Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Daunting Firsts

• 13-08-2014 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

So, yeah, I'm new to this stuff. Been driving a car a good number of years, and decided I would like the freedom of a bike, to leave the car for the wife and kid.

The wife said it's a mid-life crisis, I disagree. :D

How is someone supposed to start out? :eek: So much choice.

I get my learner permit next week, and then plan to go do IBT. Since I live northside, I'm considering Airport Driving School or else Irish School of Motoring, both in the Jamestown Business park. Any recommendations on either?

Then starts all the fun - buying the gear, and of course, deciding on my first bike. I am not looking for a sport bike. Something with a more upright seating position. Just something mainly for commuting. But, something that can carry a bit of gear on the back. It would free up the car if I can get what I need on a bike. I want something comfortable. I plan to go to a few motorbike shops soon to just have a look. Searching online looks great, but obviously touching a bike will have a big impact.

And PPE is a whole other issue. What helmet, gloves, boots and clothing? Function, look, price .... etc. I do like the look and function of the BMW helmet system 6 EVO or the Shoei Neotec.

Anyway, not sure I expect answers, but it sure is a bit daunting starting out. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Good luck & welcome to the gang!

First things first, if you've never been on a bike before; don't buy anything yet.. It might transpire that you don't actually like it... (But in saying that, there is no better way to travel.)

Get your IBT done and if you like it, then get shopping..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Welcome to the other side as they say!

It will all depend on your budget, age and the category learner permit you applied for, but as mentioned regarding bikes, make sure to do the IBT first...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sorry, age 40+, category A permit ... and budget is decent. ;) I can afford a good bike and good gear, and am willing to pay a fair price for a quality item.

I plan to do the IBT once things settle down (I've holidays coming up), so it will probably be Nov before I can start.

Paulw wrote: »
    Sorry, age 40+, category A permit ... and budget is decent. ;) I can afford a good bike and good gear, and am willing to pay a fair price for a quality item.

I plan to do the IBT once things settle down (I've holidays coming up), so it will probably be Nov before I can start.

Have you seen any bikes you've liked? Here is a general breakdown of manufacturer stereotypes:

Honda - Good solid bike, but a taste of following the crowd (the new CB500 looks class: http://www.hondaireland.ie/motorcycles/adventure/cb500xa/)
    Kawasaki - Amazing bikes, on a bit of a downward slope at the moment
    Suzuki - Good old fashioned Jap engineering
    Ducati - Mid life crises, will def brake on you but you'll have a full time boner when riding it
    HD - You've too much money to know what to do with, AKA tractors
    BMW - You want a coffee with that? (But a guilty pleasure of many)
    Aprilla - What do you mean its plastic on the inside?
    KTM - Fun Fun Fun!!! Big childs bike, amazing.

Very interesting comments about the makes. :D

I was looking at that Honda CB500. The wife said it looked like a big bird beak on front. :cool: Made me think twice.

I really like the look of the BMW R1200 RT, but damn it's expensive (and on a worldwide recall).

I know a few people (in the US) with HD bikes and they seem reliable and a good ride. I know, more a US thing than a European thing.

The Suzuki V-Strom 1000 looks nice.

I must look at KTM. The 1190 looks interesting.

I have plenty of time to look/research and see what suits me. But, since boards is already a wealth of knowledge, I'm just sounding things out. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

If you plan to use it for commuting, get a bike with a fairing for a bit of shelter, VFR800 - great all round bike, very comfortable on the road in all weathers

Good choices, its a good idea to look at bikes with luggage attached, it doesn't suit some bikes at all.. if you type in the bikes name and 'givi' afterwards into google it will normally show pics of the bike with storage attached..

VFR800 is really nice (as above) a lot of the 2nd hand ones have luggage already fitted...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I would try and get the IBT done before the clocks change.
    You don't want to leave it, and then find that you are cold on the bike, and get put off before you get going.

Just my 2c.

P.C. wrote: »
    I would try and get the IBT done before the clocks change.
    You don't want to leave it, and then find that you are cold on the bike, and get put off before you get going.

Just my 2c.

Yeah, I know. But, I'm away for 2 weeks in Sept, and then 2 weeks in Oct, so it's a timing issue. I'd love to start right away, but don't get my learner permit until next week. Once I have that I will drop in to the two IBT centres and see what they offer/recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Yeah, I know. But, I'm away for 2 weeks in Sept, and then 2 weeks in Oct, so it's a timing issue. I'd love to start right away, but don't get my learner permit until next week. Once I have that I will drop in to the two IBT centres and see what they offer/recommend.

Summers is almost over. :(

• Advertisement

I do a lot of outdoor stuff in the winter, so wind/rain/cold doesn't bother me too much, since I can just stick on some rain gear.

