Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dingle Marathon 2014 - 6 September

Options
  • 13-08-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Anyone running The Dingle full on 6 September?

More importantly, did anyone run it last year? How hilly is it and just how tough is the infamous hill at mile 20-21? Is it necessary to take it easy for the first 20 miles to save something for the hill or is that just crazy talk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Tester46 wrote: »
    More importantly, did anyone run it last year? How hilly is it and just how tough is the infamous hill at mile 20-21? Is it necessary to take it easy for the first 20 miles to save something for the hill or is that just crazy talk?

I've run it, but not last year.

Yep, it's hilly.
    Yep, that last hill is steep and long and high. Most runners seem to walk at least some of it.

All marathons are tough. Hilly ones like Dingle are a little bit tougher but if you can run one marathon you can run any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Heading down as well, and looking forward to it.
    My game plan would be to run the marathon as normal up to that hill, and run/walk the hill. Hopefully have some bit in the tank to have a decent finish after it.

I don't think I could ever regarding this as a PB course, and I don't think many would.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Lovely marathon. Put the hill out of your mind and run normally. When you get to the hill take your time, shorten your stride. IIRC the first 200 metres are the steepest and then it feels grand (relatively speaking). You'll be booting it again on a downhill after you crest it and turn the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Thanks! How long is that last hill, half a mile, one mile, more? I can't figure it out from the website. That sounds like good advice - run it as normal and deal with the hill when I get to it. It's a beautiful part of the world so hopefully I'll be distracted by the lovely views!

Thanks! How long is that last hill, half a mile, one mile, more? I can't figure it out from the website.

It's about 2.5k/1.5 miles miles long and elevation gain is about 100m.

Look at the bright side - compared to Conor Pass, which the Ultra runners have to climb before even setting foot onto the marathon course, it's a minor speed bump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Thanks! How long is that last hill, half a mile, one mile, more? I can't figure it out from the website. That sounds like good advice - run it as normal and deal with the hill when I get to it. It's a beautiful part of the world so hopefully I'll be distracted by the lovely views!
    It's about 2.5k/1.5 miles miles long and elevation gain is about 100m.

Look at the bright side - compared to Conor Pass, which the Ultra runners have to climb before even setting foot onto the marathon course, it's a minor speed bump.

Funny - I didn't think it was that long but looking back at my garmin profile it is :o

Tester46 - if you're running for a target time you'll want 2 or 3 mins up your sleeve but if you've no hard target in mind don't worry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I was about to enter the full off training of 10 mile weeks until I was ''advised'' against it by the missus... She's doing the full and I'll do the half to occupy myself for a while... Looking forward to the party after!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I was about to enter the full off training of 10 mile weeks until I was ''advised'' against it by the missus... She's doing the full and I'll do the half to occupy myself for a while... Looking forward to the party after!!

You could offer your services as a 6 hour pacer for the full ;)

pistol_75 wrote: »
    You could offer your services as a 6 hour pacer for the full ;)

I have run the grand sum of 2 miles since that awful R 'n' R pacing gig!..... It left my legs in bits and sucked all enthusiasm for running out of me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Signed up for the Full Marathon. Looking forward to the hills at Mile 21. Should be interesting to say the least. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Obviously a big boards crowd heading down to this so... ;)

Must check out the weather!

I was awake at 5am this morning, mind racing, unable to sleep.
    That race must occupy more of my mind than I would have thought!

I was awake at 5am this morning, mind racing, unable to sleep.
    That race must occupy more of my mind than I would have thought!

Did you sleep in the Airia's? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good time by G'Oh on that course for the win in 2:29!!
    Well done also to Claralara for winning the ladies race while on a training run.

Great race, as always.

Was a bit sad to say goodbye to the 50 miler for good, but we gave it a good send off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Great race, as always.

Was a bit sad to say goodbye to the 50 miler for good, but we gave it a good send off :)

You certainly did congratulations on the podium

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GerHorgan

Video of the Marathon here :vimeo.com/105446967

Photos of the Marathon are here : goo.gl/HPYuJx

Long and rambling (seriously!) race report:
    http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.ie/2014/09/the-long-goodbye.html

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Did the Marathon - really enjoyed the scenery and challenging course.

Fantastic support all along the course. Special mention to the family on the downhill section around mile 23/24 who were insisting that I could throw used cup anywhere - Made me smile. The straight road from mile 24-25 for me was probably the toughest.. never ending!

Really happy with my own performance - decent PB and my Second half split was only 40secs slower than first so can't complain.

Congratulations to the organisers on a superb event.

Advertisement