Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Daunting Firsts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Well, I bought an F800GS Adventure. Lovely bike. It's very tall and a top heavy bike, but a lot smoother to ride than the bikes I did my IBT on. Very comfortable and seems to be a lot more controlled power. It is very stable and easy going.

I've ordered a few parts for it - upper crash bars, tankbag, headlight protector, etc. So, I'll enjoy putting them on.

I've been only out on the bike twice so far, but really love it. Was out on a stretch of road that in the cage I would easilly do 100-105, but on the bike it was more than comfortable getting up to 75-80 (it's a 100 zone). A quiet time so I wasn't holding up any traffic. :D I haven't managed to get it up to 6th gear yet.

While out, I even go a wave from another biker, so I feel like I'm joining the club. Now I just need to get the practice in and do my test. That will probably be in April. Hopefully the weather will stay decent and allow me to practice.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice.

16166013218_c2038fb260.jpgPWPX0413

16351870761_d867d35340.jpgPWPX0434

16351871001_ca6caca1a4.jpgPWPX0453

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

The bike looks spotless Paulw. Nice buy. Id would love one if I wasnt such a short arse

There's a nack to swinging the leg to get on, and I'm 6'1. Much harder with the pannier boxes on. I'll get used to it in time, I'm sure. Good exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Lovely bike man. Ya should come out for a spin tomorrow with a few of us. Check the Sunday spin thread and post up if your up for it

goodlad wrote: »
    Lovely bike man. Ya should come out for a spin tomorrow with a few of us. Check the Sunday spin thread and post up if your up for it

Would love to, but am away for the weekend. Once I get a free Sunday, I will hopefully meet up with you more experienced guys. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The bike looks spotless Paulw. Nice buy. Id would love one if I wasnt such a short arse
    Get away outta that!!
    This is how you do it :pac::pac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Very informative thread , i too am doing my IBT soon , 34 yr old and iv not being on a bike in over 10 years( 7 seater for kids) ;) so hopefully il pick it up again once back on the bike , love the bike you got paulw eventually i would like one or a kawasaki versys , im only 5'10 so that bike may be out of my reach , i will need to investigate further but i love the look of adventure style bikes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

jo06555 wrote: »
    Very informative thread , i too am doing my IBT soon , 34 yr old and iv not being on a bike in over 10 years( 7 seater for kids) ;) so hopefully il pick it up again once back on the bike , love the bike you got paulw eventually i would like one or a kawasaki versys , im only 5'10 so that bike may be out of my reach , i will need to investigate further but i love the look of adventure style bikes :D

Check out goodlads vstrom, he's selling it at the mo. It's lowered and I'd guess he's around 5'10 too.

zubair wrote: »
    Check out goodlads vstrom, he's selling it at the mo. It's lowered and I'd guess he's around 5'10 too.

Thanks where can i view it ? Must say the v strom is another bike i really like .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Thanks where can i view it ? Must say the v strom is another bike i really like .

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-v-strom-1000/8491753

Although the photos in the ad aren't great! There were photos on here that were better.
    Goodlad, sort out your photos

• Advertisement

Its in for an all year biker clean next Saturday.
    Will be taking loads of photos then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Nice choice Paul, you’re going to love it. We need more pics of your bike and the Irish country side, and keep us up to date on your new adventures.

Cienciano wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-v-strom-1000/8491753

Although the photos in the ad aren't great! There were photos on here that were better.
    Goodlad, sort out your photos
    goodlad wrote: »
    Its in for an all year biker clean next Saturday.
    Will be taking loads of photos then.

Lovely bike Goodlad , unfortunately out of my price range for a starting out bike , plus id probably be starting on no bigger than a 650 to begin with and then hopefully work my way up with more expierience .. fairly excited i must say .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

defike wrote: »
    I'm about your age done my test 3 years ago but not much experience since.
    I was looking for a bike for commuting recently and was looking at the Honda NC750X DCT.Its an automatic so people on here wont like it but I think it would be great for commuting.You won't get one secondhand though.9500 euro new.
    P.S was then given a company van so plan shelved.

