Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Branding advice

Options
  • 13-08-2014 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I own a company with its own brand which I developed in 2011/2012 however now I discover a company in the UK with same name and similar brand, I suspect they copied our logo as I researched the name extensively before hand and registered it in Ireland, but shortly after initally setting up our company and social media page we were followed by them on twitter then the account was blocked.

Any advice who I can consult about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

someone who deals in trademarks or intellectual property would be a good one or a company solicitor dealing with company law/plagiarism/passing off..? unless its trademarked, i dont think theres much hope.

Look at the likes of Al di/Li dl, even brands that are trademarked, established for centuries and they virtually copy household names across all products but brands are cautious about pursuing them because they would have to prove that the copied brand is out to deceive and confuse the buyer into thinking that the copied product is actually connected in some way to the original.. which Joe shopper knows it isnt.

its a grey minefield. A solicitor will best advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

You need a trade mark agent to look at this. here is a list http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/trademark_agents_register.aspx. I suspect that proof of date of first use will be needed to establish copyright if you have an unregistered mark. Professional advice is your only option, most of these firms will give a first consultation free, if you ask for one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I can suggest someone to you by PM if you are stuck.

You will need to think carefully about what you want to do and whether it is worth actioning this. If neither of you has a community trade mark and neither of you wants to trade outside your own territories, there isn't necessary a problem from a trademark point of view.

You may feel aggrieved that your hard work has been stolen. That is a matter of copyright and design rights. It is a different sort of intellectual property.

You need good advice and to take your time about deciding what to do next.

Advertisement