Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panda won't take brown bin back...!!!

Options
  • 13-08-2014 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

I called Panda to tell them I don't want the brown bin anymore...I've tenants in my house and every time I go over the bin is stinking, with flies and maggots and even dog poo in it the other day...I just want a black and green bin...Woman from Panda tells me its the law to have a brown bin even though I don't have to use it, that there has to be one on my property..???
    Are there other waste companies that don't insist on a brown bin??? Anyone any opinions on this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    I called Panda to tell them I don't want the brown bin anymore...I've tenants in my house and every time I go over the bin is stinking, with flies and maggots and even dog poo in it the other day...I just want a black and green bin...Woman from Panda tells me its the law to have a brown bin even though I don't have to use it, that there has to be one on my property..???
    Are there other waste companies that don't insist on a brown bin??? Anyone any opinions on this???

It's usually small enough to to fit in the green bin. Pop it in the green bin and recycle it

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Still think it's nonsense. 4 bins is taking the piss now.
    The Regulations impose obligations on both householders and waste collectors. Householders are obliged to segregate their food waste, and make it available for separate collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Not nonsense, check your facts before talking shyte

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/FoodWasteRegulations/
    Waste collectors are required to provide a separate collection service for household food waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

Thanks for that link...I had no idea that law existed..that you're not allowed put food waste into the black bin if there's a brown bin available...Ah well, I'll have to sign up to the bin washing service and pay Panda even more money. Appreciate the feedback..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Not nonsense, check your facts before talking shyte

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/FoodWasteRegulations/

Is that not what the black bin is for? We are in dl and don't have a brown bin. Only green and black.

• Advertisement

I'm in south Dublin and we all have brown bins...I just didn't realise about not being able to put food waste in black bin...That link posted cleared it up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Wow didn't realise that either - figured it was optional rather than a legal obligation.

I only use the brown bin for garden waste (e.g. hedge/plant trimmings).

It's disgusting otherwise especially with only fortnightly collections - particularly in the Summer with the heat and the flies etc. Plus our waste collection company won't allow the use of biodegradable bags.

Well, that's one law I am going to continue to break until at least collection companies are directed to allow suitable bags to be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

joeguevara wrote: »
    Is that not what the black bin is for? We are in dl and don't have a brown bin. Only green and black.

They are rolling them out. It is a requirement to brown bin food, grass cuttings unless you compost yourself.
    Brown bins are cheaper than black bins.
    We have very little rubbish left in our black bin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

pandoraj09 wrote: »

I know more than a few people who scratch off the identifiers and simply leave the bin at the pandas (or whoever the provider is) premises. I would be doing the same if i was in your position.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Wow didn't realise that either - figured it was optional rather than a legal obligation.

I only use the brown bin for garden waste (e.g. hedge/plant trimmings).

It's disgusting otherwise especially with only fortnightly collections - particularly in the Summer with the heat and the flies etc. Plus our waste collection company won't allow the use of biodegradable bags.

Well, that's one law I am going to continue to break until at least collection companies are directed to allow suitable bags to be used.

Greenstar accepts bio bags. You can also line it with newspaper and add some between layers to help with smells. Works fine for us...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭josip

mhge wrote: »
    They are rolling them out. It is a requirement to brown bin food, grass cuttings unless you compost yourself.
    We have very little rubbish left in our black bin now.

For many people, brown bins work out more expensive due to the standing charge

josip wrote: »
    For many people, brown bins work out more expensive due to the standing charge

Standing charge is cheaper too. I can't find online prices for Greenstar but it's €22 in Panda, vs. €64 for black bin.

The point is that we barely use our black bin now, maybe for dog waste or things like soiled kitchen sink sponges. Pretty much everything else is either recycling or compost, glass bank, WEEE disposal or charity shops. Brown bin is paying for it's standing charge very quickly if you are using it lots.
    Seriously it makes sense to embrace it (metaphorically speaking).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks Crunchie we've none of that nonsense where I'm living (South Dublin)
    One black bin + a big shared green bin. That's it.

To be fair most of my waste goes in the green bin so the black bin only goes out every now and then but I would in my feck be messing around with brown bins as well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Brown bin is an option where I am (Greystones) - 2 bins clogging up my garden is enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The Regulations impose obligations on both householders and waste collectors. Householders are obliged to segregate their food waste, and make it available for separate collection. Alternatively householders may compost the food waste at home; or bring it to authorised treatment facilities (such as civic amenity sites or anaerobic digestion sites) themselves.

Where a source-segregated collection for food waste is available, householders are not allowed to dispose of food waste in the residual waste collection service (the Black Bin).

Who is going to be checking that householders are not putting food waste into their black bins instead of using the Sh1t-smelly brown bins? Will that be more for the Litter Wardens or will a new Quango be created?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Who is going to be checking that householders are not putting food waste into their black bins instead of using the Sh1t-smelly brown bins? Will that be more for the Litter Wardens or will a new Quango be created?

They can only check really when the bin goes out for collection - can't enter your domestic dwelling without permission or a court order. Authorised persons carry out the inspection and they are authorised under Regulations - so probably local authority staff (waste management).

foggy_lad wrote: »

They see it as they empty the bins into the lorry. Same thing as checking for wrong items in recycling bins (otherwise people would do it as it's free to lift it).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If the brown bin is smelly why do you think putting it into the black bin is going to fix the problem? The food will stink no matter where you put it...

They see it as they empty the bins into the lorry. Same thing as checking for wrong items in recycling bins (otherwise people would do it as it's free to lift it).

highly unlikely though.
    I didn't know this Regulation existed and I always put food waste into the black bin (albeit it is in a tied plastic bag (usually a black bag)).

I can't see them opening up tied bags to check.
    I also don't think that the binmen would be authorised officers at this point. The binmen only check the greenbin for commercial reasons.

irish_goat wrote: »
    If the brown bin is smelly why do you think putting it into the black bin is going to fix the problem? The food will stink no matter where you put it...

My own situation is that I can put food waste in the kitchen bin (which is lined with a plastic bag). Every day or two (depending on usage) I take the kitchen bin out, tie up the bag and put in the black wheelie bin.

I can't use biodegradable bags in the brown bin, meaning that I would have to put food waste directly into the brown bin (i.e. not in a sealed bag).

I had a terrible experience of that two summers' ago - bin stinking, flies and maggots crawling all over the place - was disgusting. Shortly after it was emptied a guy knocked at the door (doing the rounds) with a wheelie bin clean service for like €15 and I got him to clean it out. Apart from Garden waste I haven't used it since.

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    I can't use biodegradable bags in the brown bin, meaning that I would have to put food waste directly into the brown bin (i.e. not in a sealed bag).

You can use "compostable" bags i.e. starch ones.

Biodegradable ≠ compostable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Mine is more expensive, the bin is half the price but less than half the size.

Can't use plastic bags in the brown bin.

GarIT wrote: »
    Can't use plastic bags in the brown bin.

See my post above, you can use starch bags. Or failing that, wrap it all in newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Returned my Brown bin to Greyhound a few weeks ago.

See my post above, you can use starch bags. Or failing that, wrap it all in newspaper.

I use the green biodegradable plastic bags, but they are useless and fall apart. Our bin is also lined with a large plastic bag. It still stinks though and the black bin never did.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

+1

Have a separate small kitchen bin and use one of the compostable bags to line it. Throw the whole lot into the brown bin whenever you need to.

No more smelly bin.

OP, tell your tenants to either use the compostable bags or wash the bin after every collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

They are not a legal requirement if you compost your own waste. They tried to dump one on me but I rang and said I wouldn't use and they dropped the standing charge. They are a total rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Thanks Crunchie we've none of that nonsense where I'm living (South Dublin)

You will soon. It's being rolled out as a requirement by population volume.

If you use them properly, they don't smell any more than the black bin and if you've no garden or simply don't have any need for self-composting (I could never use what's produced from a home composter) you'll save a very tiny amount of money generally.

• Advertisement

Where can I get these compostable/starch bags? The bin stinks as food is put directly into it. Those bags sound like a good idea. I checked the bill and the brown bin is cheaper than the black one. My problem now is its stinking and the bottom of it has gunk and gooey stuff and it turns my stomach so I can't clean it myself...Is there anyone providing one-off bin washes? Panda tells me I have to sign up to a regular service, not just when I want. Thanks for all the feedback on this!

Advertisement