Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Thinking of getting Apple TV

• 13-08-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭

At present I have sky multi room in sitting room, kids mostly watching in there. I am thinking of removing multi room and just using the magic eye in there, but also thinking of getting Apple TV with Netflix.

Anything I should look for, be aware of, or are there better options out there instead of Apple TV.

Appreciate any info, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

If it's just netflix you want, there's no need to go to the expense of an ATV. I've got a Roku LT in the bedroom. Does the job perfectly. I also stream stuff from the computer through Plex without an issue.

I've an Apple TV in the sitting room, and to be honest, since buying a smart TV last year, it's hardly used at all.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roku-2400EU-Receiver-Set-Top-Box/dp/B006VTASUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407939102&sr=8-1&keywords=roku+lt

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gnote2

im using minix neo x7. android box.. using it for xbmc and also streaming live tv, football live streaming.. it's quite good and free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Apple TV is good if you have other Apple devices to airplay to it.
    I barely use the Apple TV directly, it's all airplay streaming from my iPad or iPhone, even for netflix I stream it from the iPad as the interface is much nicer and it acts like a nice remote.
    I will also note the iPad easily supports VPNs.

If you don't have other apple devices though then there are many other boxes to choose from like the roku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Wait, does Netflix stream in Ireland from iOS to Atv?

I might get one for the Daddy. He has iPhone / iPad, and our Boxee Box is showing its age.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

banquo wrote: »

I might get one for the Daddy. He has iPhone / iPad, and our Boxee Box is showing its age.

Why would you, Banquo? Netflix is built into ATv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

banquo wrote: »

There's a Netflix app on the apple TV itself so you don't need your Ipad/phone to view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

dloob wrote: »
    Apple TV is good if you have other Apple devices to airplay to it.
    I barely use the Apple TV directly, it's all airplay streaming from my iPad or iPhone, even for netflix I stream it from the iPad as the interface is much nicer and it acts like a nice remote.
    I will also note the iPad easily supports VPNs.

If you don't have other apple devices though then there are many other boxes to choose from like the roku.

We both have iPhones and iPads, to be honest I don't know what AirPlay means!! I am just trying to cut down on monthly subscriptions, not sure what one is best to go with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I AirPlay Netflix UK to the Apple TV, I have The Apple TV set up for the US Netflix.

I wouldn't buy an Apple TV now though. There's an update due in September/October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

A few months back we decided to cancel sky , you still get a lot of channels through free view , just remove your sky card .
    Both my partner and myself have I phones and a I pad so we decided to get Apple TV , we have Netflix for free through brother in laws account and kids love the children's program's on Netflix , I might add also c beebies is free on sky and kids love that as well .
    Mrs watches soaps on catch up TV through I phone and I watch documenteys on Netflix and sometimes I'll scroll sky documentary's and just do a search on YouTube and find it on there , I just airplay or mirror it on Apple TV through I phone ,
    All in all we're delighted , we're saving 30 quid a month and haven't missed it a single bit .

Thanks for all replies. We are going to keep sky sports in the kitchen, we would like to have the Irish channels in the sitting room, especially in the winter.
    Don't think we can get rte etc on an Apple TV box. When ye mention all these abbreviations I have no idea what they relate to, sorry!!
    If someone could explain to me in very basic terms what I would need, either apple or android and what you do in regard to airplay, streaming etc I would be very grateful. Apologies for lack of knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

AirPlay = the Apple word for streaming from your iPhone or iPad or Mac.

Apple TV often abbreviated to ATV.

We both have iPhones and iPads, to be honest I don't know what AirPlay means!! I am just trying to cut down on monthly subscriptions, not sure what one is best to go with.

Basically it lets you play something on your iPad or iPhone and have it appear on the apple tv.
    So lets say I'm looking at the RTE player on the iPad, I can tell it to airplay to the apple tv and now everyone can watch it on the tv.
    I also tend to use Netflix that way instead of the version built into the apple tv, which I find a bit clunky.
    It's nice to have the keyboard to type things on instead of using the apple tv remote to select individual letters.

