Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Real Madrid be more successful than Peps Barca

• 13-08-2014 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭

Well lads can they? I think they've a serious chance of winning everything this year as most people think. If they go on to be successful and win all trophies will they be considered better than Peps Barca?

With the additions of Kroos/James they have definitely got stronger. With a outrageous front line of: Ronaldo/Benzema/Bale leading into Kroos/James/Modric . They show serious promise.

No team has ever won 2 consecutive Champions Leagues. Can they? Peps Barca have gone down in the history books, but this team have serious potential. The baiting they gave Bayern Munich last year showed that they can smash the big teams.

Known for there counter attack every team will struggle against them I feel.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If they go on to be successful and win all trophies will they be considered better than Peps Barca?

They would have to do it for 3 or 4 consecutive years to be considered just as good....never mind better. They could do it, but I doubt it. Real are a blip away from sacking their manager at all times.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

With the exception of Barcelona and perhaps Atlético Madrid they won't face much competition in La Liga, so the Champions League will be the real test for them. I think their squad is a bit unbalanced. I don't think their defense is that convincing and their midfield is missing a bit of bite thanks to an ageing Xabi Alonso and Khedira perhaps not being as good as he once was. I haven't seen a lot of Illarramendi. Is he good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Soldie wrote: »
    With the exception of Barcelona and perhaps Atlético Madrid they won't face much competition in La Liga, so the Champions League will be the real test for them. I think their squad is a bit unbalanced. I don't think their defense is that convincing and their midfield is missing a bit of bite thanks to an ageing Xabi Alonso and Khedira perhaps not being as good as he once was. I haven't seen a lot of Illarramendi. Is he good?

Nothing special from what I've seen. Can't see him getting a look in into that team, 30mill was a lot for a player who doesn't seem great. Perhaps somebody can enlighten me if they know more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

They can be as successful or moreso no doubt, but one of the reasons Peps Barca was lauded as highly as they were was due to their style of play and the fact that so many of them came through the youth ranks.

So many will say, and hard to argue, that this Real side were the best, but the most expensive side ever assembled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

andersonwowisgod is now supporting real madrid......believe!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

IllarramendiIsGod sounds just as silly. :P

Don't see how this has any relevance to the thread... but okay....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Questions remain over Casillas, huge questions. The back line and centre of midfield looks like it can be got at but that front 4 is the best around, no doubt about it and could make up for any short comings at the back.

Trying to keep them out while scoring yourself looks to be a near impossible task, this team could blitz the La Liga goal scoring record this coming year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The thing about this team is that they have the talent to almost walk on water in football terms when going forward. What they might be missing is the romanticism and passion that the Barcelona team had with a lot of players and coaches who came through the ranks at the club.

Their defense does not look up to it though and I'd expect to see them beat by pacy counter attacking teams on occasion.

On their day they are capable of spanking the best teams but you are never going to be invincible with a back line that includes Pepe, Marcelo and Carvajal. Casillas looks done too and there is a big question mark as to whether Keylor Navas can handle the pressure of playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world. Alonso doesn't look the same player either and Illarmendi has stuggled since he went there. Unless Khedira can stay fit for the season, and he seems to be out of favour too, then they are going to lose out too often in midfield to dominate in La Liga and Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,801 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I hate these really specualtive threads.
    Can they?
    Yes.
    Will they?
    Come back to me in 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Varane is handy enough and I suspect that Casillas might be dropped, shouldn't have been near that Spanish wc side.

kippy wrote: »
    I hate these really specualtive threads.
    Can they?
    Yes.
    Will they?
    Come back to me in 4 years.

You must hate the transfer thread so..

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

No way will this team be more successful. It's a good team but it seriously lacks balance. The back 4 bar Ramos is very ordinary. Marcelo is dcent going forward but is poor defensively. Casillas is not even close to keeper he once was and the new guy Navas is unproven. Look at their team last night and they had 3 attacking mids starting, 2 of them in defensive mid positions and one spent most of the game on the left wing.
    Fair enough they won the CL and Copa del Rey last season but they also finished third in the league with a fairly similar squad.
    They could be a very successful side but no way will they reach the heights of Barca from 2009-2011.

I'm suprised so many talking about Madrids back line. Barcas was much worse imo.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A lot will depend if they stick with Ancelotti or feck about with managers as they tend to do

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Not even close.

The answer to the thread is also no. A collection of fantastic players, but lacking the team ethic or philosophy of the great Barcelona side.

Not even close.

The answer to the thread is also no. A collection of fantastic players, but lacking the team ethic or philosophy of the great Barcelona side.

What has philsophy/ethics got to do with success? I'm a fan of Barca myself but that's talking b*llox . I asked could they before more successful? The reasoning your giving me is that they arn't as ethical/philisophical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Not even close.

The Barcelona sales & marketing team have really done a number on you, havent they...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Until they fix the back line Real Madrid are open to question. Imagine if they just spent one transfer window working on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Is retaining the European Cup different from retaining the CL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

They'd want to be fairly successful considering the amount of money they've spent. An obscene amount paid for transfers.

The fact that they're a young team (average squad age of 25) will certainly help things. They need to keep Ancelotti in place regardless of what happens this season. Also think that Kroos shouldn't be played alongside Modric as it creates an imbalance.

