parade would have been opened. You'll know for next time anyways. Get you away from that radio :P

Ha, cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I cant believe anyone could have spent any time walking around cork and not found pubs showing the premiership unless cork were playing in all ireland final perhaps?

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I cant believe anyone could have spent any time walking around cork and not found pubs showing the premiership unless cork were playing in all ireland final perhaps?

No worries. There's no obligation on you to believe anything. But I'll even add one more. Larry Tomkins' used to refuse point blank to put on Premier League coverage even when there was no GAA on the box. I lived in the flats across the road. Used to piss me off. The only time they turned it on was when I was with my dad, who is fairly old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Can't enter them.

I can't believe I'm 27. I look 27. And still have to bring Id with me. bit of cop on needed.

I a few years back witnessed a bouncer asking my 54 year old uncle for id

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

Smoke

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Can't enter them.

I can't believe I'm 27. I look 27. And still have to bring Id with me. bit of cop on needed.

I a few years back witnessed a bouncer asking my 54 year old uncle for id

It's not always about age. They might just want to interact with you, and you're uncle. If you react badly to being asked for ID, or if you can't string two words together, then the game is up. It's bloody annoying but many of these guys have done security courses at this stage. So it's part of their job. They know how to gauge your mood and how to press for reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

It's not always about age. They might just want to interact with you, and you're uncle. If you react badly to being asked for ID, or if you can't string two words together, then the game is up. It's bloody annoying but many of these guys have done security courses at this stage. So it's part of their job. They know how to gauge your mood and how to press for reactions.

I know what your saying but I'm not the type. I always get in.I don't look like I could be a problem, don't turn up falling about, generally friendly and polite. But last day didn't expect to be going to town so didn't have I'd. Couldn't get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Smoke

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

Good.

Yep I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭corks finest

aujopimur wrote: »
    Most frown on **** at the counter, although one tolerated a guy getting a BJ as he stood at the bar.
    cant get a cheap pint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

cant get a cheap pint

Preachers - 3.50 for Preachers Brau, (some re-branded lager) Everything else is under 5 euro.

Advertisement