Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on this video

• 13-08-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

This started out with an innocent facebook post on my newsfeed in which the person who posted it said the dog was trying to "save the fish" along with "how tender and caring he is", "there are no words for the sweetness" etc etc .:pac::pac:

I commented that there was no way this dog was saving the fish, rather it was, albeit unsuccessfully, trying to "bury" the fish for later as a food source. Dogs do this all the time even when there's no substance to actually bury the object with. My dog used to try with all her might to bury her bones using the carpet.:P Well.....we've now ended up in this ridiculous debate with the other person saying that I'm cynical and of course this dog is trying to revive the fish. It's actually hilarious now and I'm just replying to wind them up even more.

Thoughts?

Saving or burying? 2 votes

Saving
    0% 0 votes
    Burying
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Im with you Anniehoo.... he is trying to bury the fish to eat it later on... preferably when its half rotting and decaying :p

def not "reviving" the fish ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sorry to disappoint your new friend but for a dog to be "reviving" a fish it would imply knowledge that a fish needs water to breath which is humanisation of the dog beyond the usual level of "he's looking guilty".

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

Definitely burying, Bandy uses the same technique to bury bones or other stuff. Poor boy is unaware that the second he turns away, Amy goes and steals his prized possessions :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Lol trying to revive the fish. I've had dogs over the years with skint noses from trying to revive their toys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The worst part about the whole "debate" that's going on is that the person is a vet :o

I kid you not!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

anniehoo wrote: »
    The worst part about the whole "debate" that's going on is that the person is a vet :o

I kid you not!
    Well if George Bush can be voted in as an American president (twice!) I can believe anything about human stupidity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I saw that on a dog training group. I posted a video of Harley doing the exact same thing with a raw bone and cut grass. Down to the way the dog in the video pokes the fish. Definitely burying behaviour (unless Harley was trying to revive the beef bone with the grass......)

Edit: here is the video - he spent about an hour and a half doing it! I had to stop him and when he came in his nose was all green :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've seen this being shared all over FB, and everyone thats sharing it is saying how sweet it is, how dogs are better than humans etc. To me, it is burying, my dogs have done this, burying things with air, bless them, they obviously think they are covering it up and keeping it safe for later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I think he's trying to bury it too. My girl has buried bones in the couch! But I wonder how young the dog is and how new he is to seeing fish lying about like that? Most dogs you would think would snatch the tasty fish and run off with it.

We often get a beetle or two scuttling across the floor - over the years - it turns into beetle chasing, for dogs and then a little chomping etc; (Cruel but only happens if we don't save said beetle first!)

But our young guy saw a beetle on the floor the other night and he made the most unusual groaning sound at him - like a mournful cry - a few hours later the beetle was still lying on the tiles, in one piece - but he was dead. It was like the dog just didn't understand that he had hurt the creature - Now I know that sounds like I'm anthromorphosising (spelling?) but maybe because it was his first experience with a beetle he didn't know what to do - in this case it may be the dogs first experience with still wriggling fish and he's confused as hell - either way I don't think he'd know their need was for water.

I showed the video to my 12 year old daughter. She thinks it is hilarious that people think he is trying to revive the fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

muddypaws wrote: »
    I've seen this being shared all over FB, and everyone thats sharing it is saying how sweet it is, how dogs are better than humans etc. .

This is the thing. While it's very obvious to me the dog is trying to bury the fish, I was curious whether this is just obvious to dog people or to everyone. Clearly it's not obvious to everyone going by the absolutely mental responses I've read about the video online. I'm more shocked at the person I debated it with as they should know better.

anniehoo wrote: »
    This is the thing. While it's very obvious to me the dog is trying to bury the fish, I was curious whether this is just obvious to dog people or to everyone. Clearly it's not obvious to everyone going by the absolutely mental responses I've read about the video online. I'm more shocked at the person I debated it with as they should know better.

It is all dog people sharing it that I have seen, who yes, I would expect to know better. As Nody said earlier, for a dog to be trying to put the fish back in water, they would need to understand that fish need water to breathe, now I have some intelligent dogs, but I think that kind of reasoning would be beyond them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nancicreedon IAABC

Anthropomorphism 1 = Logic 0

:)

Perhaps that vet thinks this dog would make a fab new nurse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My dogs both do that with bones when they are full, Tiffi hides dry food in her bed by pushing blanket over it with her nose or paws.
    It surprises me how even the smartest of people will believe any crap posted on Facebook!
    Particularly if there's a cute animal in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

annie this wouldn't be the same vet that tries to revive a hat in the specsavers add by any chance would it

Who voted the dog was saving the fish???

*Looks around for DBB*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Knine wrote: »

*Looks around for DBB*

The fish?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Knine wrote: »

*Looks around for DBB*

Lol,
    You're all wrong.
    Clearly the dog is trying to show the fish that he's the pack leader.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Bless! How could anyone think a dog knows a fish needs water?! When we got Oz from the pound he would do this on the timber floor and his treat for hours if we let him. He has since figured out its better to eat his treats straight away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

That's mad, the dog is definitely trying to bury the fish! Not sure how anyone could say its otherwise...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Here is Frodo trying to 'save' his food buying pushing SFA over it:

The American Kennel Club have now shared the dog trying to save the fish video, very worrying how people who are regarded as experts really have no idea of basic dog behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

A daycare and training centre posted this video yesterday saying that the dog is trying to save the fish. That's a bit worrying. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Just saw this, have to say I got a giggle out of it :D

http://imgur.com/gallery/o2hBB

Advertisement