Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help stress testing Plex server

Options
  • 13-08-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Hi hope i am not too cheeky with this request

I am presently building a Plex server and want to check out my bandwidth and transcoding needs with a bit of help

if anybody is interested, could you drop me your Plex username in a PM and I will invite you to my Server for an extended test of around one week

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Who's your BB with? The transcoding happens server side and is then pushed to the source the same way as if no transcoding was happening.

I have a Plex server too, 3MB upload and streaming 720p / 1080p streams works very well (going to my dad's poor 3MB connection, through Plex app to Chromecast).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

advertsfox wrote: »
    Who's your BB with? The transcoding happens server side and is then pushed to the source the same way as if no transcoding was happening.

I have a Plex server too, 3MB upload and streaming 720p / 1080p streams works very well (going to my dad's poor 3MB connection, through Plex app to Chromecast).

yes but I am going to share to a few family members and they have Ruku boxes which don't support mvks (which the majority of my stuff is in), so they will have to transcode so want to stress the bejasus out of the CPU on the server before I commit

oh my bandwidth is massive its a 1GB up\down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

kingtiger wrote: »
    yes but I am going to share to a few family members and they have Ruku boxes which don't support mvks (which the majority of my stuff is in), so they will have to transcode so want to stress the bejasus out of the CPU on the server before I commit

oh my bandwidth is massive its a 1GB up\down

The roku will support mkv, Im running plex last 2 years. What you need to be careful of is the audio thats where the bulk of the transcoding comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

yes Doylers i was reading about that just now, I suppose the easiest way would be to convert DTS to say AC3 on the MKV HD movies I have

TV shows would be fine as they are mostly a mix of MKV to MP4s and all have AC3 sound

Advertisement