Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Daunting Firsts

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Each manufacturer has a colour preference......Pick your favourite colour.

Honda - Red
    Kawasaki - Green
    Suzuki - Blue
    Yamaha - Blue
    Ducati - Red
    HD - Pink
    BMW - White
    Aprilla - Black
    KTM - Orange

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

getting ready to buy my first bike myself and thinking about a dragstar or a fazer due to my husky tall stature and cheap cost and having been advised that they would be comfortable in comparison to bandits . any one got pros and cons i should consider ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 chiplad

My 2 cents:

I'm far from experienced (bought my first proper bike a month ago) but bought a Fazer (fzs) and absolutely love it. Highly recommend them.

Did my ibt with lookbehindyou (roadtraining dot I e) and absolutely super trainer.

Lastly, bought my gear in Cotters, I have nobody else to compare them to but found them helpful and reasonably priced.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Through reading/researching, etc, I think I'm gonna settle on a BMW R1200 GSA. Looks like the kinda bike that will suit my needs - mainly commuting, but also weekend getaways. I may even buy new, if the budget fits.

I've been browsing pricing on clothing, etc, and I have noticed that some stuff is actually way more expensive in the US than in Europe. I guess that is stuff made in Europe and then exported to the US. So, I will browse the shops in France when there on holidays, to see if it's cheaper than here. Always hard to know just what to buy in relation to helmet, gloves, clothing, boots, etc. So much choice out there. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Paulw wrote: »
    Through reading/researching, etc, I think I'm gonna settle on a BMW R1200 GSA. Looks like the kinda bike that will suit my needs - mainly commuting, but also weekend getaways. I may even buy new, if the budget fits.

2 things here:
    First, you'd be absolutely mad to buy new, bonkers, throwing money away... You will, without question, drop your first bike, no doubt about it - and if it is new you will cry (a lot), they hold their value well so buy 2nd hand and resell - then when you've miles done buy new.

Secondly, thats a big bike for a learner, a huge amount of power that might be a fraction too tempting to use, maybe a 600 would be better. I'm on bikes since 17 and I commute daily to the city centre, I drive a 600 and I have no need or want for more power.
    I've been browsing pricing on clothing, etc, and I have noticed that some stuff is actually way more expensive in the US than in Europe. I guess that is stuff made in Europe and then exported to the US. So, I will browse the shops in France when there on holidays, to see if it's cheaper than here. Always hard to know just what to buy in relation to helmet, gloves, clothing, boots, etc. So much choice out there. :D

Helmets:
    There are 3-4 main brands, Shoei, Arai and Shark are the ones that spring to mind.. its 6 of one really, there is a saftey rating guide for helmets but its not worth p!ss

Gloves & boots:
    Gloves are consumable, same as boots you'll go through a few pairs so just try them on and buy whatever fits best. Try go for gortex

Clothing:
    There are, like everything else, premium brands and cheap brands, to be honest, the degree in which they will protect you are about the same - just comfort and fit. Alpinestars and Daniese are the big brands in clothing (your next battle will be leathers -v- textile) textile FTW!

Back Protector:
    Buy one.

hope that helps, no doubt I left brands out, like RST etc etc but they're all the same really, just go to shops and try stuff on..

• Advertisement

jameshayes wrote: »
    Secondly, thats a big bike for a learner, a huge amount of power that might be a fraction too tempting to use

Having power doesn't bother me. I've been driving cars for years now, and know when not to use the power you have in the engine. I've no points on my license, and plan to keep it that way.
    jameshayes wrote: »
    Helmets:
    There are 3-4 main brands, Shoei, Arai and Shark are the ones that spring to mind.

Gloves & boots:
    Gloves are consumable, same as boots you'll go through a few pairs so just try them on and buy whatever fits best. Try go for gortex

Clothing:
    There are, like everything else, premium brands and cheap brands, to be honest, the degree in which they will protect you are about the same - just comfort and fit. Alpinestars and Daniese are the big brands in clothing (your next battle will be leathers -v- textile) textile FTW!

Back Protector:
    Buy one.

hope that helps

Everything on here helps. A wealth of useful advice, which I do appreciate.

Yeah, was looking at the Shoei Neotec helmet. Looks nice and seems to get good reviews. Just a matter of trying them on to get the right fit. It also seems cheaper to buy that item in the US.

Yep, a big fan of Gortex products - great for keeping dry in our lovely weather.

For clothes, I will probably go textile. Just what I am used to really.

Having power doesn't bother me. I've been driving cars for years now, and know when not to use the power you have in the engine. I've no points on my license, and plan to keep it that way.

