Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tackling English

• 13-08-2014 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I find English very difficult to study for, I was wondering does anyone know the best way to study for English Higher Level and write good quality essays?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I find English very difficult to study for, I was wondering does anyone know the best way to study for English Higher Level and write good quality essays?

What do you mean study for?

You find it hard to motivate yourself or you find the material difficult to understand?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Read good quality novels/stories.
    Then read some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Music4Life085

quad_red wrote: »
    What do you mean study for?

You find it hard to motivate yourself or you find the material difficult to understand?

It's not so much the understanding, I think the quality of my work isn't up to standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭brian888

Practise. Write more short essays about anything and everything. Try describing a place in less than 300 words perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    Read good quality novels/stories.
    Then read some more.
    brian888 wrote: »
    Practise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Practice. Practice. Practice.

You can read books about how to write an essay or read long critiques as to whether Hamlet was mad.

But, all of this is useless if you don't put it into practice.

So find a sample essay title or exam question then lock yourself into a room with an A4 pad or computer (which has no internet connection)
    and write. Stay there for a whole hour until you fill a a page or two. There is no easy way.

After a while, this process becomes easier. Try get somebody to look over your work.

It will tough at first but eventually you should get the knack of writing good essays / answers under a certain time period.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you have seen well written essays/stories/prose then it is much easier to do it yourself. Dickens, Burke, Austen, Bronte, Conrad - any of the classics.

Advertisement