Could very well go on to dominate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

That attack 4 of Ronny, Rodriguez, Bale and Benzema is lethal on paper but it won't be like that in practice if I'm honest. Barcelona under Pep obviously had some of the best individual players in the world but they worked better as a team. I can't see that happening with the current Madrid team. Honestly a front three of Rodriguez, Bale and Ronaldo who can all alternate in those three positions would be so much better but it looks like Benzema with the three behind is the way it's going to be

What has philsophy/ethics got to do with success? I'm a fan of Barca myself but that's talking b*llox . I asked could they before more successful? The reasoning your giving me is that they arn't as ethical/philisophical?

The reasoning for my answer is that while they will win competitions (due to the sheer amount of talent at their disposal) I absolutely believe they will no have the sustained success that Barcelona had because I honestly don't believe a counter attacking side or a side who relies so heavily on the individual over the unit can prosper for a sustained period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That attack 4 of Ronny, Rodriguez, Bale and Benzema is lethal on paper but it won't be like that in practice if I'm honest. Barcelona under Pep obviously had some of the best individual players in the world but they worked better as a team. I can't see that happening with the current Madrid team. Honestly a front three of Rodriguez, Bale and Ronaldo who can all alternate in those three positions would be so much better but it looks like Benzema with the three behind is the way it's going to be

They'll probably stick Falcao in there as well. For the laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

JPA wrote: »
    They'll probably stick Falcao in there as well. For the laugh.

To think Isco and Di Maria probably will get very limited time this season is an absolute joke (if the latter does in fact stay). Isco especially should leave next summer....incredible talent but will never get a kick. Liverpool should definitely use the Suarez money to land him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

How they could let Diego Lopez go off to Milan and stick with Casillas in goal is beyond me, Lopez is a better keeper, if Keylor Navas doesn't see more football than Casillas this season it'll be a great injustice to him.

The sentiment in Spain for likes of Casillas is far too much, out of 7 goals Spain conceded at the WC you could argue that he was to blame for 4 of them. How he (and Reina) started ahead of De Gea is well beyond me, Diego Lopez must have been raging to be left out of that squad with Casillas and Reina in it.

Iker almost cost Real Le Decima if Ramos didn't save his sorry arse at the end. But the thing is, he's one of those sort of players at Real that if Ancelotti decided to rightfully drop him permanently he could easily have some of the squad turn against him, just like when AVB dropped Lampard at Chelsea.
    All that being said, the Spanish press were tearing him a new one the past week, and rightly so.

He, and their back 4 (particularly Pepe and Ramos), are the areas where Real Madrid could potentially fall down and stop them from becoming more successful than Pep's Barça. Varane is a superior CB to both Pepe and Ramos, he really really should get starting more, especially ahead of Pepe. I still think RB is Sergio Ramos' best position, he's too much of a defensive liability to play centrally.

Nailz wrote: »
    How they could let Diego Lopez go off to Milan and stick with Casillas in goal is beyond me, Lopez is a better keeper, if Keylor Navas doesn't see more football than Casillas this season it'll be a great injustice to him.

The sentiment in Spain for likes of Casillas is far too much, out of 7 goals Spain conceded at the WC you could argue that he was to blame for 4 of them. How he (and Reina) started ahead of De Gea is well beyond me, Diego Lopez must have been raging to be left out of that squad with Casillas and Reina in it.

Iker almost cost Real Le Decima if Ramos didn't save his sorry arse at the end. But the thing is, he's one of those sort of players at Real that if Ancelotti decided to rightfully drop him permanently he could easily have some of the squad turn against him, just like when AVB dropped Lampard at Chelsea.
    All that being said, the Spanish press were tearing him a new one the past week, and rightly so.

He, and their back 4 (particularly Pepe and Ramos), are the areas where Real Madrid could potentially fall down and stop them from becoming more successful than Pep's Barça. Varane is a superior CB to both Pepe and Ramos, he really really should get starting more, especially ahead of Pepe. I still think RB is Sergio Ramos' best position, he's too much of a defensive liability to play centrally.

Varane is a good young center back but he must be the most overrated player in European football. Better than Ramos? At this moment in time that is absolutely not the case, I'd still have Pepe ahead of him too even though he is prone to moments of madness. The Varane love-in bamboozles me, he's talented but nowhere near as good right now as so many seem to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Varane is a good young center back but he must be the most overrated player in European football. Better than Ramos? At this moment in time that is absolutely not the case, I'd still have Pepe ahead of him too even though he is prone to moments of madness. The Varane love-in bamboozles me, he's talented but nowhere near as good right now as so many seem to believe.
    Disagree with regard to Ramos and Pepe, I do believe Varane is better than both of them, he's just far more intelligent than both of them, his positioning is better, and for 20/21 he is physically very good, I think those are the most important things about central defenders, but intelligence and how often you get caught out is prime, and Pepe nor Ramos are anywhere near as good as Varane there I believe, although Ramos is "cunning".

He reminds me of Rio Ferdinand, players like John Terry were deemed more impressive because he went flying in with last ditch tackles or came out of aerial battles more frequently, but Rio was such a good intelligent defender he rarely had to do any of those things, and those are the best types of defenders, and I think Varane will end up fitting in that category, if not now.

I think reliability is the most important thing you could have in a goalkeeper and your defenders, and I don't think Pepe or Ramos provide that, Ramos is more suited to RB.

Advertisement