I'd start the IBT tomorrow if I could, but am prepared to wait and then do it all properly, together.

I've no doubt that I will enjoy riding a bike, and I have plenty of time to suck in the knowledge from boards, buy my PPE and then decide on what bike I want.

The advice in here is just brilliant, so I will keep browsing, visit a few shops, look at bikes and prepare for my new adventures. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

jameshayes wrote: »
    Have you seen any bikes you've liked? Here is a general breakdown of manufacturer stereotypes:

Honda - Good solid bike, but a taste of following the crowd (the new CB500 looks class: http://www.hondaireland.ie/motorcycles/adventure/cb500xa/)
    Kawasaki - Amazing bikes, on a bit of a downward slope at the moment
    Suzuki - Good old fashioned Jap engineering
    Ducati - Mid life crises, will def brake on you but you'll have a full time boner when riding it
    HD - You've too much money to know what to do with, AKA tractors
    BMW - You want a coffee with that? (But a guilty pleasure of many)
    Aprilla - What do you mean its plastic on the inside?
    KTM - Fun Fun Fun!!! Big childs bike, amazing.

My version of the above, in RED

Honda - Good solid bike, but a taste of following the crowd - still the quality bike of choice, but you pay top dollar.
    Kawasaki - Amazing bikes, on a bit of a downward slope at the moment Range can be hit/miss: love 'em or hate 'em. Strong engineering
    Suzuki - Good old fashioned Jap engineering always good value and reliable. Always seem to be deals on them somewhere.
    Ducati - Mid life crises, will def brake on you but you'll have a full time boner when riding it Again, love 'em or hate 'em, and keep your AA cover up to date
    HD - You've too much money to know what to do with, AKA tractors lose the least amount of money if/when you sell it. Under-rated, reliable, cheap to insure. Can be bought at right money due to Celtic Tiger surplus.
    BMW - You want a coffee with that? (But a guilty pleasure of many)- lose the most amount of money if/when you sell it, and like Ducati, but buy shares in the AA. A nightmare if problems outside of warranty, but lovely to ride. F800R is under-rated.
    Aprilla - What do you mean its plastic on the inside? You ain't kiddin' - makes a Ducati appear Honda-like for reliability. Lovely to ride - when they work. Lack of dealerships won't help.
    KTM - Fun Fun Fun!!! Big childs bike, amazing. I only know 1 guy who's bought one - and even though it ate it's engine cases on a Tour when the clutch came off the shaft, still went and bought another - dealer did everything under goodwill warranty. Try before you buy, as the range is quite limited.

Others to consider:
    Yamaha - pitched somewhere between Suzuki and Honda. Good bikes
    Triumph - a nice range, and giving Japan a run for it's money these days

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    My version of the above, in RED

I was waiting for a slating! I was grimacing n'all!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

When buying your gear, you can get good deals in most shops if your buying alot, definitly shop around.

i havespent a bit of time in each of the more popular shops
    bikeworld (window world)
    cotters
    megabikes

there are others people will recommend but i have had no issue with any of them and always got a good deal by havin a chat and a bit of banter with the guys in each.

enjoy hunting out the first bike... (but can be an addiction, im on bike 4 and 5 in only 4 years)
    take a look at the fazer 600 can take all the luggage and gear you might need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

My 2c - go to http://www.aaronridertraining.com/ for the IBT.
    Peter has a great reputation and will be able to assist on a number of your questions about getting started.

For starting out gear - I would head over to Cotters - they'll kit you out to your budget and probably give you a nice bit off too. Bikeworld / Megabikes are miles too expensive.

With regard to the bike - wait and see what style you like - don't buy new (you're going to drop the bike a couple of times) - also, tons of great bikes will be coming on market september in uk as lads sell them off before winter. You're also more likely to pick up a full luggage system with the bike.

heres one : http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201407175894293/sort/pricedesc/model/tdm/make/yamaha/usedbikes/advert-type/Classified/page/4/postcode/bt12aa/radius/1500?logcode=p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

I would see if there is any big bike shops that will be close to you while on your travels and go in and check out the gear they have.

Rukka gear is catching my eyes at the moment would love to go to a store that carries all their gear and check it out.

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    When buying your gear, you can get good deals in most shops if your buying alot, definitly shop around.

I'm going to the US on holidays in Oct, so was considering buying a good bit there, and saving a good bit due to currency rates and even prices. :D It all depends on how much room I have in my luggage bag.

But, I'll definitely have a wander in a few of the shops here, and have a look at things, to see what fits and suits.

ifah wrote: »
    My 2c - go to http://www.aaronridertraining.com/ for the IBT.
    Peter has a great reputation and will be able to assist on a number of your questions about getting started.