Basically it lets you play something on your iPad or iPhone and have it appear on the apple tv.
    So lets say I'm looking at the RTE player on the iPad, I can tell it to airplay to the apple tv and now everyone can watch it on the tv.
    I also tend to use Netflix that way instead of the version built into the apple tv, which I find a bit clunky.
    It's nice to have the keyboard to type things on instead of using the apple tv remote to select individual letters.

Thank you very much for explaining that. Makes sense now!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you Airplay say Netflix or something from iTunes, is it 1080p?

If you Airplay say Netflix or something from iTunes, is it 1080p?

I believe it is.
    I'll give it a try tomorrow to make sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Apologies for hijacking this thread but my question is (kinda) relevant...

How do I go about watching the TV shows and movies stored on my macbook on my smart TV. I am aware I can connect them via HDMI but the location of the TV doesn't lend itself to this... I have an XBOX 360 which allows me connect an older windows based laptop via the media centre but I don't think its possible to connect the macbook in the same way. I would but the Apple TV device if I thought this would solve my problem or would I be better off with something like a Roku box??

Any help appreciated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Apple TV does what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Zcott wrote: »
    Apple TV does what you need.

I don't know if it's the same with MacBooks, but iMacs have to be a certain age (post 2011 I think) for airplay to work. I know airplay doesn't work on my one (early 2009)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Is that not just for AirPlay mirroring? I know it definitely doesn't work on older hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Cheers lads, I'll look into getting Apple TV, I thought it had to be jail broken to play downloaded movies etc
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

If your mac etc is pre 2011 air parrot is what you need free trail version available hope that helps someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I AirPlay Netflix UK to the Apple TV, I have The Apple TV set up for the US Netflix.

I wouldn't buy an Apple TV now though. There's an update due in September/October.

I've waited the last 2 Years+ for an update, not convinced we'll see one this year either. The rumour mill for the ATV is quiet this year. If there is an update this year, I reckon it'll be software focused - hopefully an open SDK, and an App Store.

Agreed on the Airplay comments - it's one of the main features of the Apple TV, and seeing as the Apps on the ATV is limited, it's a decent workaround to display media on your TV.

Get your hands on a VPN, get the BBC iPlayer App, TVCatchUp, ITV Player, Netflix in other regions, etc. and it turns into a great cord-cutting solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭iniall

If you have an iPhone or iPad, download the free Remote app, it's much handier than the physical remote that comes with the AppleTV.

Dman001 wrote: »
    I've waited the last 2 Years+ for an update, not convinced we'll see one this year either. The rumour mill for the ATV is quiet this year. If there is an update this year, I reckon it'll be software focused - hopefully an open SDK, and an App Store.

Agreed on the Airplay comments - it's one of the main features of the Apple TV, and seeing as the Apps on the ATV is limited, it's a decent workaround to display media on your TV.

Get your hands on a VPN, get the BBC iPlayer App, TVCatchUp, ITV Player, Netflix in other regions, etc. and it turns into a great cord-cutting solution.

What is VPN and how do you get Netflix in other regions, about to get Netflix so would be handy to know, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

What is VPN and how do you get Netflix in other regions, about to get Netflix so would be handy to know, thank you.

You'll have to search on Google. Boards has started getting strict on the discussion of this.
    Sigh... Seeking to circumvent copyright restrictions based on territory, is still seeking to circumvent copyright restrictions. Banned.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91686316&postcount=14

I have done a good bit of research today regarding Apple TV or roku and it seemed to me that the roku box came out better.

Now thinking of getting that and seemingly there is an app you can download that allows your phone or iPad to double as a remote control, like the Apple TV!!

Anyone and other ideas as to which is the better?????? Thank you......

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

I have done a good bit of research today regarding Apple TV or roku and it seemed to me that the roku box came out better.

Now thinking of getting that and seemingly there is an app you can download that allows your phone or iPad to double as a remote control, like the Apple TV!!

Anyone and other ideas as to which is the better?????? Thank you......

For me, AirPlay is the best feature of the Apple TV. You don't get that with the Roku (I think!)

Advertisement