But have you been in a car that can hit 3 figures in first gear in less than 4 seconds? (and you've another 5 gears after that one!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

A GSA is a very big bike full stop. I would seriously consider something physically smaller until you have the experience to deal with something that size. I would consider a second hand bandit or fazer to do you for the first year or so. You will drop it but you wont care. BMW repair bills are nothing to laugh at and neither is 250kg+ of bike coming down on you in a spill.

ya to be fair im a virgin biker too and im under no illusions as to the dangers involved in bikes . apart from the speed and acceleration, lack of protection and lack of grip that differ from cars . you have to take into account what some idiot in a bmw or a granny in a micra will do as well as your own actions.
    im well used to driving too (in a 200 bhp car) but im as apprehensive as i am eager when it comes to bike safety

some idiot in a bmw

Offence taken!:pac:

• Advertisement

Sorry :-( ment the bell end in the 5 20 on the phone , considering a bmw 650 gs bike myself actually .

Bikes are on a completely different performance level than cars.
    Most cars are slugs compared to even the smaller bikes.

Start on a 600cc naked like a Bandit or Fazer.
    These will outperform almost any car on the road.

Sorry :-( ment the bell end in the 5 20 on the phone , considering a bmw 650 gs bike myself actually .

lol... thats me(except the phone part lol)! BMW for the 4 wheels and a CBR for 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm not sure of the licence/insurance shít for gettina a 1200GSA as a first bike. Personally I'd never buy new, but some people have more money than me! It's a great all round bike, but as a first bike, it's a bit of a beast. It's tall, heavy and you will definitely drop it (not crash, just drop) if you start off on one. I don't see a massive problem with the power, some people are careful and don't abuse it, it's down to the individual. It's powerful, but it's not a sportsbike, and you're not 18 years old.
    But my advice on getting the GSA as a first bike is to get a lend of one, a test drive or buy second hand. Even an 1150. You don't want to spend €20k on a bike and decide it's too big, you don't like it, or drop it at low speed and cause a load of damage.

As for gear, I only buy online if I've tried on in a shop. Can't trust sizes. I'd just head up to Hein Gericke in Belfast to get kitted out

Well, I have moved on with things.

Bought the gear. Comfortable enough, but some items I will change, and others will change over time.

I've completed my IBT. That was thrilling and also scared the crap out of me, especially driving on the roads in the wind and rain. But, I survived. No spills, no drops of the bike, no incidents.

So, is it normal to freaked out when doing the IBT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Well done on IBT - what type of bike did you use ?

Did you buy the new GSA ??

Maybe list your gear up here for any other new biker's to follow.

Here's my current list (commuting approx 75 km's daily) :

Richa Leathers (Jacket & Pants)
    Arai Rx-7 Helmet
    TCX SR-1 Gore Tex boots
    Richa Cold Protect Gore-Tex Gloves
    Cold Killer neck muff
    Forcefield Back Protector

Rain gear :
    Richa Full Fluo rain jacket
    Richa Rain Warrior Pants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Well, I have moved on with things.

Bought the gear. Comfortable enough, but some items I will change, and others will change over time.

I've completed my IBT. That was thrilling and also scared the crap out of me, especially driving on the roads in the wind and rain. But, I survived. No spills, no drops of the bike, no incidents.

So, is it normal to freaked out when doing the IBT?

Something aint right if you dont crap your pants riding a bike for the first time. If like me doing the ibt was my first time on a bike. Having driven a car for years the feeling you get by riding a bike with no protective cage can be intense. The good news is every time you get on a bike after your first day it gets easier and those crap your pants feelings fade.

I did my IBT with Peter at Aaron Rider Training. The first day I was on a 250cc bike (think it was a Honda CBR). Nice bike. The 2nd day, and out on the road, it was a bigger 600cc bike. No idea what make/model. Much more powerful though and very sensitive on the controls.

I haven't bought a bike yet, but will soon.

Gear -
    Shoei Neotec helmet
    RST Adventure jacket (black/silver)
    RST Adventure trousers (black/silver)
    Boots are RST GorTex, not sure the exact model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

If you're still considering a GS I'd always reccomend the standard model over the adventure. For the vast majority of users its a better bike.

The 1150 is a great machine too. That's what I have myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Gear -
    Shoei Neotec helmet
    RST Adventure jacket (black/silver)
    RST Adventure trousers (black/silver)
    Boots are RST GorTex, not sure the exact model.

Jaysus, your instructors gear prob wasn't that good.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Jaysus, your instructors gear prob wasn't that good.

Actually, he had the same RST Adventure gear. He complimented me on my choice. :D

Still considering the GS, but more likely the F800. Plenty of time. With work, family, Christmas, etc, I'll probably wait until the new year before I buy anything.

Everybody obviously has there own taste but if it was my money and I was set on a BMW it would have the boxer engine, thought that's why people bought them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Everybody obviously has there own taste but if it was my money and I was set on a BMW it would have the boxer engine, thought that's why people bought them.
    I like the boxer but for me the shaft drive is the main reason I have it over the likes of a KTM. When you're on and off the bike 5 or 6 times a day all year round its handy not to have to worry about it. The 800 hasn't got this either.

