Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cash the cheque ?

Options
  • 13-08-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

Hi,

could someone give advice on cash the cheque ?

If i need get cash , and i have cheque on my name, can i get cash in any branch ? As i need money urgently, I have no time to lodge in bank (different bank) , and wait for God know how long arrive money to my account .
    cheque been issued from different city branch, too far away to trawel to, can i get cash in same bank branch in Dublin ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Hi,

could someone give advice on cash the cheque ?

If i need get cash , and i have cheque on my name, can i get cash in any branch ? As i need money urgently, I have no time to lodge in bank (different bank) , and wait for God know how long arrive money to my account .
    cheque been issued from different city branch, too far away to trawel to, can i get cash in same bank branch in Dublin ?

Thanks
    10 working days to clear a check.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I don't think any bank will cash a cheque for you anymore.

The quickest is if you have an account with that bank it should be in your account once your lodge it or the next working day

Any other bank is three working days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

can i get cash in same bank , but in different branch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The branch on which the cheque is drawn must cash a cheque for you provided (a) the cheque is not crossed, and (b) you have satisfactory identification.  If it is a very large cheque, you might have to jump through hoops because of regulations to deal with money-laundering.

No other bank, not even another branch of the bank on which the cheque is drawn, has such an obligation, and it is unlikely that they will facilitate you.

would 1.5k considered as large one? Never dealt with this for long time. just got money from insurance company for written off car , and  need money to buy another car to move around . otherwise need to use two transports to get to work which takes around an hour, with car it is 15 - 20 min  drive , ....  really have no much  free time  in business hours..

Probably will have to swap shifts, or take day off, take bus to that little city in another part of country,cash the cheque and buy car there locally ... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

A sum like €1.5k should not trigger money-laundering precuations. 

But slow down with your planning!

Institutions such as insurance companies normally cross cheques. That is done by drawing two parallel lines across the face of the cheque; there might be words written between or beside those lines (often something like "& co." or "A/c payee only". If that has been done, the cheque can not be cashed: it must be paid into a bank account - with the clearing time that is involved with that.

A crossed cheque can be negotiated. That means that you can endorse it (by signing it on the back and passing it on to another person). That person can then lodge it to his or her account. If it is a cheque from an insurance company and you are buying a car from a motor dealer, you might be able to pay for the car with the cheque you hold. It's less likely that a private seller would accept a cheque from you.

A sum like €1.5k should not trigger money-laundering precuations. 

But slow down with your planning!

Institutions such as insurance companies normally cross cheques. That is done by drawing two parallel lines across the face of the cheque; there might be words written between or beside those lines (often something like "& co." or "A/c payee only". If that has been done, the cheque can not be cashed: it must be paid into a bank account - with the clearing time that is involved with that.

A crossed cheque can be negotiated. That means that you can endorse it (by signing it on the back and passing it on to another person). That person can then lodge it to his or her account. If it is a cheque from an insurance company and you are buying a car from a motor dealer, you might be able to pay for the car with the cheque you hold. It's less likely that a private seller would accept a cheque from you.
    Thanks for advice. You saved whole day to me.
    Yes, there is two lines accross with A/C payee only. 

If i have in my mind my friends car, and he is happy to sell me for 1500, so can i endorse it , put his name at the back, go to his bank, and lodge that cheque on his account, so he will receive that money in 10 days ? 

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Mar4ix 

Thanks for contacting us on Boards.

You can make a cash withdrawal within our branches with photo identification, either passport or driving licence will suffice.

24 hour notice is required for amounts of 5k and above.

A small number of our branches have cashless days, if you are calling into a nearby branches today for this withdrawal, you can ring ahead to check this. Contact details can be found here

A personal cheque on your account can only be cashed in the branch it is drawn on and conditions can apply for example if cheque has crossings or account payee displayed on cheque.

Thanks
    Alison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Mar4ix

Sorry I misread the query in my first response to you.

A cheque from a third party usually needs to be lodged to your account. As P Breathnach correctly mentions, when it has 'account payee' written on cheque, it cannot be endorsed or cashed.

If it is a Bank of Ireland cheque, it takes 3 working days to clear when lodged into a Bank of Ireland Account. 

If it's a non-Bank of Ireland cheque being lodged to a Bank of Ireland Account, it takes 5 working days to clear. 

Any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Alison

Thanks Alison. I have lodged cheque and going to wait when money will arrive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement