Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with requirements

• 13-08-2014 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm going for the course DT025 and got well enough points but am afraid I only got a D2 in Maths while this requires a C3. But I found this information and was wondering what exactly it meant. Is there any way I can get in with a D2?
    Or is this just blind hope

Compensation Rule for Higher Leaving Certificate Results at Grade E
    One Grade E result at Higher Level will be accepted for the purposes of meeting minimum entry requirements provided the applicant has amongst his/her results:

Three Grade C3 results on Higher Level papers
    Or
    One Grade C3 and one Grade B3 on Higher Level papers

The Grade E result will not be counted for points and will not be accepted in any subject which is mandatory at Higher Level.

It could, however, be accepted where a subject is mandatory at Ordinary Grade D3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 STP50

Hi
    I do not believe this will apply as the HC3 in Maths in a mandatory requirement for Engineering
    'The Grade E result will not be counted for points and will not be accepted in any subject which is mandatory at Higher Level.'

DIT run a separate maths exam next week that would substitute your leaving cert maths result in order to meet entry requirement.

Mathematics Competency Test for Engineering Level 8 (Honours) Degree Programmes

The Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) is holding a Mathematics Competency Test (MCT) for applicants to its Level 8 (Honours) Engineering programmes that require a minimum grade of HC3 in Leaving Certificate Mathematics. The purpose of the MCT is to offer candidates an alternative route to achieve this minimum entry requirement.

The MCT is not obligatory and no extra CAO points are awarded for successful students. Those students that are successful will have met the minimum entry requirement of HC3 in Leaving Certificate Mathematics.

The MCT is set at a similar standard as the Leaving Certificate Honours Mathematics examination. Students that have studied the Leaving Certificate Mathematics curriculum at Honours Level are invited to sit the exam.

DIT is currently accepting applications to sit the MCT from those who have applied to DIT for a Level 8 Honours Engineering Programme which have a minimum requirement of a HC3 in Mathematics.*

August 2014 Tutorials & Test

Tutorial Dates: Monday 18th & Tuesday 19th August (2 days): Time: 9:30am to 1pm & 2pm to 5pm each day
    Test Date: Wednesday 20th August commencing at 9:30am (3 hours duration)
    Location of Tutorials: Lecture Rooms in DIT Kevin St (maximum 40 students per group)
    Location of Test: DIT Kevin Street [view map]
    Maths exam for Engineering 2013

Check out the DIT web site and apply directly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think STP is right, but contact DIT Admissions tomorrow to confirm.

And if so ...

1. Book into the MCT and the crash-course before it.

2. Get out your maths books and get your head in them in the meantime; if you can access a little help / grinds all the better.

3. Work your ass off for the next week.

If you got a D2 you are really not far off the required standard. It might be a pain to have to do it, but a week's hard work and a small bit of luck, and problem solved.

Advertisement