Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Daunting Firsts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

gerrowadat wrote: »
    The GS is pretty daunting at slow speeds, trick with U turns is keep the head up, counter-intuitive alright. I did a refresher lesson and a pre-test, good to get feedback, can't have enough training.

How do you find the GS suit? I've hopefully a set of RST adventure gear coming this week, assuming fleabay works out. Seems to be the prime midrange gear for lads who ain't minted enough for rukka.

I'm probably in a similar boat to yourself experience wise. Still riding it like a boat and loving it. Do you have your test booked? I'd say do it sooner rather than later. Drop us a PM if you're out the weekend and want to be GS-buddies, all riding around not waving at people and being dentists and solicitors like.

My daunting first recently was laying the GS down in a car park. Zero damage thankfully :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-U4St9RtGo

The 1200 seems a lot easier to pick up than my 800, which I've had down twice. Both times on the side without the sidestand, so it wasn't too bad getting it back up. Damn but it's a heavy beast. All about the technique, and I was lucky to have watched a few of the Harley youtube clips on how to pick a heavy bike up. :D

I really like the GS Dry. Very comfortable and well padded. I really like the RST though, maybe a little more, because of the pockets and the fact that it is modular. I am glad I have two suits and glad that they are both quality and comfortable.

My test isn't booked yet. I must just book it. Then I'll do a pretest. Between now and then, my priority will be u-turns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Paulw wrote: »
    My test isn't booked yet. I must just book it. Then I'll do a pretest. Between now and then, my priority will be u-turns.

Do. I waited 5 months for mine. if U-turns are your biggest worry you should be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Only read your thread there! Congrats on taking the step into biking.

Just a quick question for you, How are you find the adventure gear ? I ordered a set last week and am just waiting it to arrive. Little bit nervous on sizing but I will see when it arrives. Worse comes to worse I can just post it back and wait a little longer.

I started on a 125 and found the U-turns fairly straightforward but obviously that is a smaller bike. I cant imagine a big bike like the 800 being ideal to learn how to u-turn (but I'm sure its possible). I tend to use the clutch and rear-break to make the maneuver as smooth as possible and if it starts to go I just give it a bit of juice and it generally sorts itself out!

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Just a quick question for you, How are you find the adventure gear ?

I started on a 125 and found the U-turns fairly straightforward but obviously that is a smaller bike. I cant imagine a big bike like the 800 being ideal to learn how to u-turn (but I'm sure its possible).

I really like the adventure gear. I found the sizes a little weird. I went for the 2XL size, which is comfortable. Maybe the XL would have been enough, and a tighter and better fit, but the larger size isn't floating on me, and is comfortable with a t-shirt under. I wouldn't be able to put a sweatshirt on under it though. Most normal clothes, an L is fine in t-shirts and sweatshirts.

U-turns are just about my confidence and control. I know I can do it. The bike will turn, so it's down to me. :) It is grand at slow speed and is comfortable. I just need to practice tighter and tighter turns. I was well able to do u-turns on the IBT, but that was on a different bike. The 800 is just tall and heavy but has good control and good low power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The GS is pretty daunting at slow speeds, trick with U turns is keep the head up, counter-intuitive alright. I did a refresher lesson and a pre-test, good to get feedback, can't have enough training.

How do you find the GS suit? I've hopefully a set of RST adventure gear coming this week, assuming fleabay works out. Seems to be the prime midrange gear for lads who ain't minted enough for rukka.

I'm probably in a similar boat to yourself experience wise. Still riding it like a boat and loving it. Do you have your test booked? I'd say do it sooner rather than later. Drop us a PM if you're out the weekend and want to be GS-buddies, all riding around not waving at people and being dentists and solicitors like.

My daunting first recently was laying the GS down in a car park. Zero damage thankfully :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-U4St9RtGo

Next time id pick it up backwards, Whilst you managed it very well there it was have dangerous as you may do your back in doing it that way hell of alot of strain.

Do it the easy way, its near effortless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKe_MOpvKZg

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »

That's the way I've picked up my 800, twice. :rolleyes: But, I haven't dropped it in a number of months now, and will hopefully not do it again, unless I'm offroad riding. :D

listermint wrote: »
    Next time id pick it up backwards, Whilst you managed it very well there it was have dangerous as you may do your back in doing it that way hell of alot of strain.

Yeah, you're right. The wide engine bars meant it wasn't really all the way down (handlebars never went near the ground) and I'm a giant hefty ****er in anyways. Also it went down on the side stand side so I'm always afraid I'll just heft it up and drop it over the other side :-)

Let's hope I don't get to test that again :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well, I thought I might add some updates in here.

I must admit - I am loving the bike. Less and less I use the car. I take the bike out almost any chance I get, for short or longer trips.

