Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliable Family Campervan

Options
  • 13-08-2014 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi All,
    My wife and I are seriously contemplating purchasing our first second hand campervan. We are ideally looking for a 4 or 6 berth, 2 kids so maybe six berth would be more comfortable. Left or right hand drive doesn’t matter. Our budget is less that 30 grand, although I have been able to haggle some prices down.
    I am looking to get some opinions on what would be the best or most reliable chassis/engine base for the home. I have had my eye on a 2007 Fiat 2.3 Multijet (Rated at 4005KG) but have just come across what appears to be a major problem regarding juddering in reverse gear which can lead to gear box/clutch replacements. It looks pretty scary online reading various forums. Has anyone had this problem or is it a problem with just an unlucky few?
    We have viewed a few campers already, one in Dublin which had low mileage and beautifully clean inside and out. It was pretty much parked up by the owner as unfortunately illness struck so they are trying to sell. It was a Ford 2007 with rear twin wheel drive. Now, the only issue I had with this one was that when I looked underneath it at the front I could see rust on the front frame, steering links/drop links small signs on the steel wheels etc. I was told that it was just surface rust and it would be a good idea now to lightly sand it down and treat it with stone guard spray or something like that I remember. Should I stay clear from something like this? Do Fords tend to suffer from the rust? It has just been serviced, Oil, Air fuel filters. Has DOE until 2015.
    I have a C license, but am wondering if I am better buying a van rated under 3500KG as I am thinking it might be a lot easier to sell on later as it can be legally driven with a normal B car license?
    I would really appreciate any advice anyone would have on the above before we take the plunge!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I'd want the 3 liter engine for a really heavy van like that. The reversing judder is common, fiat completely denied it for a long time while peugeot remapped the ecu to change the torque limiter for reverse, later peugeot replaced reverse gear or complete boxes in some vans, fiat changed engine mountings. It could also be avoided by simply not reversing uphill lol. There was also major problems with water ingress on that model the windscreen scuttle was very badly designed and dumped water onto the engine, injectors and loom. So check for rust / evidence of water ingress under the bonnet and that the alterations have been made to prevent it.

Regarding the transit any vehicle thats been standing will have rust especially if its been standing on gravel/grit or grass where you have a constant cycle of condensation, you'll also find discs and drums can be badly pitted where the pads/shoes rested unless its been moved regularly and wheelbearing bearing can fail withing a few thousand miles of being driven again, you can have corrosion on shaft sealing surfaces, alternator bearings etc. Then again if the surfaces aren't pitted and the price was cheap I wouldn't worry too much.

Having 3500 gvw definitely increases the market for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

moodrater wrote: »
    I'd want the 3 liter engine for a really heavy van like that. The reversing judder is common, fiat completely denied it for a long time while peugeot remapped the ecu to change the torque limiter for reverse, later peugeot replaced reverse gear or complete boxes in some vans, fiat changed engine mountings. It could also be avoided by simply not reversing uphill lol. There was also major problems with water ingress on that model the windscreen scuttle was very badly designed and dumped water onto the engine, injectors and loom. So check for rust / evidence of water ingress under the bonnet and that the alterations have been made to prevent it.

Regarding the transit any vehicle thats been standing will have rust especially if its been standing on gravel/grit or grass where you have a constant cycle of condensation, you'll also find discs and drums can be badly pitted where the pads/shoes rested unless its been moved regularly and wheelbearing bearing can fail withing a few thousand miles of being driven again, you can have corrosion on shaft sealing surfaces, alternator bearings etc. Then again if the surfaces aren't pitted and the price was cheap I wouldn't worry too much.

Having 3500 gvw definitely increases the market for sale.

Thanks for that information, much appreciated. In relation to the reverse judder with the Fiat, did the same problem exist with the later 2010 Peugot 2.2HDI 100bhp model? I know they are very similiar engines but just wondering would the problem have been eliminated on the 2010 year. I think it's a 5 speed too but not sure. Yes I'm better keeping within the 3500KG, just in case we decide to sell for whatever reason...Agree with you about the 3L too...heavy bus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Almost unheard of now , most vans that people complained of had the engine mounts changed . I know a few Fiat guys , and they told me the only complaints they ever got were from campervan owners....

The 2.2 Ford Engined Boxer/Ducato is one of my favourites , and I don't like Fords! Reliable , torquey , smooth and good on fuel.

Rust is a common Transit issue... always was.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Almost unheard of now , most vans that people complained of had the engine mounts changed . I know a few Fiat guys , and they told me the only complaints they ever got were from campervan owners....

The 2.2 Ford Engined Boxer/Ducato is one of my favourites , and I don't like Fords! Reliable , torquey , smooth and good on fuel.

Rust is a common Transit issue... always was.

Hmm, why just campervan owners complaining I wonder, was it just because of the heavier laods they were pulling or not driving correctly??

Quick one relating to this engine, i.e the 2010 Peugeot Boxer 2.2 HDI 100 BHP:

1: Does it have a DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel)
    2: Does it have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)
    3: Does it have a timing belt or a chain?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Lanshane wrote: »
    Hmm, why just campervan owners complaining I wonder, was it just because of the heavier laods they were pulling or not driving correctly??

Dare I say that certain motorhome owners may not be as familiar with driving large vehicles as some...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Several factors I'd say. Only a small percentage of work vans would be loaded anything like a camper is 24/7 and the weight some manufacturers put on their chassis is just ridiculous, they buy the lightest chassis with the smallest engine and lightest suspension, springs, brakes, hubs, driveshafts and then do 'uprate' it rather than buying the heavy chassis to begin with.

On the Iother hand I find myself telling others to change down, change up, stop slipping the clutch etc. cause they seem to be deaf to the sounds of labouring engines, juddering clutches and banging dmfs.

Thirdly theres a definite hypochondria among some motorhome owners when they read things in forums and magazines an awful lot of parts get changed for no good reason.
    Quick one relating to this engine, i.e the 2010 Peugeot Boxer 2.2 HDI 100 BHP:

1: Does it have a DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel)
    2: Does it have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)
    3: Does it have a timing belt or a chain?

Cheers
    Yes dmf, practically everything has one now.
    You can check by signing up to public.servicebox.peugeot.com if it has dpf but I don't think so.
    Timing chain.

Didn't think peugeot did a 100 version, the 100 has a good bit lower torque than the 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

moodrater wrote: »
    Thirdly theres a definite hypochondria among some motorhome owners when they read things in forums and magazines an awful lot of parts get changed for no good reason.
    Also, someone who's ponied up for a brand new motorhome is also going to care for their vehicle a lot more than some builder handed the keys to a van by their boss.

Advertisement