The honda 50/70/90 gets away with being a semi-automatic, and has proved itself over the years, but a fully automatic 750? :D

Sport mode?Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Rented a Honda 750 nc for my dad when he came over to Switzerland for a bit of touring last summer. He hadn't been on a bike for about 30 years and absolutely loved it. Very easy to drive and has power all across the rev range. Very economical too , think he was getting 80+mpg going up and down the alps though we took it very handy.

Had a go on it myself and found it very easy to drive though I could see myself getting bored with it very quickly, can't throw it around like my ninja 300 but then again it wasn't designed for that either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Can you ride those bikes on a restricted licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I'm 5'9ish and I ride an 1150gs. Have ridden a 990 adventure which is taller again.

Its all in the head, I've seen a woman 5 foot nothing on a 1200 adventure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, I'm 5 foot 10 and had no problem with a 1200gs adventure. You can always get a lower saddle, but they arent cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

The problem with a tall bike is balance, especially when stopping. I've dropped mine twice. Both times I was stopped, and just lost balance, and it went over. Both times it fell on the right side. Scuff marks on the hand guard, but nothing to write home about.

Thankfully I had no trouble getting it back up.

I guess that is just me. I need to get more used to the bike, and how to control it.

Getting the leg over to get on is a challenge, but nothing major. It just takes a little stretch of the leg.

So, the F800GS Adventure is a tall bike, and a heavy bike. But, riding, it is just brilliant. You sit high, you have a good field of view, and you are a lot more visible.

• Advertisement

So, curiosity question - how often do you clean/oil your chain?

Currently I am getting out Saturday and Sunday for a good hour to two hours, and normally two days a week I commute to work on the bike.

I have cleaned the chain fully once and oil it twice a week at the moment. So far it seems in good condition.

I am really enjoying the bike. I need to practice my slow riding and u-turns next.

Nearly time to consider booking my test.

Paulw wrote: »
    So, curiosity question - how often do you clean/oil your chain?

Currently I am getting out Saturday and Sunday for a good hour to two hours, and normally two days a week I commute to work on the bike.

I have cleaned the chain fully once and oil it twice a week at the moment. So far it seems in good condition.

I am really enjoying the bike. I need to practice my slow riding and u-turns next.

Nearly time to consider booking my test.

When I was commuting 5 days a week 70 mile round trip I used to oil twice a week and clean every 3 weeks. The chain is in good condition still.

I'm a forgetful bastard so I just ordered a auto chain oiler :P
    I always used to look at the chain and think "Oh crap... bone dry.. time to oil it"

I'll admit that the first few spins on the bike, I was putting oil on after each trip. Then I realised that the chain was already caked in a waxy grease substance so the oil was not getting near anything.

Once I gave it a good proper clean, then the oil works.

I guess that was factory shipping wax/grease which was thick as hell.

So now I just clean it off infrequently and a drop of oil twice a week.

There is just so much to learn and think about when it's all new, and no one teaches you about these things. What oil to buy, where to buy, how often to clean, how to clean, etc, etc. Thankfully boards has threads that are just full of this type of info. Mind you, if it wasn't for boards I probably wouldn't have really started this biking lark. :D

Now, I just need to get the finger out and join a Sunday meet. :rolleyes:

I'll admit that the first few spins on the bike, I was putting oil on after each trip. Then I realised that the chain was already caked in a waxy grease substance so the oil was not getting near anything.

Once I gave it a good proper clean, then the oil works.

I guess that was factory shipping wax/grease which was thick as hell.

So now I just clean it off infrequently and a drop of oil twice a week.

There is just so much to learn and think about when it's all new, and no one teaches you about these things. What oil to buy, where to buy, how often to clean, how to clean, etc, etc. Thankfully boards has threads that are just full of this type of info. Mind you, if it wasn't for boards I probably wouldn't have really started this biking lark. :D

Now, I just need to get the finger out and join a Sunday meet. :rolleyes:

Dont suppose you were on the N4 yesterday heading back to Dublin? I passed your Bike twin if it was not you.

Dont suppose you were on the N4 yesterday heading back to Dublin? I passed your Bike twin if it was not you.

Wasn't me, I'm in the UK this week. Unless someone stole my bike, it should be well locked up at home. :eek:

Nah, must be just someone on a similar bike. I think there were a few sold around the same time.

Well, I thought I might add some updates in here.

I must admit - I am loving the bike. Less and less I use the car. I take the bike out almost any chance I get, for short or longer trips.

I currently have two sets of textile clothing. The RST Adventure kit, and then I also got the BMW GS Dry suit. I am glad I have two sets of gear, especially with the rain of late. I've been soaked a few times, so nice to have a fully dry set for the next morning.

The bike is a joy to ride. Over 2k on it already. I am feeling fairly confident on it. I am still nervous about going for my test. U-turns are something that I haven't practiced enough. The rest, I would be fairly comfortable with. I guess it is a matter of practice, practice, practice. I admit that I prefer getting out on the roads for a nice long ride, rather than the city commute. A common spin for me would be down the N2 to Slane, then in to Drogheda, and then back home via the N1, and the old roads. I do enjoy the twisty winding roads a lot more than the straight and level sections.

No major scares of late, thankfully. I am more comfortable and confident on the bike and also tend to be cautious. I don't mind sitting behind traffic, rather than trying to be brave and pass vehicles. I have been passed many times by other bikers and they probably scorn me for being so "slow". I can live with that.

Most bikers on the roads are friendly and give a wave or a nod. That seldom happens in the city. I've chatted to a few bikers too. Everyone is very friendly and helpful.

Anyway, I am really loving being on the bike. One of these days, when I have time, I'll go on a rideout or something. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Hey Paul, always good to hear how things are going with the new bike.
    Practice, practice, practice is correct. Slow speed maneuvers are IMHO the most challenging
    I must be the only guy that likes the long straight roads especially when im the only one on the motorway. Very relaxing and therapeutic
    Is lane splitting legal in Ireland? It is in California and absolutely insane I don’t mind waiting either and the GSA is way too big to fit in-between vehicles.
    You’re living my dream man, riding thru the countryside of Ireland

I am hoping to ride in the US next year. Rent a GS and ride around. I was in upper NY state a few weeks ago, and would have loved a bike. But, because I am still a learner, I don't have a license.

But, yeah, the GS is a little big for filtering, but I do a little of it. I won't go for a gap I feel is tight. I do love the height of the bike. Great vision and being able to see over traffic.

Slow riding is fine for me, but it's the slow riding plus turning scares me. I spent two hours last weekend just doing u-turns on a wide unused road in an industrial area. I need to get that right, before I tighten it down more and more for normal street roads.

I must put up a few video clips of riding around the country. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I am hoping to ride in the US next year. Rent a GS and ride around. I was in upper NY state a few weeks ago, and would have loved a bike. But, because I am still a learner, I don't have a license.

But, yeah, the GS is a little big for filtering, but I do a little of it. I won't go for a gap I feel is tight. I do love the height of the bike. Great vision and being able to see over traffic.

Slow riding is fine for me, but it's the slow riding plus turning scares me. I spent two hours last weekend just doing u-turns on a wide unused road in an industrial area. I need to get that right, before I tighten it down more and more for normal street roads.

I must put up a few video clips of riding around the country. Cheers.

The GS is pretty daunting at slow speeds, trick with U turns is keep the head up, counter-intuitive alright. I did a refresher lesson and a pre-test, good to get feedback, can't have enough training.

How do you find the GS suit? I've hopefully a set of RST adventure gear coming this week, assuming fleabay works out. Seems to be the prime midrange gear for lads who ain't minted enough for rukka.

I'm probably in a similar boat to yourself experience wise. Still riding it like a boat and loving it. Do you have your test booked? I'd say do it sooner rather than later. Drop us a PM if you're out the weekend and want to be GS-buddies, all riding around not waving at people and being dentists and solicitors like.

My daunting first recently was laying the GS down in a car park. Zero damage thankfully :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-U4St9RtGo

Advertisement