With regard to the bike - wait and see what style you like - don't buy new (you're going to drop the bike a couple of times)

I'll check that out for IBT. Thanks. I didn't even know they were there.

Yeah, I've been browsing 2nd hand bikes online, and definitely believe it's the way to go, at least for driving when I have a learner permit and just getting used to a bike. It's also a lot cheaper. If/when I have passed the test and feel comfortable, then I might consider a brand new motor.

You will save a massive amount in the states. I would research buying everything there and shipping it home.

jimmer123 wrote: »
    You will save a massive amount in the states. I would research buying everything there and shipping it home.

Large empty suitcase. :D The excess luggage charge will be much less than the amount I save. I've already started to find some motorbike stores in the area I will be in. Seems like a good few, so I will have plenty of choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

If I was you I'd pick up a cheap deuville to get you started , they come with luggage , shaft drive , not too powerful for a novice but enough to keep you amused . When you're getting your gear , make sure your lid is fitted properly , a lot of new lads feel comfortable in a lid that's too big if they haven't worn one before and shops won't argue , they'll just sell it to you . Watch out for this especially in bike world as they won't change helmets after you walk outside the door .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

jimmer123 wrote: »

I don't think so. I've been there enough times to know the difference.

My last leathers and boots were cheaper here.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I was under the impression you could get all types of goods cheaper in the states :(

galwaytt wrote: »
    I don't think so. I've been there enough times to know the difference.

My last leathers and boots were cheaper here.

Yeah, it really does depend. You need to shop around (as always). Some items will be cheaper and some won't. Especially since a number of items are made in Europe, they can be cheaper here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

I'm about your age done my test 3 years ago but not much experience since.
    I was looking for a bike for commuting recently and was looking at the Honda NC750X DCT.Its an automatic so people on here wont like it but I think it would be great for commuting.You won't get one secondhand though.9500 euro new.
    P.S was then given a company van so plan shelved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

defike wrote: »
    I'm about your age done my test 3 years ago but not much experience since.
    I was looking for a bike for commuting recently and was looking at the Honda NC750X DCT.Its an automatic so people on here wont like it but I think it would be great for commuting.You won't get one secondhand though.9500 euro new.
    P.S was then given a company van so plan shelved.

The NC750x:) My ideal bike. Realistically im at least 2 or 3 years off getting one until prices drop. I love the helmet storage

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

If you have the time around the end of november a trip to the bike show in Birmingham would be well worth your while. All the main manufacturers will be there with pretty much all thier bikes on stands where you can sit on them and see how the riding position etc suits you.
    It will atleast give you a rough idea of what you like and dont.
    There is always a huge range of gear on sale there too so the same applies.

Flight tickets are about 20-30 euro each way at the min and 20 quid for entry to the show would be well spent imo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Love the posts about bike manufacturers! Have to add my own

Honda - The toyota of bikes. Well made, well finished. They're everywhere, but for a good reason.
    Kawasaki - The lesser of the big 4 japanese manufacturers, but still good. The mazda of bikes
    Suzuki - another jap manufacturer, take your pick of the 4.
    Yamaha - the last big jap manufacturer, the coolest of the 4 :D
    Ducati - Will give you a boner, not a first bike, anything after about 2001/2002 is good reliably, don't listen to the above posts :pac: Makes you smile every time you see it, never mind ride it.
    HD - Historicly ridden by biker gangs that strike fear into the hearts of people when they come into town. Now ridden by accountants who think they're james dean. Laughed at by every other biker, think of almost bald 60 year olds with pony tails :D
    BMW - Lineup of bikes are better than any of the japanese ones, but from my experience the finish isn't as good.
    Aprilla - Some good, some bad. Do your research!
    KTM - Great bikes, but most are fairly manky looking. imho obviously!

galwaytt, interesting you said the bmw costs the most in the long run, I remember a few years ago reading a bike magazine long term test out of about 10 bikes that the beemer was the cheapest to own. And that counted buying the bike, servicing in dealers, tyres, resale etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Yeah I've found that BMWs really hold their value. That said I lost a whole 50 euro on my last one. bought in 2010 for €2000, sold in 2013 for €1950.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I get my learner permit next week, and then plan to go do IBT. Since I live northside, I'm considering Airport Driving School or else Irish School of Motoring, both in the Jamestown Business park. Any recommendations on either?

Hmmm, a good instructor.... No, can't think of any.

Seriously, lookbehindyou is a mod on here and he's also an instructor. If I needed an instructor I'd go to him, anyone who used him on here has nothing but good things to say about him.

Advertisement