Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Further education opportunities for arts graduates

• 13-08-2014 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,
    I got my leaving cert results today and by the looks of it i'll be doing arts in UCD, which was my fourth choice. I wanted to do psychology, but that doesn't seem likely to happen now. If I do well in arts, and do a few relevant extra-curriculars, what are my chances of being accepted into a H-Dip programme in psychology after I graduate?

Also, generally speaking, what are the prospects for arts graduates with respect to masters degrees, etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

You have a lot of options for psychology as a postgrad. You can do a recognised HDip online via some UK unis too that has BPS recognition. Just check out the grades required in your bachelors degree for entry and aim for that. Most conversion type masters are open to arts grads, just make sure you have the 2.1 minimum that is usually required, be wise with your subject choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jammysticks

You have a lot of options for psychology as a postgrad. You can do a recognised HDip online via some UK unis too that has BPS recognition. Just check out the grades required in your bachelors degree for entry and aim for that. Most conversion type masters are open to arts grads, just make sure you have the 2.1 minimum that is usually required, be wise with your subject choice.

Thanks! When you say to be wise with the subject choice, do you mean that I should choose subjects I am good at, or that I should choose subjects that are in some way related to psychology? Would I have better chances if i did, say, sociology, as opposed to History?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Don't.

My advice would be do a course with more focus. You need not pursue that directly but it will be a million times easier to gain work experience - the real key to mobility.

An Arts degree is nigh on useless (I completed one in 2002). Might as well not have had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jammysticks

quad_red wrote: »
    Don't.

My advice would be do a course with more focus. You need not pursue that directly but it will be a million times easier to gain work experience - the real key to mobility.

An Arts degree is nigh on useless (I completed one in 2002). Might as well not have had it.

Unfortunately I'd have to repeat the leaving cert to do another course, which I'm not prepared to do. I am aware that it is almost impossible to get a job with just an arts degree, which is why I am asking about the prospects of doing a masters or H-Dip after my undergraduate degree.

Advertisement