I currently have two sets of textile clothing. The RST Adventure kit, and then I also got the BMW GS Dry suit. I am glad I have two sets of gear, especially with the rain of late. I've been soaked a few times, so nice to have a fully dry set for the next morning.

The bike is a joy to ride. Over 2k on it already. I am feeling fairly confident on it. I am still nervous about going for my test. U-turns are something that I haven't practiced enough. The rest, I would be fairly comfortable with. I guess it is a matter of practice, practice, practice. I admit that I prefer getting out on the roads for a nice long ride, rather than the city commute. A common spin for me would be down the N2 to Slane, then in to Drogheda, and then back home via the N1, and the old roads. I do enjoy the twisty winding roads a lot more than the straight and level sections.
    Loads of nice roads around slane. Across to navan, and any of the side roads going north are great.

Have to laugh at that bike drop! Fair play for sharing! Dropped my adventure a few times, zero damage thanks to the engine bars.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/ is a brilliant resource btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well, I thought I might add some updates in here.

I must admit - I am loving the bike. Less and less I use the car. I take the bike out almost any chance I get, for short or longer trips.

I currently have two sets of textile clothing. The RST Adventure kit, and then I also got the BMW GS Dry suit. I am glad I have two sets of gear, especially with the rain of late. I've been soaked a few times, so nice to have a fully dry set for the next morning.

The bike is a joy to ride. Over 2k on it already. I am feeling fairly confident on it. I am still nervous about going for my test. U-turns are something that I haven't practiced enough. The rest, I would be fairly comfortable with. I guess it is a matter of practice, practice, practice. I admit that I prefer getting out on the roads for a nice long ride, rather than the city commute. A common spin for me would be down the N2 to Slane, then in to Drogheda, and then back home via the N1, and the old roads. I do enjoy the twisty winding roads a lot more than the straight and level sections.

No major scares of late, thankfully. I am more comfortable and confident on the bike and also tend to be cautious. I don't mind sitting behind traffic, rather than trying to be brave and pass vehicles. I have been passed many times by other bikers and they probably scorn me for being so "slow". I can live with that.

Most bikers on the roads are friendly and give a wave or a nod. That seldom happens in the city. I've chatted to a few bikers too. Everyone is very friendly and helpful.

Anyway, I am really loving being on the bike. One of these days, when I have time, I'll go on a rideout or something. :o

I bet I have passed you many a time without even knowing it, I live around slane and I am always out and about. Deffo have to meet up for a frothy cappacino or the like m8. Two of us are out tomorrow for a gentle spin around the royal county and beyond.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I bet I have passed you many a time without even knowing it.

Probably. :D Not that many L vests on F800GS riders. :rolleyes: I'm feeling a lot more comfortable, so will try now to be more social on the bike, and meet up with others. All depends on free time. :cool:

• Advertisement

New lad buys the Ice Creams, its an un-written rule in relation to hard core bikers!!!

A first, but not as daunting as it could have been since I caught it at home.

rH2qzGD.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

So, yeah, I'm new to this stuff. Been driving a car a good number of years, and decided I would like the freedom of a bike, to leave the car for the wife and kid.

From one who has retired from biking after 25 years and perhaps 10,000 times that in miles up.

1. Consider the freedom of a bike in terms of it's ability to get to from A to B more quickly than a car and being able to park right outside where it is you want to go. Don't consider biking as a wind-in-your-face, carefree pursuit. You might start out like that but only through ignorance. You will, if you survive, come to learn it about defending yourself (which is on a par with fighter aircraft dogfighting - no such pilot would consider it a carefree pursuit). Best to set your psychology like that from the off

2. The single most essential element you need in your armory is roadcraft. Prevention at that level is far better than the cure provided by any safety gear you could purchase. Whatever about training for licencing purposes, its the training you get from someone focused on roadcraft that matters. From a self-preservation perspective, I'd take to the road without a licence and insurance faster than I'd take to the road without as much supervised roadcraft as I could muster/afford. You ought to be looking for something that sees you out with a trainer either individually or with one other with intercom communication/observational instruction as you ride. 4-5 hours at a session with as many sessions as it takes ( 4, 5, 6, 7 ...). Take the trainers advice on your being suitably prepared to venture out alone. Not cheap but then again, neither is reconstructive surgery / funeral expenses.

3. Make sure the bike you buy is in good condition: brakes and tyres especially. I'd immediately replace the tyres for good quality new ones since you've no idea what the history of the tyres that are on it will be. Tyres, a credit card sized contact patch at each end, are your only interaction with the road.

4. Spend plenty of time getting hours up (post training) before you even think about commuting in traffic. You want to get yourself as comfortable with handling a bike in less-threatening situations before you enter the dogfight.

5. Err strongly on the side of presuming you don't know anything like enough about the dangers out there and ride accordingly. Your most lethal enemy is presumption that you have this thing down anything like pat. You need to get your guard up, even when you don't know what you're getting your guard up for. And never, ever let it down. Maintain that view for the next 5 years (assuming you ride most days)

Enjoy!

