Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So your band didn't get selected for HWCH .....

Options
  • 13-08-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Neither did ours!! :(

But instead of feeling pissed off about it I was thinking of organizing a side show spin off night and calling it Lazy Upper Class Villains on the same weekend as HWCH, maybe upstairs in Whelans as a venue.

so any bands interested in putting our collective resources together send me a PM asap as we'll need to book the venue soon.

BTW: Our band are folk/pop/alt.

BTW: this is a serious post :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

right now there are two bands interested in this.

anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

p.m me to find out more.

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

HWCH is a load of balls anyhow. A pi55 up for promoters and "industry insiders". Count yourselves lucky you didn't get on it. You'd have wasted time getting to a half empty random venue and stuck on at some god awful time.
    If you're part of the "scene", you're grand. You don't have to apply to these things.
    I can't think of any decent band that "made it" thanks to HWCH.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Johnatorium

seachto7 wrote: »
    HWCH is a load of balls anyhow. A pi55 up for promoters and "industry insiders". Count yourselves lucky you didn't get on it. You'd have wasted time getting to a half empty random venue and stuck on at some god awful time.
    If you're part of the "scene", you're grand. You don't have to apply to these things.
    I can't think of any decent band that "made it" thanks to HWCH.

Couldn't agree more. A festival of backslapping organised for people who seem to think they are "in the industry". Bands would do well to avoid it, unless you want to surround yourself with self-obsessed "muso's".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 jaykayathome

I'm getting used to getting p.f.o emails now! I'd love to do something like this, but t'would be only me and my little 'ol guitar!
    Keep us in the loop if ye get something sorted.

I'm getting used to getting p.f.o emails now! I'd love to do something like this, but t'would be only me and my little 'ol guitar!
    Keep us in the loop if ye get something sorted.

thanks for the reply. Pm me with your email address and I'll let you know whats going on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Ugh.... had to google this to see what it was .... it has a .Net domain....

nothing-to-do-here-meme.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mockingbird

What a fantastic idea, i was wondering if you'd gotten your quota of singer/songwriters yet, if not i'd be very intrested in getting involved in this with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Couldn't agree more. A festival of backslapping organised for people who seem to think they are "in the industry". Bands would do well to avoid it, unless you want to surround yourself with self-obsessed "muso's".

I'll try and make sure I'm around for the Q&A next week. ;)

I don't see any advantage in playing at HWCH other than you get to play to a bunch of people on the beer and you might get laid out of it,and it's a night out in Dublin. You can organise support slots etc in any of the venues used in your own time if you put your mind to it. If you're good enough, you'll get a slot. Yeah, it's probably grand to say "we played at HWCH", but I'd love to hear from bands and musicians who felt that playing at something like this directly benefited them.

With a bit of work, you can get on regional and national radio without HWCH. Again, they might help you get a session, but what's going to come out of it?

I could well be wrong and will hold my hands up if so. You might get some lad or lassie working in "the industry" who'll come up and say "wow, you were amaaaaazing", and the question you should be asking them is "enough of the sh*te talk, what are YOU actually going to do for us then if you think we're so good?"

If you have the songs, you don't need to go within an asses roar of HWCH.

If you do get on it, have a look at your venue and time slot compared to some other bands, and ask yourself if it's even worth showing up.

Also, have a look at some of the people who might be organizing it or on "panels", and look to see if they are managing any bands at it, and where they are playing etc.

So don't worry about it kids. Keep driving on, and you'll get there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement