Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying rates for renting an office space...?

Options
  • 13-08-2014 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey there,

just wondering if anyone can help me with this?

I live in Kerry, and of course, no one around here seems to be able to answer me this question...

If I rent out an office to work in, do I have to pay council rates?

I'm going to go ahead and guess yes, because if you work from home you still have to pay rates based on the square cubic meter of the room you're working in, but I just want to find out for sure.

I'm hoping to start a business shortly, and I really don't want to end up paying 6,000 euro a year just to be putting my arse somewhere.

I work pretty much from my latpop 100% of the time.... I've noticed in Australia and the UK, there are shared work spaces available where people don't pay rates.. they're almost like restaurants. People just pop in and do their work, then go home. What about in Ireland? Can you just... work from public places without having to pay rates? (Again I'm guessing not, otherwise everyone else would be doing it).

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I work pretty much from my latpop 100% of the time.... I've noticed in Australia and the UK, there are shared work spaces available where people don't pay rates.. they're almost like restaurants. People just pop in and do their work, then go home. What about in Ireland? Can you just... work from public places without having to pay rates? (Again I'm guessing not, otherwise everyone else would be doing it).

Most shared workspace/hotdesk type setups give you an all inclusive cost. Coffee shops already pay rates so you're not likely to get a rates bill with your large frappucino.

Have a look for some services offices/office shares/shared workspaces in your desire location. Give them a quick call to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 entrepreneur01

Thanks Graham, will do that for sure. I'm just wondering about the legalities of it all... I mean, I'll more than likely have to have a permanent business address (which will probably be my home in this case), so will the council be looking for me to register and pay rates for that address no matter what I do? Or is it okay to have that address registered and work in shared work spaces without paying rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If your business is registered at your home address and you are working at your kitchen table you are not liable to pay rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

If it is a business that does not need a public office and you won't have visitors dropping in to do business you can work from home and there are no rates - you could possibly offset some costs associated with the business against tax.

Rates for a small public accessible office would not be very high.

If you are going down the route of renting an office, the estate agent or landlord will have details of the rates.

Advertisement