1. Consider the freedom of a bike in terms of it's ability to get to from A to B more quickly than a car and being able to park right outside where it is you want to go.

It was freedom in that I can take the bike any time I want/need, rather than having to discuss with the wife who needs the car more. :D
    2. The single most essential element you need in your armory is roadcraft.

A continuous process. The IBT was a great starting point, with a great instructor, but that was only the starting step. As well as watching, learning, riding, I also read a good bit on good biking (Motorcycle Roadcraft), and watch plenty of youtube clips - for the good and bad stuff. But, I am someone who likes learning, and know I am only taking the first steps.
    3. Make sure the bike you buy is in good condition

Bike is quality, brand new, already been serviced once, and I do the regular checks to make sure it stays in good condition.

4. Spend plenty of time getting hours up (post training) before you even think about commuting in traffic. You want to get yourself as comfortable with handling a bike in less-threatening situations before you enter the dogfight.

Took me a good few weeks being on the bike before I considered commuting. Much easier to practice on quieter roads - changing gears, starting/stopping, turns, etc. After now being at it 8 months, I am much more comfortable commuting, but still take it handy.
    5. Err strongly on the side of presuming you don't know anything like enough about the dangers out there and ride accordingly.

Yep, always. In most things I do, I always consider myself a learner, no matter how long I am at it.
    Enjoy!

I really am. I ride almost any chance I get. Just a spin around the local roads, a little trip further or just to get out for the day. Any little bit of practice. I even spend some time in a nearby carpark, practicing stopping, starting, tight turns, slow speed riding, etc. It's all about practice, patience and enjoyment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

It was freedom in that I can take the bike any time I want/need, rather than having to discuss with the wife who needs the car more. :D

A continuous process. The IBT was a great starting point, with a great instructor, but that was only the starting step. As well as watching, learning, riding, I also read a good bit on good biking (Motorcycle Roadcraft), and watch plenty of youtube clips - for the good and bad stuff. But, I am someone who likes learning, and know I am only taking the first steps.

Bike is quality, brand new, already been serviced once, and I do the regular checks to make sure it stays in good condition.

Took me a good few weeks being on the bike before I considered commuting. Much easier to practice on quieter roads - changing gears, starting/stopping, turns, etc. After now being at it 8 months, I am much more comfortable commuting, but still take it handy.

Yep, always. In most things I do, I always consider myself a learner, no matter how long I am at it.

I really am. I ride almost any chance I get. Just a spin around the local roads, a little trip further or just to get out for the day. Any little bit of practice. I even spend some time in a nearby carpark, practicing stopping, starting, tight turns, slow speed riding, etc. It's all about practice, patience and enjoyment.

Ah.. I remember those days well. I used to get up in the middle of the night to go for a spin. There's nothing like riding around at 5am when the light is good, roads dry and not a soul around.

See if you can get your braking down to the point where you can bring the bike to a rapid halt from 60mph, in the wet, with the back wheel coming into the air. The great thing about a bike whose front end is letting go is that releasing the front brake will see it magically right itself.

All the other stuff you learn is valuable but when all has deserted you and you're still heading for trouble, the ability to bring it to a controlled stop on a sixpence will stand you good stead.

All the very best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

One daunting first that I had and id still be a bit apprehensive is going up the ramp onto the ferry. The thoughts of loosing it while riding up on the wet steel ramp scared the sh1t out of me.

jvan wrote: »
    One daunting first that I had and id still be a bit apprehensive is going up the ramp onto the ferry. The thoughts of loosing it while riding up on the wet steel ramp scared the sh1t out of me.

Yeah, bet that was an interesting one. Gotta keep the revs up and keep her moving.

Another daunting first for me today - joining a boards Sunday Spin. But, in saying that, the guys were super friendly and very welcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Watched the vid, wow, some people have thin skin

Otherwise looked like a nice day for a ride, even the Irish weather showed up

The weather played it's part. We had everything - sun, wind, rain. But, I enjoyed it. Learned a bit too. Some things I did wrong, and a good few things to improve on. Overall it was very good.

I'll post up some video shortly of my view of it.

All in good fun, I was feeling particularly vulnerable after exposing my delightful bike-dropping learning experience and lashed out. I was more monster than human. I've learned my lesson let me tell you.

• Advertisement

All in good fun

Definitely all good fun. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

wow, some people have thin skin

Do you mean when he said "Fûck off"?

Shur that's how we greet each other where I'm from!

Otherwise looked like a nice day for a ride, even the Irish weather showed up

Jaysus mate, you would be on prozac and have the samaritans on speed dial if you went for a sunday spin!!!!!

Well, my first year of biking is now up, since I got my learner permit. WOW, what a year.

