Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi Arabia?

Options
  • 13-08-2014 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I was seriously considering going to Saudi Arabia on a holiday next year, but I have heard that it's one of the most difficult countries to visit. There doesn't seem to be a free 30 day tourist visa on arrival, and instead I have been told that I must travel in a group of 4. Is this true?

How do I go about sorting out a visa and is there a Saudi embassy in Dublin?

All of the online links have guided me to mislead information

Has anyone ever been to Saudi Arabia before?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Saudi Arabia generally doesnt give tourist visas, this has been slightly relaxed in the last few years but you must be a part of a tour group, for example you can visit to go scuba diving, but it is more expensive that the other side of the red sea. There is an Embassy in Merrion square.
    What exactly are you expecting to see in Saudi?

http://www.diving-world.com/saudi.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,423 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Irishguy16 wrote: »
    I was seriously considering going to Saudi Arabia on a holiday next year, but I have heard that it's one of the most difficult countries to visit.

I've been to Saudi Arabia (Jeddah) on business. What are you expecting to do if/when you get there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Saudi Arabia has sand and shopping malls. If you like either, then well worth a trip. If you dont, run a mile. There is NOTHING else there.

There is NOTHING else there
    This isn't actually true and i would guess that i have seen more of that country than anyone here posting here. Have you visited Madain Saleh? or what about one possible location of Mount Sinai, or the Wahbah crater, or the mountains of the Asir, or the Nafud desert. I have to admit that there aren't too many man made wonders to be seen, but the country itself is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Irishguy16

coylemj wrote: »
    I've been to Saudi Arabia (Jeddah) on business. What are you expecting to do if/when you get there?

I'm going to Doha in Qatar early next year and I want to cross the border seeing as I am gonna be so close. I would even welcome a day trip if possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'm going to Doha in Qatar early next year and I want to cross the border seeing as I am gonna be so close. I would even welcome a day trip if possible

Do you have any concept of the size of Saudi Arabia? Crossing the border for a day trip isn't going to get you very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

smurfjed wrote: »
    This isn't actually true and i would guess that i have seen more of that country than anyone here posting here. Have you visited Madain Saleh? or what about one possible location of Mount Sinai, or the Wahbah crater, or the mountains of the Asir, or the Nafud desert. I have to admit that there aren't too many man made wonders to be seen, but the country itself is amazing.

Sounds like The Holy Stone of Clonrichert

But a hole in the ground and a desert doesn't really sound that interesting either.

I guess if your scared of women drivers its a great place to visit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,423 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't think that's possible for a European, there's no mention of tourist visas on any of the local (London or Dublin) Saudi embassy websites.

Smurfjed (poster above) is in the aviation business, I think he's a pilot so will have more up to date info. but I'd caution you on two things that you need to consider...

1. Saudi drives (all male) have chronically bad driving habits and I strongly suspect that if you hire a car in Qatar, the hirer won't be allowed you to take it into Saudi Arabia.

2. Unless she's living in an expat compound, a western woman in Saudi Arabia will find conditions intolerable in terms of personal freedom - what she can wear, can't drive a car, must be accompanied by an adult male when out and about etc. So if there is a woman in your party, I'd just forget about visiting Saudi Arabia, fly to Abu Dhabi or Dubai for a couple of days instead.

Aha, well that isn't going to happen, and even if it did, the area between Doha and Riyadh is desert, lots and lots and lots of SAND, truthfully not worth the effort.

If want to visit somewhere interesting, try going to Shiraz and visiting

Advertisement