That said I'd a 990 adventure borrowed from a cousin for a week and I seriously considered buying it off him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Just to add some sensibility to this, I would go with a 600 max for your first bike. litre+ bikes are great in time, however they are a recipe to KILL an inexperienced rider in the blink of an eye.Power corrupts. your entering a different world, your car experience means nothing..

Those oh **** moments don't all happen on the IBT.

You will have brown trouser moments and you will probably drop the bike at some stage, I would not be rushing out to get a big shiny bike to start on.

The power of a even a 250 will often make even the most sensible new rider take risks and put you into situations you haven't learnt to get out of, you have just done your ibt you haven't experienced even a small bike being opened up yet. you've seen maybe 10% of the power the bikes you learned on have at best.

If I were you I would get a Honda cbf 600, Get crash protectors and take your time with it ( that's plenty of bike to keep you going for a good while)

Lads here suggesting 1100 and 1200's is insane IMO.

keep her between the hedges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

hobochris wrote: »
    Just to add some sensibility to this, I would go with a 600 max for your first bike. litre+ bikes are great in time, however they are a recipe to KILL an inexperienced rider in the blink of an eye.Power corrupts. your entering a different world, your car experience means nothing..

Those oh **** moments don't all happen on the IBT.

You will have brown trouser moments and you will probably drop the bike at some stage, I would not be rushing out to get a big shiny bike to start on.

The power of a even a 250 will often make even the most sensible new rider take risks and put you into situations you haven't learnt to get out of, you have just done your ibt you haven't experienced even a small bike being opened up yet. you've seen maybe 10% of the power the bikes you learned on have at best.

If I were you I would get a Honda cbf 600, Get crash protectors and take your time with it ( that's plenty of bike to keep you going for a good while)

Lads here suggesting 1100 and 1200's is insane IMO.

I agree, but yet the Government seem to think its perfectly fine for a new rider to pass the new IBT and hope on an R1 with no Restriction for 2 yrs....FCUKIN MADNESS.

hobochris wrote: »
    Just to add some sensibility to this, I would go with a 600 max for your first bike. ....

....Lads here suggesting 1100 and 1200's is insane IMO.

I was initially going to post the same as you but then I saw the OPs post below; the point about the engne size has already been made. Myself and most forum members would agree with you. While I'm sure most of us agree that a 600 is more than enough when starting out, it's up to the OP whether he takes our advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I was initially going to post the same as you but then I saw the OPs post below; the point about the engne size has already been made. Myself and most forum members would agree with you. While I'm sure most of us agree that a 600 is more than enough when starting out, it's up to the OP whether he takes our advise.

I hope he does take it on board. I know there are a few here like myself who know lads killed on bikes(lads who were experienced), I hope he wont add to the statistics that the rest of us are berated with constantly by non bikers.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I agree, but yet the Government seem to think its perfectly fine for a new rider to pass the new IBT and hope on an R1 with no Restriction for 2 yrs....FCUKIN MADNESS.

If the government had their way, they would ban bikes.

Well, according to my instructor, the 600cc bike I did my IBT on is much more powerful than the F800GS Adv I was considering. He rides the F800GS himself and said that the bike I was on even scares him at times. I guess it's not purely about the cc of a bike, but how that power is deployed and delivered to the road.

While doing the IBT we went on to a section of the N2 which is a 120kph zone, so got the bike up to that speed. That was a lot more comfortable than doing 50kph in city traffic. Obviously I won't be on a motorway until I get my full license, but it was interesting to find that section of road with that limit.

But, on the bike front, I haven't decided on anything yet, or even if I will buy.

I know a few bikers, from work and other friends. One who posts here had a very serious accident. Another friend recently had a spill but nothing too serious. So, I am not foolish about the whole thing. I am not looking for a power bike, but one I can use - for commute, for weekend travel, for trips to the coast, for trips across the country, etc. I want something that commute, but also be comfortable enough for a journey, but also fuel efficient. Something I can do motorway speeds on, but is also decent for work commutes.

I've also been to the Skerries 100 and Killalane races for a good few years. I have seen bikes at speed, and seen accidents. I have some friends who are bikers, and I listen to their opinions too. As a car driver, I have seen lots of good sensible bikers driving, but have also seen some foolish ones too. But, you can say that about everyone using the roads - pedestrians, cyclists, car drivers, bikers, etc.

I talked to people and read a lot of stuff (including boards), before I even considered getting my learner permit and doing IBT. I am not blind to the dangers out there. I'm sure it's more about how you use the bike you have (or get), than it is purely about the power of the bike.

At the end of the day, I don't ignore posts on here, but at the same time, I will make my own mind up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Get one of these and be done with it, bought her new 2 year ago and have thoroughly enjoyed every mile.

Just returned from a 1400 mile round trip to Los Angeles and back and she ate up the miles with ease, and obviously plenty of room for all your gear with the big cases and almost 10 gallons (US) of petrol will get you 300 miles between refills.

It’s like having two bikes in one, a highway cruiser that’s also capable of off-road adventures

GSA_zps53874b33.jpg

Advertisement