I will be doing my full test soon. Nervous as hell about it. Not the general riding, but being watched, observed and marked. Hopefully I will do it right, and pass the test. Time will tell.

This week I did some further lessons - a pre-test lesson and also an insurance assessment. Very interesting, and I learned how I have to improve in some specific areas. The u-turn is still a concern for me. It is all down to me, and my head. The bike is more than capable of turning in the space. But, when on the lesson and practicing, I dropped the bike again. I snatched the front brake and went over. Stupid, stupid, stupid!! :mad: So furious with myself.

Anyway, I will continue to practice, and continue to improve, and hopefully pass the test. Then, next year, I will look towards some advanced rider training, and maybe even a trip abroad on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Well, my first year of biking is now up, since I got my learner permit. WOW, what a year.

I will be doing my full test soon. Nervous as hell about it. Not the general riding, but being watched, observed and marked. Hopefully I will do it right, and pass the test. Time will tell.

This week I did some further lessons - a pre-test lesson and also an insurance assessment. Very interesting, and I learned how I have to improve in some specific areas. The u-turn is still a concern for me. It is all down to me, and my head. The bike is more than capable of turning in the space. But, when on the lesson and practicing, I dropped the bike again. I snatched the front brake and went over. Stupid, stupid, stupid!! :mad: So furious with myself.

Anyway, I will continue to practice, and continue to improve, and hopefully pass the test. Then, next year, I will look towards some advanced rider training, and maybe even a trip abroad on the bike.

What weather type peeves you off most? The fog the last few nights is a nightmare for me.

What weather type peeves you off most? The fog the last few nights is a nightmare for me.

Wet - I am used to being out in the rain and getting wet. On the bike though, the visor tends to either fog up a bit, or rain on the visor makes it harder to see through. Also, there is less grip on the road. I tend to take it slower, but maintain decent speed, to give the bike stability.

Fog - oh man. I hate it even in a cage. Mostly because of other stupid drivers, who don't seem to know what lights are for. It's not purely to see, but it is also so that you can be seen. On the bike - again, visor visibility can be an issue.

Sun - Those sunny days can be very hot. Decent ventilation in the suit is nice. I don't mind being a bit warm. But, a glaring sun can be a challenge. Thankfully my lid has a built in sun visor, which is good. That sun can be a challenge.

Frost - I haven't had that experience yet. Time will tell.

So, with weather - anything that fogs up my visor or impacts on my ability to see definitely bothers me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Wet - I am used to being out in the rain and getting wet. On the bike though, the visor tends to either fog up a bit, or rain on the visor makes it harder to see through. Also, there is less grip on the road. I tend to take it slower, but maintain decent speed, to give the bike stability.

Fog - oh man. I hate it even in a cage. Mostly because of other stupid drivers, who don't seem to know what lights are for. It's not purely to see, but it is also so that you can be seen. On the bike - again, visor visibility can be an issue.

Sun - Those sunny days can be very hot. Decent ventilation in the suit is nice. I don't mind being a bit warm. But, a glaring sun can be a challenge. Thankfully my lid has a built in sun visor, which is good. That sun can be a challenge.

Frost - I haven't had that experience yet. Time will tell.

So, with weather - anything that fogs up my visor or impacts on my ability to see definitely bothers me.

I pretty much had to stay behind a car for 35 mins last night on the N4. It was the safest way to travel in the fog. For the last 10 mins of my commute I had to leave the visor totally open. Visibility was maybe 15 feet.

I have done frost before and its just a matter of taking it very handy. If its going to be minus degrees ill use the motorway this winter. There is a much better chance for the motorway of been gritted than the N4.

Fair play to you and others that only commute on a bike. I plan on getting rid of my car asap and going 100% bike. This winter will be a real test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Don't touch the front brake for the uturn, touching the front brake in a tight turn with the bike upright will make you drop the bike. I learned that the hard way, on Pearse Street going between cars in rush hour traffic!
    You probably know that you're supposed to use the back brake, but personally I always found it easier to slip the clutch

That was one thing my pre-test lad said that the IBT chap never did. Back brake only below 50kph or at slow street speeds. When on the u-turn, take your fingers off the front brake entirely.

• Advertisement

Yep, front brake is a major no-no, as I have learned too. Back brake is more than enough. I very seldom use the front brake anyway, but for some stupid reason, that time, I just snatched at it.

I went for a little spin after work today, did a number of u-turns. One went wrong, but I just stopped, put my foot down, and then moved off. After that, did a number just fine. Slipping the clutch, using back brake too, and just looking in the right space and letting the bike follow.

The bike can turn tight, very tight, so it is just my head and my control that let the bike down. When it comes to the test, I just need to relax, remember my positioning, my lifesavers, and then slow control riding. It's not too complex.

If I fail, I won't post here for a while, but if I pass, I will let people know. :D

Advertisement